Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 am 
Archos User
Archos User

For those who may be trying to trouble shoot issues, here are links to full FCC documentation for the 101 and 70 (including internal photos and test data). FYI, it looks like the builder of the Archos gen 8 tablets is Shenzhen EBO Technology, LTD--looking at the application letters, you'll see that they directed all inquiries during testing to Shenzhen. (Makes one wonder how involved Archos has been in the design and manufacturing process.)

Link to 101 FCC documents. https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=388411&fcc_id='SOV8000'

Link to 70 FCC documents. https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=296880

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mke1973 wrote:
(Makes one wonder how involved Archos has been in the design and manufacturing process.)

Very involved. If you don't think so look at the number of FW updates the Gen8s have received compared to the Home Tablets.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
mke1973 wrote:
(Makes one wonder how involved Archos has been in the design and manufacturing process.)

Very involved. If you don't think so look at the number of FW updates the Gen8s have received compared to the Home Tablets.

Allen

I don't see how firmware updates has anything to do with design and manufacture. My father and I maintained, created software and tested the F-16 sims for the US Air force. We had nothing to do with design or man. But we did everything else.

XDA has created custom firmware and they update but they have nothing to do with how the hardware was made.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

macgyver40 wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:
mke1973 wrote:

Allen

I don't see how firmware updates has anything to do with design and manufacture.

Historically, in the case of Archos branded tablets it Does. No Archos tablets are manufactured by Archos. The 7HT design was contracted out by Archos and has received one FW update. The Gen8 designs were done in house by Archos. They have received 8 FW updates.

When the user community creates a Gen8 FW it's a fork of the OS. Not bad, not good, just not Archos.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

macgyver40 wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:
mke1973 wrote:

Allen

I don't see how firmware updates has anything to do with design and manufacture. My father and I maintained, created software and tested the F-16 sims for the US Air force. We had nothing to do with design or man. But we did everything else.

XDA has created custom firmware and they update but they have nothing to do with how the hardware was made.

Read the submission letters. Archos referred all questions to the Chinese manufacturer. This leads me to believe they went shopping for tablets and may not have played much, if any role, in the design. This may explain why the frequent FW updates recently may have created more problems for some users--Archos software engineers may not be that familiar with the hardware if Archos didn't design it, and some of their coding is causing issues on some units. The internal photos also show more of the parts than the end-user tear down photos that have been posted. Such photos may be helpful in trouble shooting.