Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My A43 is standard and unmodified. I like the 854x480 screen which lets me watch more of my widescreen movies than the common 800x480 displays. The battery life is just fine on the optimal setting and the 30 fps MKV movies play smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

julian67; I think you and I both know that there are a lot of people with problems on their A43 units that have not been resolved by the firmware updates. Adrian also knows that they are persons like yourself who have A43s that work perfectly.

Let's not argue over one anothers opinion when we already know that depending on who you talk to, you will get a large number of people with both points of view.

The issue and I think you will agree is that there APPEARS to be a larger percentage of faulty units than what manufacturers typically accept. ie. Above the typical failure rate.

There are A43s that work fine. There are A43s that are not fine at all.

The question is in this year 2012, would either of you recommend someone to buy an Archos 43.

Personally I can't. Not when I know the chances of that person getting one that has the issues mentioned already is so high (in my opinion). My recommendation would be save some more money and buy something else. They could end up with a perfectly fine A43 if they are lucky. But why ask them to risk it, when they could do much better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Personally I like my A43. I will buy it again today if I have to unless something better comes out in the future with all the feature of A43(I don't care about the price). Most of the hardware faults that people talked about, eg. the front and the rear case moves & gap in between, cracking sounds when you touch the screen. non-responsive screen, a gap between the screen films, dead top speaker were true but only from those early batches, those that preloaded with Android 2.1. I returned mine last May and got a new one preloaded with Android 2.2 FW 2.1.08. and all those problems are fixed and gone. And I have been using it since then and never have those problems again. And that is why you don't hear people complain about anymore lately. So, if you are going to buy it now, make sure to buy it from a major retailer. And don't buy a used one because you never know whether it is one of the early batches or not. Not all the A43s are the same, the board version of mine is A43-V4, that might help.

A43 is the only one out there that is 4.3 inches and has BT tethering and HDMI HD output, nothing else. Not even the new Archos G9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

davidbec wrote:
The issue and I think you will agree is that there APPEARS to be a larger percentage of faulty units than what manufacturers typically accept. ie. Above the typical failure rate.

You can't possibly know the failure rate or returns data and neither can I, so there's no point anyone outside of Archos making any such assertion. I said that you can't extrapolate from a personal experience to a general conclusion. The same is true of anecdotal data or hearsay, especially on a board that serves as an unofficial helpdesk. For what it's worth I spent quite a few years doing tech support helpdesk for a large company (i.e. multi million customer base) and we found that about two thirds of reported faults could be resolved without repair or replacement because the issues were not a faulty product, but were instead caused by misunderstanding, misuse, attaching faulty or incompatible accessories and so on.

davidbec wrote:
would either of you recommend someone to buy an Archos 43.

I would definitely not discourage anyone from buying one. I would recommend anyone to try the device for themselves, and similar size competing devices as well. The A43IT is not a very good device if you want to do a lot of typing, but otherwise it makes an excellent bargain. There are people who seem to think they will get something like the 10" iPad or Galaxy for a fraction of the price, or that using a 4.3" screen doesn't have disadvantages compared to a screen the size of a small laptop. Trying it out should introduce some realism into the equation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

racky wrote:
Personally I like my A43. And don't buy a used one because you never know whether it is one of the early batches or not. Not all the A43s are the same, the board version of mine is A43-V4, that might help.
I like mine too. It also has a board version A43-V4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It depends upon what for you buy... !!

forget it if you are planning it for the camera.. :doubt:
Music is good.. ofcourse its better to go for a quality headphone/Earphone :D

Wifi signal not fantastic but is very decent.. I did not face any problem as my office Wifi is above my head and home wifi is at my foot 8)

Screen is really good like the capacitive touch products... :)

Resistive touch is a resistive touch.. so dont dream big... you ll get used to it in a few days... :doubt: as I have been though I am using a capacitive touch mobile phone... which is really requires soft touch... but from my experience the resistive touch of the A43 is the best... I had no problem at all using my nails or finger tips even while playing angry birds... 8)

One of the best thing of A43 I would say is the light weight design... and the flat finish... I personnaly love flat finish objects.. :p

If u have a low budget at the same time if you wanna enjoy entertainment... A43 is good.. which means... not bad at all... :badgrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pearlmaharajan wrote:
It depends upon what for you buy... !!

Man, this is an old thread. I bought it in Jan. I sold it in June. Advice is NOT needed anymore concerning the A43IT.
I now have a HTC Desire HD

Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes.. dude.. after posting only I realized... :(
I was totally excited to write something in the forum... and I did that... :D
any how I have it for the past 3months... and its OK with me for my limited usage..

enjoy life...

pearl