Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HI.
I have an Archos 43 and now an Archos 10i tablet.
My google account recognizes the A43 device, but I cannot get it to recognize the Archos 10i tablet.

I can see that the Archos 43 is under "my devices" on my account. but cannot find an option to add the 10i.

When I try to download an app from Google, it tells my NO telephone associated to this Account (or very similar wording....son't have the message in front of me at teh moment!)

HOW do I attach the 10i to my Google account in order to get apps ?
(and what is this new Google Play ?? I need Google translate on the 10i for a trip to Europe!)

Thankss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I assume you're talking about downloading apps from the Market website. In order for the website to note a new device on your account, you need to have the Google Market (now called Google Play) installed on your device - the A101. In so doing, you will proviude details of your Google account in the app.

Run the Market app on your A101, and download an app. This action will tell the website that you have an A101 to download apps to.

Then, when you go to the Market website, your device should be listed.

In case you don't have the Market app installed on your device, you can download Arctools from Appslib. When you run Arctools, it will let you install the Google Market (Play) app.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for you response. I have tried all that... the Arctools app installs, but when I try to install the MARKET from Arctools screen, it gives me an error.

Also - Google Play now only lists the NEWER generation of Archos as supported devices....the way they write it, it sounds like the Archos 43 and Archos 10i no longer can get Goolge Apps .

I will try again when I get home from work.

I also tried going into Google Desktop on my desk/tower computer, under Calendar, Settings, etc as some other fourms have suggested -- but even there I cannot find the place to ADD a device to my account.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting. So you're saying that Arctools no longer works? Oh dear. Lets hope I don't have to setup any of my devices from scratch again.

My A5IT's and my A70's, my old A101, and even an Asus Transformer are all listed in my account.

My difficulty, as with other people, involves getting rid of devices from my account, rather than adding them. Lots of people have devices listed, which they no longer own.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FWIW, I did a full A70 wipe yesterday and Arctools reinstalled the market correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for all the responses
I was hoping to avoid a full swipe -- last time I did that, I lost a couple of PAID apps that I use ALOT, and now with the apps market not working, I can't get them back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ok.

About the full swipe thing - chicken and egg. The object of the exercise is to get the Market working for you. If you do this ok, then you WILL get your paid apps back.

However, more generally speaking, in order for you not to lose ANY of your apps EVER, go to Appslib and download and install Android Manager Free. Press the App Manager tab> Select all> Batch backup. This will backup ALL your apps, paid and free, to apk files, which you can copy to your PC and keep forever.

Do this before you do the "full swipe".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41-

I can't seem to find "Android Manager Free." Can you tell me where to find this? It does not seem to be in the Market, at least not under that name...

(Thanks.)

OOooppss...

Just noticed "appslib"... [blush]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DRJones wrote:
jamie41-

I can't seem to find "Android Manager Free." Can you tell me where to find this? It does not seem to be in the Market, at least not under that name...

(Thanks.)

OOooppss...

Just noticed "appslib"... [blush]

No need to blush. This is a vitally important (practical) point to note for Archos Gen 8 users.

If you have to "rebuild" your Gen 8 Archos from scratch, then, after a format from the Recovery Menu, followed by a FW install, you will have a virgin installation, with no Market, but with Appslib installed. So, before you copy over and install your favourite apps from backed up apk copies (the first one I install is ADW.Launcher) the first thing you should do is open Appslib, install Arctools from there, then using Arctools, install the Market. That way, the latest versions of the apps shown in your Google account will appear for download. Anything not shown there can be installed from backed up copies. This reduces the number of "old" versions you will install, minimising the need to update everything.

While you're in Appslib, you might as well install Android Manager Free. There are other apps which do this, but this one is simple, free, and easy to use.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for all the informative posts.

I actually solved the problem by UNINSTALLING ARCTOOLS, then resinstalling it from APPSLIB.

After a reboot (or 2) Arctools worked, Market (now Google Play) downloaded and seems to be working.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 -

I can't seem to find ADW.Launcher in the Market. Am I looking in the right place? There is a paid app there, perhaps the free version is no longer available?