Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: New 43
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got an Archos 43 yesterday and I'm still not sure. I had thought about going with the Archos 5 because I really wanted more storage space but just got a deal on it that I couldn't pass up. I have had a really hard time typing on the screen. It's gotten a little better as I've become a little more accustomed to it but still seem to fat finger the wrong key quite often or get repeated presses when I only intend to press once. It was a lot of fun typing in my routers password. I seem to remember reading a review that said there was an app you could get that made the typing significantly easier but I don't recall what that app was. Does anyone know what app they may have been referring to?

Also, I installed a heywire app so that I could send sms texts from my 43. Does anyone know if I have to leave that app open all the time to get incoming texts or does it have a process that runs in the background that will notify me of new ones.

Post subject: Re: New 43
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try using a stylus or your fingernail. The resistive screens are NOT fat finger friendly.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can answer the Heywire question now. You do get an update even if the app is not open so it is running in the background if anyone else has that question.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried playing a FLAC file on my 43 and received a message that said something to the effect that this format is not supported. I thought the 43 should be able to play FLAC. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

stangdaman wrote:
I tried playing a FLAC file on my 43 and received a message that said something to the effect that this format is not supported. I thought the 43 should be able to play FLAC. Any ideas?

Have you updated to the most recent firmware? If so, it is a weird bug (one I'm all too familiar with) and usually I have to end up restarting the device itself. I don't know the cause, or anything like that, but it has happened to me with .mp3 files too, and it happens often.

It's quite annoying and it truly makes you wonder how cheap Chinese crap that costs a sixteenth of my A43 could get audio files right while a well established audiophile's device screwed it up :/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just had it happen with an mp3 too. It says my firmware is up to date though. In fact it looks like I can't play any music at all right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

stangdaman wrote:
I just had it happen with an mp3 too. It says my firmware is up to date though. In fact it looks like I can't play any music at all right now.

Yeppers, its the new firmware update that killed the most primordial of tasks. I feel your pain, I can't even look at my Archos anymore I'm so ashamed of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Forcing a reboot fixed mp3s for me. I still can't play FLAC files though. Maybe it's the files I have. Anyone know of a site that has sample flac files you can download?

Yup, it looks like it must have been something wrong with the file actually because I just downloaded a flac file from:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?colle ... %2Fcreator

and it worked just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anyone know if there is a maximum class for the micro sd slot on the archos? I'm thinking of adding more storage and will probably go with a 32gb card but was just curious if it matters which class card or if the Archos could handle a class 10 speed card.

Also, are there any accessories available yet for the 43? One thing that would be nice would be a breakout cable for the device so that if I go to someone house that doesn't have hdmi and wanted to show them something I could still use the video out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

stangdaman wrote:
Also, are there any accessories available yet for the 43? One thing that would be nice would be a breakout cable for the device so that if I go to someone house that doesn't have hdmi and wanted to show them something I could still use the video out.

You mean something like mini-hdmi to vga or mini-hdmi to dvi cable? If yes, they are plenty of Chinese ones. :D Otherwise, please explain. :) There are not much special accesoires for A43IT - just screen protectors, cases/sleeves, some cables(like usb-host cable) and skinomi skins.
_
I think Archos can handle Class 10, but I don't know if it can use all advantages of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, I mean something that doesn't use HDMI. For instance if you wanted to hook up to a non digital input on an older tv or if someone didn't have an HDMI slot available so you wanted to hook into the component or composite in. I guess I mean something along the lines of the dock that was available for the Archos 5. I haven't seen anything like that so I'm assuming no but I thought I'd check.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Read this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37808

You can only get mini-hdmi to vga/dvi port(digital), for composite(analog) you will need some expensive converters. It will cost you around 100$(can be a bit less, but do not expect to find it at BestBuy for 20$) and a lot of cables/things. Do you really need it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It would be nice. The only time I would use the video out is at someone elses house not my own and not everyone has an open HDMI port on their TV. For that matter I don't either. I think the Archos 5 probably would have fit my needs more. I'm not really satisfied with the lack of storage space and less features of the 43. It's a nice device but I really wanted more of a media player than an internet device.