Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Something to cheer about my beloved Archos 43 (after it making me hopping mad with low memory warnings).

I bought and installed CoPilot Live 8 on the Archos and took it for a test drive.

One word: Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thanks to the 2.2 update released by Archos, 2 things are evident. First of all the Archos 43 easily linked up with my Holux Bluetooth external GPS. It was a one time pairing and linking...So when ever I launch CoPilot and press the Bluetooth button, as long as my
Holux Bluetooth external GPS is switched on, I got instant GPS for the Archos in a few seconds.

The other thing evident is that while using CoPilot, a small GPS satellite icon appears on the upper right hand corner of the Archos, showing bars, the more the bars the stronger the GPS signal.

All in all, one good reason to shout about the Archos 43.

I also tested Google Navigator. To use is first teether your Archos to your mobile phone, then switch on your Bluetooth external GPS.

The Archos is able to handle simultanously two Bluetooth devices: from your phone and from your Holux Bluetooth external GPS.
Now dats wat I call cool.

Battery wise, using CoPilot with the battery at 100%. after 1 hour it had gone down to just 85%, meaning lots of hours wit GPS fun.

CoPilot Live 8 for Android just £30 for UK and Ireland maps and £60 for all of Europe maps (including all of Russia, so World Cup 2018 here I come). The USA, Canada and Mexico maps cost £20.

You can use your Archos and CoPilot Live 8 anywhere in Europe or North America and not worry so much about massive £££roaming rates (which is what lets down use of Google Navigator outside the UK.)

Grab copy at: http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/android/

Last edited by Mr_Archos on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I bought it today and tried it with an external tomtom receiver (no screen). I paired using GPS mouse and that found my location but co-pilot wouldn't recognize the GPS. I called tech support and they said external GPS wasn't supported. I'm still on Android 2.1. I guess their own tech support doesn't know. Not sure if I just need to update to 2.2 or missed something. I was going to uninstall so I get the refund tonight. Now I'm off to try again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
It was a one time pairing and linking...So when ever I launch CoPilot and press the Bluetooth button, as long as my
Holux Bluetooth external GPS is switched on, I got instant GPS for the Archos in a few seconds.

I am paired but is there a bluetooth button in the actual copilot application? I can't find one. Or do you start Co-Pilot and then go turn on the bluethooth settings in the device?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rap wrote:
I I'm still on Android 2.1.

With 2.2., Archos has the Bluetooth GPS functionality built in. With 2.1, I needed to use an app from the Market called Bluetooth GPS Mouse. Pair, launch Bluetooth GPS Mouse, then launch CoPilot, and it will work, but without voice prompts. I could never get CoPilot voice prompts to work under 2.1. With 2.2., CoPilot works with one annoyance. If you're in landscape, switch to portrait, and then back to landscape, the screen it garbled. You have to force close CoPilot and then relaunch, however, the application will pick up where it left off. I'm using this on an A70.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks so much. I guess it's time to take the plunge and upgrade!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Rap,

Please post if you get it to work. I purchased the same Tomtom unit form Amazon and am waiting form my Archos 43 to be delivered. Right now I'm just staring at the hole in the gps unit. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Wiped my system and Did the update to froyo. Reinstalled copilot but now it won't take my Google order # and tells me my trial has expired. Has something to do with how long it takes Google to get the order info to the vendor. Supposedly can take up to 10 days but usually doesn't. Copilot can't find my order # so they can't reset it yet. Frustrating but I have to wait until tomorrow and call and see if they've got the order yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I didn't get copilot working yet but I can confirm that my 43 is recognizing the TomTom receiver . I kept going into Google navigation and it would say it was searching for GPS. Here is the key.

At home screen
Settings > Wireless & networks> Bluetooth (make sure checked)
Settings > Wireless & networks> scan for devices
select the tomtom and pair using 0000 as code.
Settings > Location & Security > Select a Bluetooth GPS > select the TomTom Wireless GPS MkII

It was the last setting I was missing. I didn't realize I needed to enable it in Location & Security too. You no longer need to download separate software to connect. As soon as I did that and when into Google Navigation and selected a location, it started giving me verbal driving directions and no more message about looking for GPS.

YEAH. Now if I can get Copilot working again and it recognizes the GPS I should be all set. Just in time for holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rap wrote:
Reinstalled copilot but now it won't take my Google order # and tells me my trial has expired.

After upgrading to 2.2, same thing happened to me and resetting my Google order # didn't help. CoPilot told me that the 2.2 ROM doesn't provide a unique Device ID to their activation server and actually told me to not purchase the program.

However, in the A70 forum someone posted this link: http://www.alk.eu.com/copilotlive/androidinstall. From this I was able to install CoPilot using the 25 digit activation key that was emailed to me the first time I installed the program when I was using 2.1. Now it works again.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

rap wrote:
Quote:
It was a one time pairing and linking...So when ever I launch CoPilot and press the Bluetooth button, as long as my

I am paired but is there a bluetooth button in the actual copilot application? I can't find one. Or do you start Co-Pilot and then go turn on the bluethooth settings in the device?

Rap, here is a 2 minute speed tutorial on how to get a CoPilot Live 8 GPS app working on the Archos 43.. will add pics later today or tomorrow after work.

1. Update your Archos 43 to Android 2.2, either OTA or via the website. Now buy a legit copy of CoPilot Live 8 (link to the store is above this thread). Do not obtain a pirate torrent version, otherwise it will mess up your Achos 43 permanently and make it hard to install a legit version afterwards (got a friend who did that and I cannot help him). £30 for a legit copy is peanuts, considering you coughed up £190 to buy the Archos 43 itself.

2. Pair your external Bluetooth device with your Archos. To do this go to settings. Press "Wireless & Networks" Press "Bluetooth" which turns on Bluetooth. Now press "Bluetooth settings" Switch on your Bluetooth device and wait for it to pick up satellites (consult the manual on how to do this). For the Holux M100 GPs device (recommended, £45) when it picks up GPS satellites it will begin to flash blue. Now "Click on "Scan for devices" and pair your Archos with your Bluetooth device. For most devices, the password is 0000

3. Once pairing is confirmed, exit Bluetooth settings, exit Wireless & Networks settings. Now click on "Location and Security settings" if you have updated to 2.2, you will see an option called "Select a Bluetooth GPS" Click on it. Now click on the name of your Bluetooth device from the list. If you do not see yours listed, you have not paired your GPS device wit the Archos 43 properly, so go back to step 2. If you do see your paired Bluetooth device listed click on it. It will now exit.

4. Press the home button below and go to where you have the Copilot Live 8 Button. Once the GPs app launches, your will see a cute satellite icon above right showing bars, indicating your Archos 43 is receiving GPS signals. This means you are now good to go and ready to Rock n Roll! :p

If anyone has problems still, let me know.

Well well well....seems Archos 43 rocks after all!

Now back to the real world of low memory warnings :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Mr_Archos. Thanks for the step by step. I'm sure that will help a lot of people. I figured that out after much trial error especially step 3. Still having trouble getting co-pilot license activated. I'll probably have to call tech support again on Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

rap wrote:
Mr_Archos. Thanks for the step by step. I'm sure that will help a lot of people. I figured that out after much trial error especially step 3. Still having trouble getting co-pilot license activated. I'll probably have to call tech support again on Monday.

Your welcome rap, good luck wit the activation problems.

A further tip I have discovered today while navigating with CoPilot Live 8 near on the M25 motorway.

CoPilot Live is RAM memory hungry. So although we love to multitask wit the Archos 43, I suggest using Android Task Killer utility to kill the RAM of apps we do not need while using CoPilot Live 8. Having one or two apps running is ok, as long as available RAM does not fall below 60MB. If RAM is about 30MB or less, CoPilot Live 8 may crash and you have to restart it. I had 3 hours of navigating wit no problems and my RAM is always above 65MB.

Happy Navigating!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I finally got the mess sorted out with my expired license today. :D I got it installed and it successfully got me to the Dentist office (not that I needed it but I had to try it).

Definitely get the bluetooth GPS connected first before starting copilot. You have to watch out with the orientation. Whatever orientation it starts in, it wants to stay that way. If you rotate the device, it scrambles the image. I made the mistake of picking landscape from the menu when I was using it portrait. That forces it to landscape even when held portrait. Then I couldn't get back to the menu to reset it. I finally figured out if I started it holding it landscape it would work. Sometimes I had to kill it with System monitor or reboot if got messed up. Once I figured it all out, it worked great. For $25 (receiver + software) it was a good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Rap. I'm now more excited for my 43. Just need to get the now shipping email!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I bought the TomTom Bluetooth unit, and although I've followed the steps here, and get the satellite dish icon on the header, no GPS data comes over. This is using Google Navigate, Google maps, and GPS Status. The 43 will use WiFi to find location if it is on, which will override missing GPS data if it has to. With WiFi on my location was found, two houses down where WiFi location always puts me. Turn Wifi OFF, and the GPS signal fails to find my location at all. As such, I don't think the TomTom device is actually sending data those apps know what to do with.

4D
We should come up with an affirmative test, then start listing bluetooth GPS units that DO work for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

4DThinker, Have you upgraded to 2.2 (froyo)? After that these are the steps I follow:

1a. Reboot your Archos so you make sure nothing else is running in memory. (I had to do this the first time but not really after that).
1b. Turn on the GPS unit (should be a solid green light)
2. Turn on Bluetooth (Settings> Wireless & Networks> Bluetooth checkbox)
3. Make sure device is Paired: (Settings> Wireless & Networks> Bluetooth Settings). At this point you might have to scan for devices. Find the TomTom (mine says TomTom Wireless GPS Mk) and select it. It should then show it below the subheading bluetooth devices and say it is paired but not connected.
4. Make sure the Archos is set to use the GPS for Navigation. (Settings > Location & Security > Select a Bluetooth GPS > Select a Bluetooth GPS > choose the TomTom). I usually reselect it even if it's already selected just to be sure).
5. Start your navigation program

Note that in step 3 & 4 you probably won't see the TomTom if it's not turned on and in range. I usually do this either outside or with the TomTom sitting in a window sill next to me.

If I do all that and then start copilot or I did it once with Google Navigation and it works. If I try to do with the navigation program running first, I don't have good luck. I know it took me a few times to get the order correct so everything worked. I'll probably eventually buy Tasker and see if I can set up an automated thing to do all the steps. Hope the step by step helps someone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mr_Archos, do you need a micro sd card in the archos before installing Co Pilot Live?

I have read on a review that a micro sd card of 2gb or larger is required. I assume Co Pilot Live doesn't store to the devices internal storage. Can you confirm this?

I have been testing my Archos 43 with google navigation and a BlueNext BN-902 MM GPS reciever and it works fine, but obviously that app needs a internet connection so I'm looking into getting Co Pilot live.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CAD MAN wrote:
Mr_Archos, do you need a micro sd card in the archos before installing Co Pilot Live?

I have read on a review that a micro sd card of 2gb or larger is required. I assume Co Pilot Live doesn't store to the devices internal storage. Can you confirm this?

I have been testing my Archos 43 with google navigation and a BlueNext BN-902 MM GPS reciever and it works fine, but obviously that app needs a internet connection so I'm looking into getting Co Pilot live.

CAD MAN, you asked if you need an SD card. Well yes and no.

No: if you have enough space in the Internal Storage Space and using the 16GB version. Because the Archos 43 is a unique Android non-phone with a massive 16 GB in a space called Internal Storage, many Android apps
(theoretically written for Phone Androids that normally do not have a large space called Internal Storage) when installed on the Archos 43, will mistake the 16 GB Internal Storage for the SD card space. For instance Apps2SD will take the Archos 43 Internal Storage Space as the SD card space. This means that when installing CoPilot Live on 16GB Archos 43, the Internal Storage will be ok.

Yes: if you have do not have enough space in the Internal Storage Space or you are using the 8GB version. CoPilot Live maps for Europe needs minimum 2GB space, and with map updates possible and ned to install other continental maps later on, you may need about 3 or 4 GB space later. All in all go for the 16GB Archos 43 version, and use your MicroSD card only for music and video files as I do (the microSD card in a SD card adapter, is the easiest way to swap media files between Archos 43 and laptop with itunes)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for that. I have got myself a 2gb Micro SD card for a bargain price on ebay so will now use that for my music once Co Pilot has installed.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am unable to find co-pilot at in the app store
With the link above I do not see any place where I can purchase the product
I don't know maybe I've missed something if some one could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I must say google nailed it with the voice recognition.