Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Application Memory on 43
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have been reading many discussions about application memory. This seems to be a bit of a touchy subject, so I want to preface my novice questions with an appeal for patience on the part of the experts.

I keep getting the low memory warning. I understand that the total app space is limited to around 300Mb, and that space can be freed by moving apps to internal storage. I have done this. When I go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications(Sort by Size), I can see how much app space each app uses. This totals about 41.25Mb. Settings>Storage reports 27.43Mb free.

This totals 68.68Mb. Does this seem reasonable, or do I have something set wrong that is eating up a lot of my app space?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

DRJones wrote:
Settings>Applications>Manage Applications(Sort by Size)

Try Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All(Sort by Size)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I see your point.

OK, I took the time to add that up and it comes to 60.28Mb. With the 27.43 free, that totals 87.71Mb. Am I still missing a lot of app storage?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:10 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

That looks normal. The internal application storage contains the apk packages for the apps you installed, plus their unpacked instaled size plus any data they cache. It also includes the virtual machine data generated when the apps are installed and which is required to run them.

I booted my A43 to the developer edition running Chrulri's root in debug more and then looked at the internal storage from the adb shell:

Internal storage seems to be

Code:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4    269.9M    215.4M     51.7M  81% /data

The apps I installed come to about 66 MB of stored .apk packages in /data/app, and then about the same again for their unpacked size in /data/data, and then about the same size again in /data/dalvik-cache which is the cache area for the Dalvik (java-like) virtual machine which runs Android apps. There are a few more directories, some empty and some with smaller amounts of data and it does correlate to the Settings>Storage>System storage figure on my A43 of 51.68 MB remaining. I'm sure your A43 would look much the same.

If you're feeling brave/curious/desperate/confident you can increase the space available for installed apps http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=54637 but be warned that running Chrulri's root r+w has a major performance penalty. Another alternative is to run Urukdroid but that has some problems as well such as no hardware accelerated video playback so if you watch videos your battery life is really lousy (I write from experience).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK. Thanks. I'm glad that looks about "normal," so I don't actually have a hardware problem, or presumably anything set wrong.

I even understood (most of) your technical explanation. I really appreciate the time you took to check into this.

Soooo, the bottom line is, after all is set up and running, that I actually only have about 40Mb or so of app space at my disposal before the 43 will start complaining about low memory. MX Player, GO Launcher, Adobe Reader, Podcast Addict, and a handful of widgets and small apps, and I'm done?!

Disappointing...

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

I dont feel too constained on my gen 8. I have 3 or 4 screenfulls of apps and widgets, and a ton more can be almost instantly swapped in because i maintain .apk backups of everything. I would never let app space get so full to give the low memory warning... my device needs lots more free space (60?) or it will bog down a lot in speed.

What does your app list look like when using the option to sort in order of size... i only recognize mx player as a pig, even when stuff is relocated out of system memory. Maybe something of yours blew up in size with some special case cache or something that can be purged. I use the super small zeam launcher, in case go is a pig.

Hmm, im starting to wonder if i used outdated or arnova terminology in advising folks how to move from system to internal/pseudo sd memory in gen 8.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

DRJones wrote:
....the bottom line is, after all is set up and running, that I actually only have about 40Mb or so of app space at my disposal before the 43 will start complaining about low memory. MX Player, GO Launcher, Adobe Reader, Podcast Addict, and a handful of widgets and small apps, and I'm done?!

Disappointing...

Am I missing something?

It would definitely be nice if the space was bigger and I've also needed to uninstall stuff to free up space, but it's not a disaster. Many (most?) apps are smaller than 1 MB in size, so there is room for a lot more apps. Also you can find alternative apps which take up less space. For example Adobe Reader is 5 or 6 MB but other pdf readers are much smaller, such as APV PDF Viewer (2.3 MB) or VuDroid (1.4 MB); LauncherPro is about a third the size of GO Launcher and so on. You can see the size of an app before selecting/installing it in Google Play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wow! Thanks for all the good advice!

I think I will back up and uninstall MX Player (10Mb), as I don't use it that often, and look for an alternative to Adobe Reader (5.5Mb). These alone should get me to a comfortable amount of memory. The fours apps i listed are my largest (28+ Mb!!).

At least now I understand better how this all works, so I can function better within the A43's constraints.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK. I backed up Adobe Reader, then I uninstalled it. I downloaded and installed VuDroid. It says 1.3M on Google Play, but my A43 reports 4.09M, and the "Move to internal storage" button is greyed out.

Now what have I done wrong?

EDIT: I see that the 1.3M is the .apk download size, not the actual size of the app.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, my A43 is at it again. Once again it is complaining about low storage.

I had uninstalled MX Player (10M!), and various other apps. The best I could do was to get the free app space up to about 30.5M, but it was enough to keep it quiet. When I turned it on today, the low storage warning was on again, any my free space was down to 20M. I rebooted, which brought the space back to 25M, but it is still complaining.

I have seen advice to not run with less than 50-60M free. I have NEVER seen anywhere near that amount of free space!

What is going on?! Why does my app space "evaporate," even when no new apps have been installed?!

Any harm in running "Check Disk" on the recovery menu?

EDIT: I ran Check Disk this morning. It made no difference. I currently have 25.88M app space free. The warning is on. I cannot uninstall any more apps. Any help would be appreciated...

(Thanks.)

EDIT: OK, I bit the bullet. I reformatted, reloaded the firmware, and restored all of my apps and files. I now have 122M free! I will keep an eye on it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now that the Market has been installed, can I uninstall gApps4Archos? It shows up in my downloaded applications list, and takes up quite a bit of room.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi (again),

I never got an answer to this question...

Now that the Market has been installed, can I uninstall gApps4Archos?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nobody knows?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yes, you can uninstall it.

If you need a similar utility again it's better to use arctools to install the Google suite of apps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the response, that will free up a lot of space!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ummm... can you point me toward arctools?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

arctools

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks!