Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi

I've just joined the forum as I've just bought a Archos 43 Internet Tablet primarily for listening to music as my iPod Classic seems to be on its way out.

What I would like to know is what is best format for music?

All my music on my laptop has been converted to AAC for when I used the iPod.

My Archos 43 Internet Tablet is 16gb and I have 21gb worth of music so some tracks will have to be excluded.

Cheers

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I know MP3 works for audio and my video files encode audio as AAC so that should be okay. Someone else can give a definitive answer.

Remember you can add a uSD card for more memory on the Archos so the total storage is 16GB (SD1) plus another 16 or 32 GB (SD2).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was just about ask what the maximum size of SD card it would support?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:00 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Non-DRM itunes aac/m4a will be fine on the A43, as will mp3, ogg vorbis, flac, wav and most wma. I play all sorts of files (and lots of aac, wma, ogg vorbis and mp3 streams) and the only issue I sometimes encounter these days is with aac (in m4a) audio downloaded from the BBC which has huge amounts of metadata such as hundreds of words in the comment and lyric fields. Usually it's fine but occasionally I need to remux it and strip the lyric metadata. I don't remember having to do this for quite a while so probably this had more to do with the version of ffmpeg I was using to mux the files and has been solved by updating to newer ffmpeg. Basically your A43 can play just about any audio file you might encounter, and any (non-DRM) audio that it doesn't play (such as Musepack .mpc) with the built in player can be played with a free 3rd party player such as DeaDBeef. If you want to play back AC3 or DTS you will need to purchase the cinema plug-in.

The card slot supports micro SDHC. The micro SDHC specification covers capacities up to 32GB. I use a 32GB card in my A43IT with no problems. It may well support suitably formatted 64GB cards but there is no assurance of this: cards bigger than 32GB are SDXC and are formatted with exFAT file system. It's common for these cards to work in non-XC devices if formatted to FAT32 but there is no guarantee and also you lose the performance advantages of exFAT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDHC#SDHC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDXC#SDXC
https://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_43it/specs.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've ordered a 32gb SD card from Amazon for about £15 GBP.

Another problem is that Windows Media Player won't recognise the device, I have to manually add it everytime I want to sync any music to it.

When you play music from the SD card does it display album art etc?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

phil8715 wrote:
Another problem is that Windows Media Player won't recognise the device, I have to manually add it everytime I want to sync any music to it.

I'm not a Windows Media Player user so I don't know if that's usual.

phil8715 wrote:

Yes. On the SD card make a directory named Music and all the audio files and directories within will be integrated in the same way as those in the internal Music directory. If there is embedded art, or a jpg image in the folder, then album art is displayed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

julian67 wrote:
phil8715 wrote:

I'm not a Windows Media Player user so I don't know if that's usual.

phil8715 wrote:

Yes. On the SD card make a directory named Music and all the audio files and directories within will be integrated in the same way as those in the internal Music directory. If there is embedded art, or a jpg image in the folder, then album art is displayed.

What music player do you use if you don't use Windows Media Player?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I run Debian and use mpd server with ncmpcpp client on my desktop, or sometimes mplayer, or MPDroid on my A43IT. On my A43IT I listen with Rockbox for locally stored/shared audio and with DeaDBeef for streams. I don't bother with music apps that sync with devices, as having a sane directory hierarchy and doing simple copying seems reliable and easy enough to me. I wouldn't buy a device that can't work as a USB storage device so am not obliged to use a synchronising multimedia app or similar device managment software. Out of curiosity I connected my A43IT with 32GB card to Windows XP running WMP 11 and after a little wait WMP recognized the A43IT a two devices (internal and SD storage) and seemed ready to build a library/sync/rearrange or destroy all my files/or something. I didn't try it as I seemed to have managed fine without Billy G's kind assistance so far. WMP in this case would have been at whatever defaults it ships with. The application is a mystery to me so I can't offer any good advice except to maybe try a different cable and make sure your WMP settings are sensible (what sensible might be I don't know).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm running w7 64bit running running Windows Media Player 12.