Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm trying to root my Archos 43 Internet Tablet but looks like Archangel isn't compatible with my version of the firmware installed which is 2.2.1. I think Archangel only works with 2.0 and 2.1 firmewares.

Is there a version of Archangel that will root my A43 running 2.2.1?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:33 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Short version: No.

Long version:

If you want a fully rooted A43IT you need to install UrukDroid or CyanogenMod.

UrukDroid at xda-developers.com
CyanogenMod Bull at xda-developers.com

I've tried both and would suggest UrukDroid is better suited to an A43IT if only because the fonts in CyanogenMod Bull are too tiny (probably they look great on a 10 inch tablet) but you could probably replace the fonts via Android ADB. CyanogenMod Bull's video playback is also no good (no hardware accelerated playback). UrukDroid's native samba browsing is broken so while its video player does work it is a real pain in the backside to simply play video hosted on your local network. I ran into plenty of other issues with UrukDroid, especially very high CPU load, hence power consumption and lousy battery life, but on the other hand lots of people love it. It's probably worth trying and deciding for yourself if any of the issues are relevant to you or if having root outweighs them. I didn't keep CyanogenMod installed long enough to discover much more about it because if I can't use the hardware accelerated video player then the device isn't much use to me. I may try it again if that gets fixed (I can fix the fonts but I can't fix the video playback) as CyanogenMod for gen8 does seem to still be under development (bug reports are responded to). UrukDroid development is finished (the dev's gen8 device broke and that's that) so no more improvements.

Another possibility is to use Chulri's root Chulri's root at xda-developers.com

Chulri's root has a severe performance issue in r+w mode, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1305258 which won't be getting fixed (seems due to the way in r+w mode it needs to write all persistent changes to a mounted disk image disk, which leads to a huge amount of disk access). Read only mode would seem to be OK but then who wants root but doesn't want to write as root and make persistent changes?

I actually have Chulri's root in r+w mode as a dual boot because it does allow persistent changes to be made to the original firmware in some limited areas such as in /data/data so I have been able to make some config changes to apps which persist when I run the regular Archos firmware (which is 99% of the time). It also lets me back up installed .apk easily without needing any backup app.

So you might find a root solution that suits you but there is no ideal, and definitely nothing like a one click magic app now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Don't you need to have knowledge in Linux to do this?

I know nothing about Linux that would let me root and and mod it.

Tbh I'm trying to sell it and buy a dedicated mp3 player.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yes it helps to be familiar with Linux, but there are step by step guides so it isn't essential in order to install any of the above. But Android is also Linux based so if you want to be able to take advantage of a rooted Android device it helps a lot to know your way around.

If rooting the device looks too difficult then you have practically no prospect of modding it anyway. Rooting a device is just a process that puts you in control of it. If you're not sure how to proceed after that, or if you don't have an idea of what it is you want to achieve, then you won't be getting a benefit except perhaps a bit of a learning experience.

If what you really want is a better mp3 player then it might be worth trying Rockbox on your A43IT. http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=64167 It doesn't require root unless you want to make some custom eq settings or customise the player's screen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm no stranger to rooting Android devices and installing custom roms onto them. I've used Linux as an end user but haven't done any customisation with Linux.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If you have even a little familiarity with the command line you shouldn't have much trouble rooting your A43IT. I can't comment further because it isn't clear what you mean by customisation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FWIW, rooting an android O/S is basically meant to be able to customize various features including turning on and off things like selective flash options that might contain ads, popups, etc. also, running certain applications which are generally forbidden because they control various aspects of the hardware such as the boot screens, cpu regulation (overclocking), battery charging, "LOCKED" file manipulation including files in the protected rom area (which could brick or render the unit unbootable/un-useable). Other forbidden features including unprotecting protected apks / apps (aka hacking/cracking). Also it could be used for really malicious reasons.. some of which aren't worth outlining here..

On the whole, it's not worth the potential risks to older hardware.. I think some of the new hardware (Android 4 and up) comes with fallback provisions that will let you re-load the o/s from an SD card.. the Archos has it too, but it's not foolproof.. you CAN brick the unit beyond this capability if you dont' know what your doing.. after that, you're at the mercy of Archos rma proceedures.. lastly, rooting technically voids your warranty if there is any left-- and they will KNOW if the unit's been rooted even if it's restored to stock firmware and/or bricked with either onboard.