Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
It, truly sadly, looks like Apple will be getting my business this festive season.

Why should this be?
The very same features that you are knocking Archos for, you will not have on an Apple device :roll:

I think Archos is well aware that persons who buy their products are quite innovative and will make full use of the features on the Gen8s.

refer to this thread

Quote:
Large capacity drives
- Gen 8 has USB host built in, just add a capable drive to it
- 43, 70 SSD, and 101 has MicroSD slot

DVR functionality
-many have DVR capabilty at home, either on their PCs, Tivos, or cable boxes...

An archos staff also seemed to suggest that not many docks were sold. Just maybe the reasoning for building most of the functionality on the Gen8s?

refer to this thread

In your case where you record while traveling (which seems to be in the minority), you may have to continue using the 605 or get a separate device for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OH MY GOSH have u guys heard the latest news??!?!?!!!?!

i haven't, and was wondering if there was any..? :D seems a bit quiet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

zandoli wrote:
Quote:
It, truly sadly, looks like Apple will be getting my business this festive season.

Why should this be?
The very same features that you are knocking Archos for, you will not have on an Apple device :roll:

I need to buy a new portable device for carrying my music and video library (the battery life on my 605 is virtually dead). I wanted a device with high-capacity storage and recording capability. I used to be able to get that from Archos (in the shape of the 5), now I cannot. I could just buy the new 43, but it only has 16GB capacity - I can get an iPod Touch in 64GB. The 43 has an 854x480 resistive touch screen, whereas the iPod Touch is 960x640 capacitive.

I need to buy something, and I am finding it impossible to justify buying the Archos rather than the iPod. The screen size isn't such an issue, but the capacity is number one, for me. Bring out a 250GB HDD version of the 43 and I wouldn't even consider the iPod. But why release a player that directly competes with the iPod touch and handicap it so much with only 16GB of storage?

Quote:
Large capacity drives
- Gen 8 has USB host built in, just add a capable drive to it
- 43, 70 SSD, and 101 has MicroSD slot

Sorry, not for me. I tried using my phone as a music player, as it has a hot-swappable micro SSD slot, as well as 8GB internal memory.
It simply does not suit me. I have a music library that exceeds 40GB and I like to be able to carry virtually all of it wherever I go. This would mean splitting it between numerous memory cards, and the sync'ing of the device becomes a nightmare. That's before I even think about putting any video content on there.
Quote:

DVR functionality
-many have DVR capabilty at home, either on their PCs, Tivos, or cable boxes...

I have DVR capability at home - in the shape of SKY+HD. However the recordings are stored on the device and cannot be extracted via USB, or copied to any other device. They need to be 'recorded' as they are played-out - and for 3 years I had been doing this, until my 605 gave out. I now have to revert to the old means of copying content from my SKY+HD box, which is recording it to DVD (with a DVD recorder), ripping the DVD and converting it to .avi (a painfully long process).

Believe me, I do not really want to buy the iPod, I've been resistant to the whole Apple movement and have bought players from Creative and Archos in the past, as I believed they were better (and, in my opinion, they were), but as Apple get more and more market share other companies should strive to be different and not just follow the trend - it's going to be impossible to wrestle business from Applw with a product that does exactly the same, but is slightly cheaper, but has none of the accessories (I am referring to the myriad of docks and how virtually every other technology manufacturer now supports plugging an iPod into their stuff).

In recent days I have been studying the Archos 70 and am attracted to the 250GB HDD and the capacitive touch screen. But I am put off by the form-factor and maybe a 7" tablet is just too big to carry around as a music player? I'll have to wait and see once I can physically pick one up and have a look. Only then will I decide to abandon Archos and (finally) join the Apple bandwagon.

-CJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Shouldn't the iPod Touch be more comparable to the Archos 32 instead of the Archos 43?

The Touch and the Archos 32 both have the same size screens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

cghori wrote:
Shouldn't the iPod Touch be more comparable to the Archos 32 instead of the Archos 43?

The Touch and the Archos 32 both have the same size screens.

I thought the touch's screen is 3.5 inches.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The 43 is on Amazon (16Gb) for preorder now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

terre08 wrote:

I thought this was going to sell for $200, not $245. Bummer. Made my decision to stick with the A5A easier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

this is really great. . ..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ejanssens wrote:
terre08 wrote:

I thought this was going to sell for $200, not $245. Bummer. Made my decision to stick with the A5A easier.

It's $249 for the 16GB version; $199 for the 8GB version, and of course both have microSD slots for expansion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

someone should do a new undated resent review of just the archos 43. Would be good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I will do a good review when I get mine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Having recently just bought an A5IT, I'll be waiting a year or 2 before getting one of these. I kind of like to drag my feet and not try to buy stuff ASAP when it comes out. By waiting a bit, the bugs get worked out and the price generally comes down.

However, I just can't get over the sheer volume of Apple accessories there are in the big stores around here. Soo much useless junk you can add on or attach to these things. The "skins" isle alone took up more space then all the other MP3's/Media Players/Tablets combined. They sure do have the marketing down pat.....I guess people are more concerned with how the look and status symbols then how the device actually performs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Newest Ipod Touch vs Archos 43. I have both.

Largest screen: 43.
Expansion slot: 43.
HDMI output, with full UI displayed on the TV, and 43 as the touchpad control: 43
Best media apps and codec support: 43.
Touch screen OR stylus use: 43.
Best price for 8gb: 43 ($199 vs $229). If they every sell an 8gb 43.
Best price for 16gb: 43 (no Touch with 16gb)
Best price for 32gb: 43 ($249 + 16gb MicroSD at $30ish) vs Touch at $299.
Best Bluetooth: 43. Keyboard, mouse, stereo music, file transfer.
Best WiFi: 43. Built-in shared file access with your home network.
Best graphics: Looks like a tie to me.
Best Apps: Another tie with Google Android market patch in place.
Best email app: Tie.
Best kickstand: 43.
Best rear Photo camera: 43 @ 1,600 x 1,200. Touch is 960 x 720

Just a few of the reasons I prefer my 43 over my Touch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ha, best kickstand will automatically be the A43IT 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nice breakdown comparison. I didn't think the camera was that high of resolution. In real life which takes better pictures and does the Ipod have variable focus? The Archos 43 camera I think only has fixed focus and I haven't heard very good things about it.

Also is that a 3rd or 4th Gen Ipod touch?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rap wrote:
Nice breakdown comparison. I didn't think the camera was that high of resolution. In real life which takes better pictures and does the Ipod have variable focus? The Archos 43 camera I think only has fixed focus and I haven't heard very good things about it. Also is that a 3rd or 4th Gen Ipod touch?
4th gen Touch. Only one with a camera.

Resolutions were just taken from their respective tech spec pages. Both cameras are fixed focus. There isn't enough room in either device for focus technology. The Touch also has a front facing camera, although I don't have a use for it. The 43's camera isn't any good with bar-code reading apps unless the barcode is large enough to back away from and get into focus. And I just tested a barcode app with my Touch for the same results.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's cool tablet.
Thanks for the video.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Theguru wrote:
At the end of the day archos, what ever way you look at it, are looking to cut costs and undertake/overtake the portable media market to do this "they think" they must take a new direction.

I have a archos 5IT and upgraded every year when a new model comes out for the past 5/6 yearsI simply cant believe they havent improved upon what they have got. Instead they have taken away features and loaded the latest android, faster processer, better graphics, BUT taken away GPS, less storage space, no Bluetooth?, smaller screen, display isnt as good?

For me IÔÇÖm keeping my a5IT and not looking to upgrade to gen8 4.3 as to me it seems a downgrade, i like GPS, Bluetooth, and a bigger SCREEN! and IÔÇÖm sure a lot of people are doing the same.

You may attract new customers but the old ones like me may steer clear.

:evil:

I'm having a hard time buying that the 43 is going to be the replacement for the A5IT.....they can't possibly think dropping several usefull features for a poor camera and slightly newer FW/SW update is going to be worth it to the consumer to be called an "upgrade".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hitzy wrote:
Theguru wrote:
At the end of the day archos, what ever way you look at it, are looking to cut costs and undertake/overtake the portable media market to do this "they think" they must take a new direction.

I have a archos 5IT and upgraded every year when a new model comes out for the past 5/6 yearsI simply cant believe they havent improved upon what they have got. Instead they have taken away features and loaded the latest android, faster processer, better graphics, BUT taken away GPS, less storage space, no Bluetooth?, smaller screen, display isnt as good?

For me IÔÇÖm keeping my a5IT and not looking to upgrade to gen8 4.3 as to me it seems a downgrade, i like GPS, Bluetooth, and a bigger SCREEN! and IÔÇÖm sure a lot of people are doing the same.

You may attract new customers but the old ones like me may steer clear.

:evil:

no bluetooth? I'm sure mine has bluetooth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a 16 A5IT, I love the device.I never buy a product based on what it might be able to do. I bought my A5IT for the android os, the screen size, the storage, gps and multimedia abilities of the device. I do understand where many people are coming from though. The A5IT is only a year or so old, and the specs are more than powerful enough to run Froyo on it. This has been proven by the devs at the open aos project. In a relatively short period of time they've managed to get Android 2.2 (somewhat) running on an A5IT. I can't imagine that the Archos devs would have that hard a time doing the same, since they are more familiar with the hardware and software of the A5.

I just think that many people are upset because there has been a precedent set. Many manufacturers of Android smartphones support their devices 2 or 3 years after they have come to market. The Sprint HTC Hero even runs Android 2.1 now! But the Archos 5 has been around just over a year and it makes people feel cheated. I doubt that there would be many complaints if it were 2 years from now and Archos told us that they would no longer be supporting an Android upgrade path for the A5IT because there was a new one with a better processor and better features, but there is no direct replacement, and they removed some of the features instead of improving them. So I'll wait and see, I can't say that I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't at least get an official Froyo upgrade, but I won't be complaining either, the A5IT does what I need it to do for now. My personal opinion is that they are focusing on getting gen 8 running smoothly before they start working on a legacy device again.
Just my 2 cents.