Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Driving App
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I noticed that the new Droid Razr when it is in it's car dock has enlarged onscreen buttons that are easier to work with when driving similar to what you would see in on a navigator. I've been looking for an app I could install on my Archos 43 that might do the same thing. I don't like trying to look at a touchscreen while driving but it would be nice to have a nice big skip track, pause/play button that I could almost hit without paying any attention to the device. Anyone know of an app that would do this? I haven't had much look searching for one.

Post subject: Re: Driving App
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You will probably be more successful using voice control. Laws differ from country to country but in many places it is an offence to operate a phone or tablet or similar device using buttons or screen presses while driving, because it can be extremely dangerous to do so. For example if you are travelling at 50 mph (80 kmh) then in one second you travel 73 feet, about 22 metres. Now consider the (in)famous resistive screen of the A43IT and you have to believe that sometimes you will spend a lot more more than one second trying to hit the right button in the right way. Meanwhile maybe you kill or injure someone, or yourself, or you get stopped by the police and receive a warning, a fine, or an irresistable invitation to make a cash donation to your uniformed friends. Better to search the market for voice control apps (the microphone on the A43IT is quite good and should easily be sensitive enough).

Post subject: Re: Driving App
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I completely agree and to add more, I found here Best smartphone driving apps for staying safe and saving cash interesting thoughts about driving apps. Hands-free applications are a necessity when driving. These driving applications are necessary too. That is, if you need to save money and not get as many speeding tickets.

Thanks and best regards.

Tyler