Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does the camera really suck that much or is it me?
I mean it doesn't focus its ALWAYS so corny, even outside on a sunny day.
Its worse than early phone cameras.
And I do have it on best quality and biggest image, I also tried reducing it and stuff, and I have no filter on.
It can't really be that bad, can it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My A43 takes fine pictures, both indoor and outdoor.
Of course it is only 2 mpix resolution, not for serious printing, but good enough for facebook.
I use it all the time.

=D>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

kitube wrote:
Does the camera really suck that much or is it me?
I mean it doesn't focus its ALWAYS so corny, even outside on a sunny day.
Its worse than early phone cameras.
And I do have it on best quality and biggest image, I also tried reducing it and stuff, and I have no filter on.
It can't really be that bad, can it?

No it's not just you :D

It is a very poor camera, giving similar results as obtained on cheap feature phones. On top of this the location of the lens means it's almost always shooting through a smudge of fingerprint, pocket lint etc.

The images posted by racky actually illustrate the point rather than refute it: the A43 camera is OK as a visual notetaker but if you object to flare, colour casts, low resolution, low sharpness and poor saturation then use something else. You only need to spend £25 to get a new 5 megapixel camera with zoom, antishake, autofocus etc. that will completely outperform the camera on the A43. The only advantage it has over bargain basement cams is that it can shoot 720p video.

Remember though that the A43 is not a phone with an artificially low price subsidised by a network. You shouldn't expect the same quality of camera in £120 tablet as is found in a phone (unsubsidised) or in a tablet which costs between £300 and £600.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

racky wrote:

Of course it is only 2 mpix resolution, not for serious printing, but good enough for facebook.
I use it all the time.

=D>

how come yours makes so good pictures than?
are u using the standard app or a different one?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

julian67 wrote:
No it's not just you :D

It is a very poor camera, giving similar results as obtained on cheap feature phones. On top of this the location of the lens means it's almost always shooting through a smudge of fingerprint, pocket lint etc.

The images posted by racky actually illustrate the point rather than refute it: the A43 camera is OK as a visual notetaker but if you object to flare, colour casts, low resolution, low sharpness and poor saturation then use something else. You only need to spend £25 to get a new 5 megapixel camera with zoom, antishake, autofocus etc. that will completely outperform the camera on the A43. The only advantage it has over bargain basement cams is that it can shoot 720p video.

Remember though that the A43 is not a phone with an artificially low price subsidised by a network. You shouldn't expect the same quality of camera in £120 tablet as is found in a phone (unsubsidised) or in a tablet which costs between £300 and £600.

yeah ok, but compared to racky mine still suck. ist always so corny like the photo is made through dust or fog.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

kitube wrote:
racky wrote:

I use it all the time.

=D>

how come yours makes so good pictures than?
are u using the standard app or a different one?

Just the standard app. And the pictures look even better on a small phone screen like A43 or Iphone when the pictures shrink. For me, it is good enough for causal daily use, taking pictures that we only review once or twice in our lives or post on facebook. For more memorable pictures, I use my digital camera, something that has zooming, flash light, manual focus, ISO, shutterspeed, etc.

Two ourdoor pictures from A43.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

kitube wrote:
yeah ok, but compared to racky mine still suck. ist always so corny like the photo is made through dust or fog.

racky's photos are of static subjects that are reasonably well lit. Being static gives an opportunity to keep the camera steady. Beyond that it's impossible to say much because the settings on your camera are unknown (white balance, image size, effects). Even with a simple camera you can get reasonable results in reasonable conditions (ideally without mixed or fluorescent lighting) with a static subject, with the camera held steady or supported. And of course you need a clean lens. The fact you mention "like the photo is made through dust or fog" strongly suggests poor lighting resulting in underexposed noisy images, with blur caused by slow shutter speed and/or camera movement.

This is a very limited camera with fixed focus, very low resolution, no flash and a tiny plastic lens. It can only produce OK results with careful handling in certain circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Here is one of mine:

My very first picture taken with it(I think):

From bad lightning conditions:

And yes, it is quite worse than my Lumia 800 or my stand-alone camera, I wouldn't expect much more from 2MPx shooter without auto-focus.

Just a question, did you take the plastic film covering the lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

those pics are really great... I hope I have never seen such clear pictures from A43

Mine are worst.. but ofcourse for the FB... its ok..

regards,
Pearl