Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Power button broke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dropped the Archos 32 and the power button is unresponsive.

I have found that a charge the USB port wakes up the Archos. Not bad. But now the Archos 32 is in a constant state of being on.

So here are some solutions I'm looking for, any will do:

1) Any tips on how to repair the power button?
2) Are there any ways to turn the Archos off as a software option?
3) Is there a sleep mode on the Archos that will shut itself off after a given amount of inactivity?

Post subject: Re: Power button broke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As a mainboard replacement costs almost $100 U.S., short of warranty service (if you qualify) your best option is probably to look for someone selling a bricked Archos 32 like this one if you're bold with the DIY approach to repair. And yes in 'Settings' > 'About' option at the bottom, there is a 'Power management' option that lets you turn on 'Deep sleep' that does a decent job of conserving the battery and may be your best bet unless you want to be among the first to document Archos 32 internals.

If I were in this situation I'd probably hold out and use power management to get buy until I could find a web page documenting how to properly open an Archos 32 -- it's a fair bet that the switch is a surface mount affair that can't be repaired and you need a whole (and working) board replacement to get it working -- or it may just be dirty and stuck and a shot of contact cleaner might get things going again. Best of luck, let us know how you make out if you attempt surgery on your 32, documenting would be fun and educational to follow as well.

:idea:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeh right now not a complete loss. My Archos 32 is up all the time (which is what I would like to change). I charge when not in use, and have the Archos set for short display times. I power the Archos display back up by a portable battery to the USB port, or a powered USB connection.

So if anything I have a device that can not be accessed easily by anyone else. That is the plus side.

But is there a way to shut the device down without the button?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, the Archos already had the back cover loose so I slid that off.

Took some jeweler flathead screwdrivers and carefully lifted the top of the screen from the front of the Archos. The display was lightly adheved in place.

After that slid the screen and motherboard towards the top and out of the bottom of the Archos. Had to be careful, there is a ribbon cable (a small one) that connects the motherboard to the buttons on the front facing of the Archos.

Inspected the power button. The button looked like it was surface mounted to the motherboard with some very light brackets that held it in place. The power button was lifting off the board slightly. I got some super glue and made sure to apply a SLIGHT drop to the button, trying to get the glue in from the side and avoiding getting any glue in the action of the button.

Held the button tightly to the motherboard for a good minute to let the glue set.

Then set the Archos aside for several hours to let the glue set more completely.

Hours later, carefully slid the motherboard into the bottom of the case, set the screen and motherboard in their holdings along the side with the case (of course made sure the ribbon cable and the side button were not in the way as I was doing this.)

Put the back on, gave power to the USB port, the Archos came up, screen is still responsive, and most important, the power button works again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wow, Amazing and so glad it worked for ya! Wish ya took pictures of the procedure though as I don't quite understand how the 32 comes apart and one day when I have some money to throw around, I'd like to epoxy pot and waterproof mine.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey thanks for the compliment. Do they have it where I you can upload pictures here?

Anyway what would be involved with Epoxy pot and waterproofing?