It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 6:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Worth buying a A43IT?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Guys,

I am from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I wonder if it's worth buying a A43IT(16GB) almost new for Ôé¼99,- ($125)which is almost new. I also know a guy with a new one for $139,- unused
He got this from his insurance.I am in the proces of buying.

I read about the bad things. But also about the good things. Every gear has good and bad points, right?

I have the SN from one so I wonder how to know if it is still under warrenty?

I also looked to a A5IT which has GPS but no camera.

I want to use it not only as a player or so.But surfing, checking mail, reading, youtube, etc.The usual stuff.Especially I like it size. But I like the size of the A5IT more.

Thanks for any answer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=55384

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

depends what you want from it, for an alternative, check this out

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61499

marcel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

marcel wrote:
depends what you want from it, for an alternative, check this out

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61499

marcel
Both thanks. I had read it but forgot it. Read it again last night.
I also read the A43IT couldn't be used for barcode scanning due the lack of the AF, it has a fixed zoom.
But it does seems to work. Do you know if the below app works too with scanning?
http://www.androidtapp.com/my-collection/

Basically I like to replace my crappy China WM8650 tablet. The Galaxy S4/5/50 series are more expensive, though have GPS and capacitive screen.I have a seperate keychain GPS receiver which will work on the A43IT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's sold new for 120EUR

http://www.sicomputers.nl/archos-43-int ... t-8gb.html

Scanning QR-codes will work, but barcodes won't...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

exelletor wrote:
It's sold new for 120EUR

http://www.sicomputers.nl/archos-43-int ... t-8gb.html

Scanning QR-codes will work, but barcodes won't...

Well according to this forum, barcodes work, QR codes sometimes!
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=43620

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just got back from the trainstation.
Tonight I bought one. It works great.The screen is working like you can/may expect from a resistive screen, like my Nokia 5800.
The system info tells me it has a board version A43-V4. And the firmware version is 2.4.32. As I said before it's a new one. Not upgraded, yet.

I am gonna look if an upgrade is worthwhile if I not, I leave it like it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

molecom wrote:
Just got back from the trainstation.
Tonight I bought one. It works great.The screen is working like you can/may expect from a resistive screen, like my Nokia 5800.
The system info tells me it has a board version A43-V4. And the firmware version is 2.4.32. As I said before it's a new one. Not upgraded, yet.

I am gonna look if an upgrade is worthwhile if I not, I leave it like it is.

I think you made a good choice. I just went to Bestbuy to try out all the tablets there. A43 is the only one there that have BT tethering ability and the size of 4 inches. Asus transformer also works and rocks but they don't have anything small, only 10.1 inches. All the others, Samsung Galaxy tabs, Galaxy player, Sony, etc, nothing works. So, it depends on how you use your tablet. If you just use it at home or at work, then it doesn't matter. But if you use it outside, then make sure you can have a portable internet access too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

racky wrote:

I think you made a good choice. I just went to Bestbuy to try out all the tablets there. A43 is the only one there that have BT tethering ability and the size of 4 inches. Asus transformer also works and rocks but they don't have anything small, only 10.1 inches. All the others, Samsung Galaxy tabs, Galaxy player, Sony, etc, nothing works. So, it depends on how you use your tablet. If you just use it at home or at work, then it doesn't matter. But if you use it outside, then make sure you can have a portable internet access too.
I think so too. I still don't regret buying it and that's a good sign. It does work good. And you get what you paid for. It is a good size, one of the reasons I bought it 4.Enough space to store, enough speed, Antutu says 2490 nice screen.Batterylife seems to be good. Thought.The buttons are small and fragile. But you can't have it all for this price. I also wanted to use it outside. I mean I want to be able to put it in my pocket of bagpack and get it out when needed, like for making note of checking e-mail via wifi, and so on. So not only for home use.

I would have liked the "A5IT" too but it doesn't has a cam. I must say the cam isn't very good. Though, I can scan barcodes.
As reported ZXing before doesn't work. "MyCollection" makes use of Xzing. I will experiment more.Basically I am satisfied. About new firmware. I haven't found a reason why I should install the latest since nothing for the "43" has changed.

Meanwhile I also installed the "normal" Android market./ I did the fix but probely I have to do it again and also clear the data of the google framework and force an stop like on my Polaroid tab.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also live in the Netherlands. If you got questions I am pleased to answer them (but then in dutch haha)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm Also a real dutchman, owned the 43 for one year now, stays oke even the battery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The Archos 43 is not really worth buying anymore at the street price of about $190(US$)! There are simply too many competitive products on the market in this price range albeit at larger screen form factors which now compete for shelf space! Many of these are running at a MINIMUM android 2.3 while the Archos 43 runs 2.2 still! Latest devices are FULLY 4.0 compatible with 1gb of RAM. With Apple's intro of the "NEW" ipad, hardware specifications will cause compettiion to become more competitive lower prices. Quad core processor w/ 1+gb or ram and a HD touchscreen will be the specifications to beat when the FALL shopping (back to school) season hits. Expect similar android hardware to be released if not later this year, early next year-- and that is why there will be agressive price chopping for curent android tablets (archos, being the arrogant exception).

What I"m really trying to say is you can get a 7" tablet for about the same price as an Archos 43 WITH a DUAL CORE PROCESSOR... albeit it still may have 256 or 512mb of ram (depending on which model and price), your still getting more screen real estate at the same price. They will have betewen 8 & 32gb of ram too. You can get quad core tablets starting at about $275 and up..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

tmc wrote:
The Archos 43 is not really worth buying anymore at the street price of about $190(US$)! There are simply too many competitive products on the market in this price range albeit at larger screen form factors which now compete for shelf space! Many of these are running at a MINIMUM android 2.3 while the Archos 43 runs 2.2 still! Latest devices are FULLY 4.0 compatible with 1gb of RAM. With Apple's intro of the "NEW" ipad, hardware specifications will cause compettiion to become more competitive lower prices. Quad core processor w/ 1+gb or ram and a HD touchscreen will be the specifications to beat when the FALL shopping (back to school) season hits. Expect similar android hardware to be released if not later this year, early next year-- and that is why there will be agressive price chopping for curent android tablets (archos, being the arrogant exception).

What I"m really trying to say is you can get a 7" tablet for about the same price as an Archos 43 WITH a DUAL CORE PROCESSOR... albeit it still may have 256 or 512mb of ram (depending on which model and price), your still getting more screen real estate at the same price. They will have betewen 8 & 32gb of ram too. You can get quad core tablets starting at about $275 and up..

Let me know if you can find a 4.3 inches tablet with Bluetooth tethering and TV out ability, then I am ready to switch. I don't need a 7 inches tablet, I already have a A70. That was why I bought the A43.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I agree with racky. How exactly does a person fit a 7" tablet in their pocket? I bought the A43IT because that's the size I wanted. I don't need a dual core processor or GBs of RAM just to play music, watch video, browse the www, read books, and that works just as well on Froyo as on Honeycomb or ICS. Some people will prefer to pay the extra £100 for a comparable player from Apple or Samsung but unless the capacitive screen is vital I think the Archos is at least as good, or better, in many ways.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There is supposed to be a Galaxy player 4.2 coming out. Saw it on either CES or MWC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yes, it's been announced i.e. https://www.pcworld.com/article/250741/samsung_announces_the_galaxy_s_42_media_player.html

Things you can guarantee: it will have a much nicer screen than the A43IT but also cost a lot more, probably 50% more for the same storage size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

At 50% more in price and 500% more in quality which one is cheaper?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

adrianb wrote:
At 50% more in price and 500% more in quality which one is cheaper?

The Archos is still cheaper. Simple facts don't bend under the weight of someone's unhappy feeling. The Samsung with capacitive screen will be nicer to use but "500%" is purely subjective, a mere assertion, and pretty much meaningless. The Samsung is not going to play audio 500% better than an A43IT, perhaps not even as well (Archos have always been good at audio playback while Samsung's Android devices have a poor reputation in this respect). When I read a book using fbreader the book won't be better on one device than the other, and the app won't feel any different either. If I use Osmand to plan a route I won't get a better route or a different experience on one device or the other. And so on. Of course some apps will be much better on the Samsung, but whether that is worth Ôé¼200, or anything at all, is not going to be the same for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm not talking about a feature by feature comparison here (like audio quality or something else), I am talking about the general usability of the product. I found it very unreliable. Whenever I push the power button I can't predict what's going to be next. Yesterday, for example, it was showing the "Entertainment your way" bless for ever (going off and on). And I don't use it too much (almost not at all - because it is so bad), so I don't have too many apps or data on it.
It also has the very ugly problem with the case bending in time ( I'm pretty sure it's because of the overheat) with the top and bottom faces getting apart so you can hear a click when you touch the screen. This is not excusable.
The only thing that I liked in the past, the battery life, is gone after latest upgrades and Arctools. The battery goes off after one day, even if keep it in Power Save mode.
You are right, it is very subjective because I don't really own a Samsung, I have a Motorola DroidX and a Motorola Xoom. The Droid X is same screen size and (beside the phone/GPS side) similar in features. When I consider it being 5 times better quality, I am very generous with Archos. And I consider Samsung being in the same class with Motorola, hence my 500% guesstimate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I don't see any reason to believe that a problematic device is typical while those which work fine are not, so I would hesitate to extrapolate your unsatisfactory experience into a general depiction of what it is like to use and own an A43IT. Other subjective elements are the user expectations and the different tasks different people perform (or try to) with their device. My expectations regarding build quality/feel and the screen were pretty realistic because I tried the A43IT in the store where I subsequently bought it. I've owned some really bad and some really good phones and tablets before and I knew I needed to try it for myself before making a decision.

My A43IT works normally and predictably with the latest firmware. I did have issues with black screens and having to force reset but that was when running it rooted using Chulri's root, not when running stock Archos firmware. Using Urukdroid I had other issues such as very high power consumption and broken smb share browsing. The stock firmware is pretty solid in the last two versions, as it was in old versions 2.1.8 and previous. At home I don't need root as my router runs a firewall and is also configured to block ads so I run stock firmware at home. I have Chulri's root as a dual boot option if I want, and it has been useful to set some persistent options for some apps in /data but basically the stock Archos firmware does work best (or at least has no serious bugs) so that's what I use. I have arctools and used it to install Google Market/Play. What I don't install is Flash or Google Maps (I don't need Flash and I find Osmand better behaved than Maps and just as useful) and I uninstall any app which I try but doesn't work well. I also disable Google's contact sync and talk services. As far as I can tell my battery life isn't any different than a year ago when I bought it. I installed CPU Master to have a look at frequency scaling and I noticed that with the stock firmware the device spends a lot of time at lowest frequency, 300 MHz, whereas with Urukdroid it almost never went below 600 MHz even with no extra services running. I use the boring "Optimal" power setting because after trying the others this one seemed more...optimal :oops: I suspect that power consumption problems have a huge amount to do with ad supported apps sending and collecting data unseen, and with Google services syncing and location finding. At home I can leave my A43IT with wireless on and it barely makes a difference to power consumption except when I am explicitly using the wifi. I didn't experience any overheating or the case bending. My only real criticism would be the resistive screen but I tried before I buyed (ouch, bad English) so I knew what I was getting and why it was a huge chunk cheaper than iPod Touch or even the older, not very good Galaxy Player. I probably now use my A43IT more than ever simply because it can now run Rockbox and I've been able to build my own Rockbox with patch to add Meier crossfeed, and the Chulri root let me save some custom eq presets for different headphones to the data directory, so I have a music player which is really capable and superior to my Sansa Clip+ and old iRiver hard disk players, and with a 32GB microSDHC it is bigger capacity too. I also found I can use DeadBeef player to play .pls and .m3u playlists from European radio broadcasters so I get high quality music streaming from BBC (for example Radio 3 at 320kbps aac) and others without any need for the BBC's flash dependent iPlayer app, or Winamp, or anything that serves ads or harvests my data.