Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

4DThinker wrote:
Newest Ipod Touch vs Archos 43. I have both.

Largest screen: 43.
Expansion slot: 43.
HDMI output, with full UI displayed on the TV, and 43 as the touchpad control: 43
Best media apps and codec support: 43.
Touch screen OR stylus use: 43.
Best price for 8gb: 43 ($199 vs $229). If they every sell an 8gb 43.
Best price for 16gb: 43 (no Touch with 16gb)
Best price for 32gb: 43 ($249 + 16gb MicroSD at $30ish) vs Touch at $299.
Best Bluetooth: 43. Keyboard, mouse, stereo music, file transfer.
Best WiFi: 43. Built-in shared file access with your home network.
Best graphics: Looks like a tie to me.
Best Apps: Another tie with Google Android market patch in place.
Best email app: Tie.
Best kickstand: 43.
Best rear Photo camera: 43 @ 1,600 x 1,200. Touch is 960 x 720

Just a few of the reasons I prefer my 43 over my Touch.

how can anyone take this seriously???????/

how can you say the apps is a tie? I'm an avid Android user with 3 devices running it, but we all know that Apple, as it stands, is hands down the best for app development. It's definitely not a tie, they may be close but apple is still on top on that perspective.
Yes I agree there are some nice apps for the android from homebrew developers, things that the App store would never allow. However in all honesty, how often do you actually use apps made by small time developers.

Graphics...again...apple wins with this one. Play on one and you'll find 99% of apps run extremely smoothly on it. because it doesn't have a dedicated multitasking feature, the apples run apps exactly how they should. With android, you'll find the same games, lag quite a bit more.

I would think that android win on the e-mail clients...however i've yet to try a touch's e-mail client so i could be wrong

I don't know how you can say the 43 wins purely on the basis that you can use a stylus. Because the ipod doesn't need a stylus to be used and to be honest, neither does android now. Windows Mobile was the one that needed the stylus. With a resistive screen, you'll find that if it's on in your pocket, your phone will do a lot more things you don't want it to.
And let's be honest, the ipods/iphones are the bench mark when it comes to touch screen. So again, i would say the iphone wins on this one.

I'm sure the camera on the iphone is a lot better than the 43 as well, have you even tried taking a photo with your 43 yet?

I'm not a fanboy of ipods, I actually hate them and the people that buy apple products, however something else that annoys me are people that blindly support anything else that isn't apple purely because of that reason. I can see why Ipods are liked by people, i'm not blind to that fact. They're just not my cup of tea. I would never claim that something that's in direct competition with them are always better though. That's just misleading.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Barff wrote:
how can anyone take this seriously???????/

I'm not a fanboy of ipods, I actually hate them and the people that buy apple products, however something else that annoys me are people that blindly support anything else that isn't apple purely because of that reason. I can see why Ipods are liked by people, i'm not blind to that fact. They're just not my cup of tea. I would never claim that something that's in direct competition with them are always better though. That's just misleading.
Thanks for another pointless rant, Barff. Although I doubt you'll understand, "blind support" isn't what is going on here. I take the time to test each device I comment about. You should do the same.

"I have both". Did you read that? I have reviewed both. I suggest you go read those reviews, but doubt it will clear up your perspective.
Ipod Touch review.
Archos 43 review.
Cowon J3 review.
Archos 5 Internet Tablet review.

Research suggests that a person's name will "color" their personality. It could be that you subconsciously have to "barf" on everything you see. If this is a conscious quality of yours then it is a bad choice. You hate far too much. I suggest you seek professional help.

Sincerely,
4D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

''original comment deleted''

Didn't want to offend the kids on the board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@4DThinker

Your name-calling is juvenile. It destroys your credibility and undercuts everything you say. Not only that, you ignore Barff's point--apps are key to iOS devices--in resorting to personal attacks. I expect more from one who profess to be a teacher. Would you have tolerated this type of retort from a student?

Everyone has his/her own bias of what's "good." I read your "review" of the iPod Touch 4G, and noticed yours. While you go in some detail about its music/video/photo aspects, only one sentence is devoted to apps in your summation. No mention of web use. You judged it mainly as a PMP, not as an Internet device.

Web/apps use is by far the most important use for these handheld devices, easily outstripping video & audio use. PMP functions are now subsumed into smartphones. iPod sales have plateau'ed, and is predicted to gradually decline. Apple has de-emphasized the standalone PMP by emasculating the Nano in the current gen.

This isn't to say that the Touch is "better" or the 43 is "mediocre." It is to say that we should recognize and tolerate that people have different yardsticks of measure, and shouldn't resort to childish attacks to make our own case.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

d00b wrote:
@4DThinker

Your name-calling is juvenile. It destroys your credibility and undercuts everything you say. Not only that, you ignore Barff's point--apps are key to iOS devices--in resorting to personal attacks. I expect more from one who profess to be a teacher. Would you have tolerated this type of retort from a student?

Everyone has his/her own bias of what's "good." I read your "review" of the iPod Touch 4G, and noticed yours. While you go in some detail about its music/video/photo aspects, only one sentence is devoted to apps in your summation. No mention of web use. You judged it mainly as a PMP, not as an Internet device.

Web/apps use is by far the most important use for these handheld devices, easily outstripping video & audio use. PMP functions are now subsumed into smartphones. iPod sales have plateau'ed, and is predicted to gradually decline. Apple has de-emphasized the standalone PMP by emasculating the Nano in the current gen.

This isn't to say that the Touch is "better" or the 43 is "mediocre." It is to say that we should recognize and tolerate that people have different yardsticks of measure, and shouldn't resort to childish attacks to make our own case.

amen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Childish attacks:

"how can anyone take this seriously???????/".
"Your name-calling is juvenile. It destroys your credibility and undercuts everything you say".

Name calling:

"Barff". Sorry, but according to him it is his name.

4D. Have a nice day, boys. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@4DThinker

Thanks for confirming your meager character and communication skills. I'm sad for your students' plight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@Doob: Please read the forum rules.
Do you have anything to contribute about the archos 43 or the A5it?

The 5 is big enough to be a better video experience, and with the Cinema plug-in (which isn't available for the 43 yet) can stream DVD VOB files off my home server when with range of my router. The 43 will gain point when it can do the same, and can also display them on any HDTV with a $10 cable. The 5it requires a dock add-on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@4DThinker

Yes, abiding by the rules is good.

"No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member."

Making snide remarks of Barff's name, and using it for character defamation, I think fall well into that category. You should apologize and retract.

As for my contributions to this and other forums' discussions, search on my login name.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It seems to me like the good old A5IT is a great device - unbelievably cheap, perfect size, nice touchscreen, android and therefore open to development and extensions, ...
But I have no A5IT mainly for these reasons: no usb-host-capability, bad problems with vpn (especially cisco, but also other things).
I hope, the vpn-issue will be fixed in future releases of android - maybe froyo will already provide a solution, I don't know. concerning the usb-host-thing, the 43 will definitely bring the solution (am I right?). and it seems to me like the 43's size is even "more perfect" than the A5IT's: higher resolution at some square-mm less screen and even slightly thinner (around 1mm). afaik, the 43 will be 50g lighter, that's nearly 30%.

the lack of gps doesn't hurt really badly. and the difference in price doesn't either. but it seems to me like there have been better reviews and experiences with the A5IT so far than with the 43. another detail is, that there is an extremely interesting possibility of development on the A5IT. But it's not unlikely for the 43 to become interesting for developers, as well. the first step has been done, simply by using android as operating system.

At the moment, I couldn't just buy the archos 43, because the opinions on the internet are just too wide-spread. But I will just follow the device's development in the next months and decide later, whether to buy the 43. Maybe there will be released an even better device for my needs. Or there will be a great android-update for the A5IT, that solves at least the vpn-issue (that's really important for me).
But, again, at the moment, I can't make a decision. The whole situation doesn't cast an explicitely positive light neither on the 43 nor on the A5IT (from my point of view).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

id love to see a vid of the 43 vs the 70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think the Archos 5IT is better built. I've had my 5IT for about a year now only had to reset it twice.
I've had my 43IT about a month and had to reset it 7 times and it freezes constantly. First full reset
of my 43IT was minutes after getting it in the mail. Bluetooth and Wifi wouldn't enable. Oddly enough
though the only 2 resets I've done on my 5IT was because the Wifi and bluetooth wouldn't enable.

On the upside the 43IT uses the same screen protectors as my phone so I didn't need to cut them! 8)

Hitzy wrote:
However, I just can't get over the sheer volume of Apple accessories there are in the big stores around here. Soo much useless junk you can add on or attach to these things. The "skins" isle alone took up more space then all the other MP3's/Media Players/Tablets combined. They sure do have the marketing down pat.....I guess people are more concerned with how the look and status symbols then how the device actually performs.

I hear you! On amazon or ebay type in ipod and you'll get a million results. I like to keep it simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i bought an A5IT, I'll be waiting a year or 2 before getting one of these. However, I just can't get over the sheer volume of Apple accessories there are in the big stores around here. So much useless junk you can add on or attach to these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just purchased the Archos 43 (been a 5IT user for a couple of years) and must say it's an improvement, though it depends what you use for. With android froyo 2.2 and flash player 10.1 (www.freewarelovers.com/android) the 43 opens this model to a world closed to the 5IT, being an important development to how many people use these devices. Yes, not all the 'bells-and-whistles' are present on the 43 being sacrificed (justifiably) to produce a smaller form factor, but it's a more responsive model both in speed and with the resistive screen being a pleasurable experience! If portability is important for you, the 43 is a great companion, better than the bulky 5IT (hard drive) older brother, and memory expandable to boot.