Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there, I need help. I have an archos 101 internet tablet and have upgraded to the 2.4.83 firmware. However, on the same line in settings it still says Android 2.2.1. Does this mean that my tablet is still using froyo, and can I (and if so,how) upgrade to gingerbread or jellybean.

I know this is stupid, but I'd really like to be able to use spotify on my tablet and I've been told that this is what I need to do in order to make it work.

Thanks

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You can't upgrade to Jellybean. The device doesn't have enough RAM or processing power to run newer versions of Android. If you want to try Gingerbread you can install a cyanogenmod based ROM, see http://dev.openaos.org/ and http://dev.openaos.org/wiki/SettingUpMultiRootGen8

The cyanogenmod gingerbread ROM is pretty decent but you lose the Archos customised video player and hardware video acceleration and the Archos File Manager and its built-in browsing of upnp and windows shares (AKA smb/samba/cifs). But you can dual boot regular Archos firmware and cyanogenmod so maybe this would let you do the stuff you want.

Bear in mind that these gen8 devices came out in 2010. They simply aren't able to run the newest versions of Android, mostly because 256MB RAM is too little but also a single core 1GHz CPU is very low end now. These days a typical bargain basement generic Android tablet (the £50 - £80 devices) has a dual core CPU, multi core graphics chip and 1GB of RAM or more and people complain that these are slow. The gen8 devices are archaic in comparison but still work pretty well with Froyo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 am 

amydoak wrote:
I know this is stupid, but I'd really like to be able to use spotify on my tablet and I've been told that this is what I need to do in order to make it work.

I think I had spotify radio (only) working on my gen 8, then I took it off due to tying up too much appspace. Nobody seems to agree with me, but the key to getting piggish apps to work seems to be to ruthlessly clear out app space, and leave it clear. About 60 mb can be needed, which means you only have room for a small handful apps.