Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

While investigating another issue, I discovered that my DSL Router activity log is filled with hits to Archos.com and Rock-Chips.com...every few minutes, there's about 12 hits w/in 20-30 secs. These are all coming from the IP address of My rooted Archos 101IT w/ 8.4.83 firmware (booted either root or normal) and totally overshadow the much more occasional Google related hits. I don't see any Archos apps running after killing the ArcTools process. I hunted the web this afternoon without any answers. So, what is being communicated and why? Any hints on how to stop it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I don't know why it connects to the CPU/SoC manufacturer (Rockchip) but it connects to archos.com for several reasons:

to check for firmware update availability (service name Online Firmware Update).
to check/confirm device registration (servce name Online Registration)
to check appslib update availability (AppsLib)

You can often see any or all of those in the running services.

There may be other reasons but those come to mind.

On a rooted tablet you can prevent those services from starting, or only allow them to be started manually. There is a free open source app Autostarts which lets you specify which apps and services are allowed to start and for what reasons. Triggers include booting, network connection or change in connectivity, widgets being updated or apps being added removed and so on. It is in the F-Droid repo and it works really well, as described. I've used it to disable the redundant Archos update services and numerous Google Android and various third party app services which run for the benefit of others but offer no benefit to me.

If your router is quite capable you could install tcpdump, dump the archos' traffic, transfer the dump file to PC and use Wireshark or similar tool to discover what data, if any, is sent to rock-chip.com, or anywhere else. For example you could do this on any consumer router that runs openwrt, dd-wrt, routertech or similar firmware.