Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Everyone.

I have been lurking on here for two years but just registered today.

I have an Archos 70. It was driving me nuts - running out of app space and running slow. I solved both quite easily. Here is what I did:

I rooted the device using these instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930197

Make sure you set permanent root.

You will now need an external SDHC card. Insert it into the device. Now you will need to partition it. Make a second partition of one gig or so. You can use Windows Disk Management or this program:
http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Parti ... 62200.html

Of course you have to mount your device. The second partition should be Fat32 if the card is bigger than 2 gig. Otherwise make it ext3.

Now go to the Play Store and Install SD Speed Increase
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e.it&hl=en

and set to 2048.

Now install Link2sd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... msyU0QiXQ..

Once you run the links2sd the first time it will ask you to mount the second partition. Do that. Then link all your user apps. I now have 180 mb free and almost 100 apps installed.

The last step is to install Auto Memory Manager.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... WVtbWFuIl0.

This changes the memory management in Android - not like a task killer. Set to aggressive and try it out.

I set mine as follows and it just flies:

I usually have 84+ meg of ram free.

So give it a try. I am so happy with mine I am not upgrading to the Nexus 7 anymore. I like some of the features better on this tablet. (HDMI. external card, stereo speakers.

Hope it helps! I did this on mine and my sons. Works great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

great advice, thanks a lot for sharing. I should try it one day when have time.
Can anybody confirm it works for them, also on 101 ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Carter is a gentleman and a scholar! This worked perfectly for my 43it and breathed new life into it. No more running out of app space! And, as usual, using root only utility apps is sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What if the device (my Archos 70 250gb doesn't have an Sd slot) doesn't have a way to insert a chip into it?!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Tanskya wrote:
What if the device (my Archos 70 250gb doesn't have an Sd slot) doesn't have a way to insert a chip into it?!

Go here and email the dude whether the app will allow you to send the app links to your internal separate hard drive. If it can I'm sure he'll tell you how to do it.

http://www.link2sd.info

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Allright so I'm back here to report that 1 year later I tried these recommendations. timjcarter thanks again for the guide! However...

I have following things to note/complement to guide:
- for rooting the files have to be placed in root directory and if there is an error in flashing, the file has to be downloaded and copied again (preferably from a mirror)
- for formatting the sd card it should be as a primary partition I guess (as said other guide), not sure if it would change anything including the fact that my winXP laptop which I used to partition the card (in its card slot) later stopped recognizing it (suggests reformatting), though other winxp laptop sees it, no logic lol
- also ext3 is probably best choice for 2nd partition which is advised not to exceed 1gb (fat32 is advised for lager partition not referring to overall card size from what I read)
- before next step we get onto significant problem: google play can be installed by arctools and these are paid now, there was no clue in the appslib store app how to connect the account with paypal ...anyway I didnt bother and found apk file to download:
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/com.arctablet.arctools.apk
(i did reformat whole device also after firmware flashing, considered it reasonable so it was clean)
- the sd speed increase app seems not to keep the setting after first reboot, as set, but later it was ok
- link2sd has 2 options for moving/linking apps that make some confusion: "link2SD" and "APP2SD" - difference is the last one is native android option, seems to move simply to default sd partition and perhaps not always all data so "link2sd" should be better choice
- the arctools app should not be linked/moved to sd as it stops working

Also I did the mistake of downloading standard apps (gmail, maps, some other unneeded as it turned out) through arctools and they are listed as system apps ...but i see now I can deletem them from link2sd. Anyway I have now ~220mb of system memory and about ~80mb of ram

BUT...

I don't know if it was worth the hasle. Unfortunately to me the words "flying" or "lightning fast" seem to be far from appropriate for this sluggish tablet...it still feels quite slow! I think now it is just properly set so it will not get worse and worse with time... the card was some more expensive available in the store: ADATA 16gb some 16class or sth (in the working tablet at the moment)
Not expecting some iphone or top notch todays device performance but something closer to single core android phone like for example my GF's xperia mini pro

Did anyone try swap partition if it works on gen8 or makes noticable difference ? something liek this maybe:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1659231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi przemke

There is no way to make a gen8 tablet lightning fast because the really important limitations are the CPU and RAM. Everything else is marginal at best and usually works about as well as pi**ing into the wind. You may have noticed that there are plenty of subjective claims about various performance improvements but no numbers or objective data.

Adding more swap space will not help. About the last thing you want a laggy device to do is to increase its tendency to use slow disk space in place of RAM.

I've been using my gen8 A43IT for about three years now so I have tried various configurations and firmwares including stuff like Urukdroid and chrulri's root and so forth.

If you can live with Urukdroid's deficiencies (no hardware video acceleration, lousy battery life, flaky wifi, no native samba browsing and plenty of other stuff) it is probably your best bet for getting the best performance. Next would be the gingerbread based cyanogenmod but again you have no or very limited hardware video decoding so it ceases to be a real multimedia tablet. The other methods of running rooted are chrulri's root and the more recent openAOS Multi Boot method but without the gingerbread upgrade. I think both use a compressed file system overlay (squashfs and unionfs) so they both have a performance hit. The openAOS method is a bit more flexible as it includes a decent bootloader so you have some easy to set options at boot time if you like. The main thing is you get root and can disable a lot of stuff you don't need. There is a useful tool "autostarts" available in the f-droid repository and this can help switch off a zillion things that matter to google but may be of no value to you or me. A big performance killer is Google Play. It is much more resource hungry than the old Market app and system and once it is on your device it likes to stay and upgrade itself to newest version even if you prefer it not to. I got the apps I needed from Play then as root deleted my Google account file and uninstalled the Market/Play updates. Once you have no Google account registered on the device and autostart set to disallow the updates you finally get rid of the resource hog. You can still use maps in a browser.

So three years in and I am using a rooted version of Archos firmware (rooted with openAOS Multi Boot method), F-Droid repository, no Google Play, a quite carefully configured autostarts and a selection of software I find useful. It's actually pretty decent. Battery life is still extremely good for multimedia when compared with almost any phone and cheap modern tablets. You aren't going to make that much difference to the performance and even a small improvement will usually have a big penalty (like no video acceleration) so really it's a question of being realistic with the hardware as supplied and not believing even 1% of the posts about how this or that app or ROM or partition scheme transforms the 1GHz CPU into a multi-core performer or the limited RAM into the equivalent of 4GB of DDR3 and a high end Nvidia card and all the other bs that gets claimed.

I have an A43IT and there isn't really a modern equivalent so I'm sticking with it but if I wanted a 10" tablet there is a lot of choice of good stuff at good prices these days so I would consider a Nook HD and running Cyanogenmod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Julian,

Thanks for opening eyes. Yes I remember the performance of gen9, that I got for testing, on honeycomb and it was really OK.

And testerday it got worse, after I left the tablet to my GF as supposingly faster ;) she installed facebook... and it got really slow. App was automatically linked to 2nd part but... program data is not moved and it took over 20mb of data which was enough to make the tablet really slow now when it drops below 200mb of free space (I still can't believe they screwed this all up so much when making the device).

I saw yesterday in one of the posts somewhere that there is an app for moving app data as well - but cannot find it now (some link2sd topic on xda or other forums I guess). Do you guys have a tried one ?

Also I'm going to uninstall maps, gmail as these among others put themselves always in the memory.
In what browsers do you see maps, gmail AND possibly facebook working ? Maybe I should try some older version of facebook app or perhaps some unofficial one. FB is must have for her ;)

Is there a list of archos default apps that are safe to remove ?
or maybe one of the firmware versions is better than the newest ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm 

Gen 8 and gen 9 can run as fast as ever... the problem is extreme app bloat that they weren't designed for. With the original firmware, I find gen 8 flies along if-and-only-if you leave 60mb free in the system app space. Gen 9 zips along for me if-and-only-if you have a whole gig free. I didn't come up with these numbers, but found thru experience that a poster here seemed right about them.

Archos had a focus on media players, not app players. They reserved space for media, unlike the so called samsung galaxy players which reserve a huge amount for apps and hardly anything for media. Popular apps today have become grossly bloated for needless features.

I don't have any trouble with this scheme, and use devices for what they are good for. My gen 8 has to be stripped down to just a very few apps, but it is one of the few devices that can handle a 64gb card of media without gaggling on endless media scans. My gen 9 also is mostly for media with just a few more apps than my gen 8. I have newer devices where bloated apps go... not expensive new devices but cheap refurbs of discontinued lines like galaxy players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

przemke wrote:
Hi Julian,

Thanks for opening eyes. Yes I remember the performance of gen9, that I got for testing, on honeycomb and it was really OK.

And testerday it got worse, after I left the tablet to my GF as supposingly faster ;) she installed facebook... and it got really slow. App was automatically linked to 2nd part but... program data is not moved and it took over 20mb of data which was enough to make the tablet really slow now when it drops below 200mb of free space (I still can't believe they screwed this all up so much when making the device).

I saw yesterday in one of the posts somewhere that there is an app for moving app data as well - but cannot find it now (some link2sd topic on xda or other forums I guess). Do you guys have a tried one ?

Also I'm going to uninstall maps, gmail as these among others put themselves always in the memory.
In what browsers do you see maps, gmail AND possibly facebook working ? Maybe I should try some older version of facebook app or perhaps some unofficial one. FB is must have for her ;)

Is there a list of archos default apps that are safe to remove ?
or maybe one of the firmware versions is better than the newest ?

For Google Maps you can use the Lightning browser from the F-Droid repo. It seems to be a lightweight UI that uses the native google browser engine. In its settings you can allow Location Access and then when you go to maps.google.com it will ask you to allow/disallow location sharing. Allow it and you have a perfectly working Google Maps. I don't use gmail or facebook on my tablet so I don't know about those.

Most of the tools for moving apps and data to SD card are ineffective because they expect a different directory structure than Archos use (Archos in effect has physical external sd card file system mounted on the notional "sd card" which is physically the internal storage).

I guess I use my A43IT in a similar way as viking - a minimal selection of apps installed and a ton of multimedia. I have the multimedia plug-in pack and this device is still a brilliant pocket sized video player. As a bonus I can run ssh with tunnels, browse windows/samba shares, listen to intenet radio and so on.

I don't use the archos/android audio players at all because they can't do gapless, or bookmarking well enough for audio books, and I got annoyed by the endless library scanning and errors. I put a .nomedia file in my audio directories and use Rockbox and deadbeef for all audio stuff and leave the Archos multimedia system to just handle video and images with the native video player and quickpic respectively. This is all very snappy and utterly reliable. deadbeef can play remote playlists such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_aaclca.pls or an mpd server playlist which the native player can't, and Rockbox can play all my local music files (and shares) and does excellent bookmarking and has a sleeptimer.

I have used every firmware revision since I bought the device in February 2011 (it was supplied with Android 2.0 Eclair) and while there were a few shockers the last firmware, 2.4.83, is actually perfectly good. I recall most of the 2.3 series being flaky and I figured out how to revert to 2.1.8 and used that for ages but the 2.4 series are good and you should probably just use 2.4.83.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:23 pm 

julian67 wrote:
I don't use the archos/android audio players at all because they can't do gapless, or bookmarking well enough for audio books, and I got annoyed by the endless library scanning and errors. I put a .nomedia file in my audio directories and

For audiobooks on archos, I use the magnificent mortplayer audiobook app... it keeps track of umpteen bookmarks automatically, and backs up a bit when you restart so you can get your bearings. It untangles all my garbaged up tags to get the (often alphabetical) order right. This was posted in one of the "best apps" topics around here.

I also use mortplayer music app, which ignores the stupid media scans... you just setup a default directory which it quickly scans when invoked. Nice to have a nomedia stuck in there, and meanwhile the normal music player ignores that and plays other stuff. Thus you get 2 "genres" without setting tag nonsense. There may be a gapless option in there... he has a zillion options under somewhat confusing terminology, and I have enough trouble figuring out how to get the flavor of shuffle I want which is not the default.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:38 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I did use the mortplayer apps and they were mostly fine but Rockbox is better for me so when it became stable and usable on Android I switched. Rockbox is completely configurable in terms of bookmarking, rewind on pause and/or resume, directory and file sorting, sleep timer, and many other things and it's easy to make a profile for audio books and different ones for music or for different headphones (custom eq and/or crossfeed or different default volume level and so on). The mortplayer apps can't do gapless but aside from that I thought the audio book player was decent enough but Rockbox imo is hugely more capable and has the benefit that it works the same on Android as it does as a firmware on my other devices. These days it also has some excellent touch screen friendly themes mostly thanks to dfkt, see http://www.head-fi.org/t/538735/the-official-rockbox-for-android-registry. Which reminds me that another advantage of Rockbox is that you can modify or even create themes and make full use of the cover art and metadata exactly as you prefer - I'm not interested in players or apps that don't allow displaying comment or composer metadata fields.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi there again,
Returning to this tablet's problem: the app that moves/links app DATA to SD is really needed.
The table is quite ok when it's ~220mb free of app space. when it drops below ~210mb it's getting so horrible. I uninstalled and moved everything i can but still apps like fb messenger generate many mb'ytes of data that make this a huge problem.

Didn't find it yes but sure it is there, does anyone know it ?