Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

So I decided to do my wife a favor and do a load of laundry (she doesn't like me touching it after a couple sweater/dryer incidents) since they were MY items and had a full basket taking up both hands and I needed to take the 70 downstairs to put on the charger and didn't want to take the chance of dropping it while holding the basket so I put it on top of the nice soft clothes all protected and safe.

Then I got distracted, and next thing I'm dumping the whole basket Archos and all into the Bosch front loader. Set to Perm Press Warm and off I went outside.

I can't really describe my reaction when I saw the tablet come out with the clothes. I would have thought anger had someone posed the scenario, but it was more like plain shock and depression. I had only had the thing for a month.

Well, out of sheer desperation I stuck it in rice which soaked up a lot of water, but the LCD screen was still full of it, so after a day I decided to tear the thing down to the last screw and piece of tape and try to dry it out. I used to do this sort of electronic work so it didn't really worry me. Besides, how much worse could things get?

Anyway, I disassembled to the panel level removing each piece of film one at a time and blotting them dry. I reassembled and re-taped everything inside since the washed removed all the glue, and holding my breath, powered on.

I was shocked. The Archos booted up and looked like nothing was wrong until I tried the screen. It responded to touches, but was all over the place and random. Touching "back" for instance would start Pandora, and touching Pandora would start the browser all the while the screen shaking and jittering all over the place. So I tried for about 20 minutes tapping all over till I finally managed to get to the calibration section in settings which took another 5 minutes of tapping before I got it to do the calibration.

Well, that done, the 70 is like-new again. Other than the few dents in the sides of the bezel where it took the beating in the washer, I can't tell anything ever happened!

Needless to say, I am relieved. And I got to learn how to take this thing apart when the batteries need replacing or upgrading.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

WOW!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

wow. Looks like the Archos tablets are rough and "tumble". :)