Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 8:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Good News: Google announced that you can now search Android Market app store on the web. I was able to install apps on my HTC Droid Incredible without launching my phoe's Android Market. Can this mean the end for the need to install hacked Android Market on the Archos tablets.

Bad news: Yes back in 2010, the talk was about the forthcoming hack for 2.2 Android Market, since it was not official on any Archos tablet (only apps lib). So does the new Web Android Market Place mean we do can do away with the Hack to install apps on the Archos????

Nope, for Android phones, the web Android Market sends a text message to your phone, so you do not need to use your Android Market on the phone, you can install the app by opening the text message. But for Archos 43 owners, because it is not a phone, it cannot receive texts, so we STILL need to use the hacked Android Market!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't believe they use sms functionality to send apps to the device, it has to be same as the Chrome to Phone functionality, beamed over the web.

I believe devices like Archos will finally be allowed to install Google Marketplace officially with Honeycomb, at least that's my expectation and hope, let's see. Google has to encourage Android competition with iPad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have been able to install to my 43 from the new web andriod marketplace. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just installed a couple things from the Market, I must be missing something too. I was on my desktop computer, found 4 apps I thought I would like. Clicked install, looked at my Arhos 43 and saw that they installed fine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

if you were able to down load the apps from the market web site do yu have the market hack on your A43?

i do have the market hack on mine.
i was able, from my pc purchase/choose an app from market and it uploaded the app rite to my A43 it was almost scarry.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:lol: yeah it was kind of scary. Click install on the website and seconds later you see it being downloaded on the A43 and installing. some kind of strange voodoo going on here i think. ; )

yeah I have the marketplace hack. Guess he was talking about having it just installed in general. Makes it very nice to be able to power browse through apps and send them to your device.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I can second toddnc findings. I just tried the Market website out and found an app I wanted. I clicked download and I turned on my 43 and there it was installed and ready to go! This will make searching market much quicker. Two thumbs up!! =D>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the hack too

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i tried the android market hack on the 32 but it did not work so i dont think i will try it on the 43 when i get it sooon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To heck with the Marketplace Website...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST TELL ME HOW TO INSTALL THE MARKET HACK?

Over the past month since I bought this thing, I have tried every single method I can find and NONE OF THEM WORK. In EVERY SINGLE CASE, when I click on "Market", a blank window opens, closes, and NOTHING HAPPENS.

WHAT'S THE SECRET?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

JonGalt wrote:
To heck with the Marketplace Website...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST TELL ME HOW TO INSTALL THE MARKET HACK?

Over the past month since I bought this thing, I have tried every single method I can find and NONE OF THEM WORK. In EVERY SINGLE CASE, when I click on "Market", a blank window opens, closes, and NOTHING HAPPENS.

WHAT'S THE SECRET?

this one worked from me i did have to reset andriod be cause i tried a different market hack.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=47197

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

so if one wanted to browse the market place on your computer what would be the url?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

bluezzy wrote:
so if one wanted to browse the market place on your computer what would be the url?

https://market.android.com/apps/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, I FINALLY managed to install the market hack, using Arctools, from appslib.

Here's the trick:

The Market hack MUST BE THE FIRST thing you install when the device is brand-new.

I have read here and elsewhere that you have to "do a reset" before installing the market. For most people in most places, that phrase just means the same thing as "reboot".

Here's what "reset" means in the context of the Market hack:

Go to "Settings->Repair and Formatting->Reset Android".

This will DELETE every single app you have ever downloaded from AppsLib or elsewhere (which you will now have to re-purchase), but it does not delete your private data (even though ominous messages will appear telling you that it is reformatting your SD card!). It will then walk you through the same setup procedure as when you first started up the device for the first time.

As soon as the setup is finished, IMMEDIATELY open AppsLib and install ArcTools and REBOOT.

It never occurred to me that they meant I was supposed to throw away everything on the device and start over, just to access Google Marketplace, but that's what you have to do.

Mystery solved..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thats what I meant.

My point was:

One still needs to hacked Android Market (already installed on the Archos 43) to install an app from the web onto the Archos 43 by magic. And you need have the hacked Android Market running in the background for the install to work on the Archos 43. Whereas with a real Android phone, you do not need to have the Android Market running. You receive a text message from the Web Android Market and click on it to install directly, Just like in some Symbian Phones which can receive a text message to install an app directly, without launching the Symbian app store called OVI.

If you delete the hacked Android Market from your Archos, you are unable to install an app from the web Android Market onto the Archos 43 by magic.

Unless the Archos 43 can receive texts somehow, we are still stuck with the hacked Andrid Market.

toddnc wrote:
:lol: yeah it was kind of scary. Click install on the website and seconds later you see it being downloaded on the A43 and installing. some kind of strange voodoo going on here i think. ; )

yeah I have the marketplace hack. Guess he was talking about having it just installed in general. Makes it very nice to be able to power browse through apps and send them to your device.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

JonGalt wrote:
Well, I FINALLY managed to install the market hack, using Arctools, from appslib.

Here's the trick:

The Market hack MUST BE THE FIRST thing you install when the device is brand-new. EDIT: THIS MAY BE WRONG!

I have read here and elsewhere that you have to "do a reset" before installing the market. For most people in most places, that phrase just means the same thing as "reboot".

This will DELETE every single app you have ever downloaded from AppsLib or elsewhere (which you will now have to re-purchase), but it does not delete your private data (even though ominous messages will appear telling you that it is reformatting your SD card!). It will then walk you through the same setup procedure as when you first started up the device for the first time.

As soon as the setup is finished, IMMEDIATELY open AppsLib and install ArcTools and REBOOT.

Your information appears to be TOTALLY WRONG as I can confirm from having just done it sucessfully on my second Archos 43, purchased last week. My first Archos 43, has had the Market hack for about a year. Warning do not follow the above reformating unless you have tried several times and searched repeatedly as there are more than one market hacks floating about. If the first one doesn't work, try it again, and again and then go searching for another hopefully newer hack that works.

Your information appears to be incorrect and may have people reformating/deleting purchased applications that need not be deleted. :evil:

Here is what I did with my new Archos 43 purchased new March 11, 2012:

I muddled about for a couple of days slowly setting up multiple email accounts, purchasing a couple of vital apps from the AppsLib, installing some other apps from the AppsLib, from AppBrain, GetJar and those I had downloaded using my PC for my other Archos 43 purchased last year and watching videos. Finally yesterday, I tried to install a market hack that may have been sucessful on my first Archos 43. It didn't work and gave me a message saying that it only worked for Eclair.

Frustrated, I went to Google and found the following:
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... ube-fixed/

It worked allowing me to install the Arctools/Market hack that was almost immediately updated to the new Google "Play Store". :D

In summary, reformating MAY be unecessary even if you have installed other apps using the AppsLib or other sources but if this method doesn't work and you have searched carefully for newer market hacks and "play store" hacks, you may still need to do it but I didn't :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Rotcev wrote:
JonGalt wrote:

Here's the trick:

The Market hack MUST BE THE FIRST thing you install when the device is brand-new. EDIT: THIS MAY BE WRONG!

Your information appears to be TOTALLY WRONG as I can confirm from having just done it sucessfully on my second Archos 43, purchased last week. My first Archos 43, has had the Market hack for about a year. Warning do not follow the above reformating unless you have tried several times and searched repeatedly as there are more than one market hacks floating about. If the first one doesn't work, try it again, and again and then go searching for another hopefully newer hack that works.

Your information appears to be incorrect and may have people reformating/deleting purchased applications that need not be deleted. :evil:

Here is what I did with my new Archos 43 purchased new March 11, 2012:

I muddled about for a couple of days slowly setting up multiple email accounts, purchasing a couple of vital apps from the AppsLib, installing some other apps from the AppsLib, from AppBrain, GetJar and those I had downloaded using my PC for my other Archos 43 purchased last year and watching videos. Finally yesterday, I tried to install a market hack that may have been sucessful on my first Archos 43. It didn't work and gave me a message saying that it only worked for Eclair.

Frustrated, I went to Google and found the following:
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... ube-fixed/

It worked allowing me to install the Arctools/Market hack that was almost immediately updated to the new Google "Play Store". :D

In summary, reformating MAY be unecessary even if you have installed other apps using the AppsLib or other sources but if this method doesn't work and you have searched carefully for newer market hacks and "play store" hacks, you may still need to do it but I didn't :)

Don't you realise you are commenting a message from a year ago. (Feb, 2011)Of course it doesn't apply anymore now. (March, 2012)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

racky wrote:
Don't you realise you are commenting a message from a year ago. (Feb, 2011)Of course it doesn't apply anymore now. (March, 2012)

That assumption is not obvious at all. The post although a year old, was the most recent article that I cold find on the subject at this site, so one could assume that a new 43 purchaser could follow it easily in error. I also saw no link on this site to the newer market hack link that I posted. Hopefully it is of help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Rotcev wrote:
racky wrote:

That assumption is not obvious at all. The post although a year old, was the most recent article that I cold find on the subject at this site, so one could assume that a new 43 purchaser could follow it easily in error. I also saw no link on this site to the newer market hack link that I posted. Hopefully it is of help.

If people are smart enough and use the search function on this forum, they will find the most recent posts on how to install the market hack instead of following some advice from a year ago. Arctools/Market hack was not available at that time. And it is on the first page of the General Archos Gen8: Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101 Internet Tablets.

viewforum.php?f=63
"Best ways to install the Google Marketplace "

People are nice here to give out free advices. No one can guarantee whether those advices still will work or not after a long period of time because so many things can happen in between.
If you don't see the most recent posts, then that is your problem, not other people's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

racky wrote:
People are nice here to give out free advices. No one can guarantee whether those advices still will work or not after a long period of time because so many things can happen in between.
If you don't see the most recent posts, then that is your problem, not other people's fault.

I don't know what your problem is but please understand I just want to help others because I found that post and only that post when I did a search for "Market Hack".

Yes, if I had of read the entire site index, I might have seen the one you are referencing but like most people, I chose to search.

My post was just to make sure that nobody who did as I did and searched for "Market Hack" which I think is a totally reasonalble search criteria will use that out dated method. None of the more recent material came up anywhere near the top of the page on my original search, which I am sure many new users could reasonalbly search for.

Your comments about being my fault is not needed here, as I acted reasonably and was only hoping to help anyone else who did the same search and hopefully I will prevented them from having needlesss problems.

Hopefully this will put this to rest peacefully.

NOTE To Anyone looking at this post: You likely should be searching for "Best ways to install the Google Marketplace."