Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Google Books Storage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey,

So I just got my Archos 101 8GB. I'm loving it. I downloaded Google Books and then went online and downloaded a bunch of books. I went into Settings> Storage location and set it to "Internal storage." I wanted the books to be available if I was not on wifi. I went into Manage eBooks and then clicked on all the tacks to make them blue and put them on my device.

After a while, my books downloaded but I got a system notification

Code:
Low on space. Device storage space is getting low.

After reading that I was confused. There was no way, the books I downloaded equaled 8GB. So I went to System Settings>Storage and this is what I have (I don't have, and never have, had an SD card in this device).

Code:
[b]Internal Storage[/b]
Total space: 6.94Gb
Available space: 6.77Gb
[b]SD card[/b]
Total space: Unavailable
Available space: Unavailable
[b]External drive[/b]
Total space: Unavailable
Available space: Unavailable
[b]System storage[/b]
Available space: 9.55MB

So after looking at this I am assuming that I am getting a warning because my system space is getting low. Now the question is: How do I get Google Books to put the books I tell it to download on Internal storage? As I said above I told it to do that, but it seems to be putting it on System storage.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Google Books Storage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm 

antwonw wrote:
I went into Settings> Storage location and set it to "Internal storage." I wanted the books to be available if I was not on wifi. I went into Manage eBooks and then clicked on all the tacks to make them blue and put them on my device.

Go back to the settings default and redownload - you are sabotaging yourself by being too fancy. Just pinning them is sufficient to put them into something like android/data/blahblahcomblahbooks/blablah and be available in your 8gig offline.

Always try the simple way before giving up, and don't get distracted by the misnomer sdcard. For historical reasons it often means your 8gig area and not a physical sdcard. Your 8gig area actually has sdcard in the directory name, and a real sdcard is something like blah/sdcard/sdcard!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Simply put, forget about the books. You're getting the message because of the Google Books app, and the remaing app storage space.

"Available space: 9.55MB". You are almost out of app storage space. Think about uninstalling some apps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:29 pm 

I thought the settings override was cramming too much into "memory" - set that back to default first and the problem may go away.

EDIT=> i mean set books to dl back in SDCARD regardless if u have one. Also don't override apps2sd to take apps off your (pseudo)sdcard. The defaults are all set up to work right for you and not overstuff memory. just go along with the misnomers. i tested this books setting 4 u

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks viking for clearing that up. I was getting a :? headache.

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
Simply put, forget about the books. You're getting the message because of the Google Books app, and the remaing app storage space.

"Available space: 9.55MB". You are almost out of app storage space. Think about uninstalling some apps.

Nah, It can't be because of that. I only have like 10 apps install. Viking is spot-on on this one.

viking wrote:
antwonw wrote:
I went into Settings> Storage location and set it to "Internal storage." I wanted the books to be available if I was not on wifi. I went into Manage eBooks and then clicked on all the tacks to make them blue and put them on my device.

Go back to the settings default and redownload - you are sabotaging yourself by being too fancy. Just pinning them is sufficient to put them into something like android/data/blahblahcomblahbooks/blablah and be available in your 8gig offline.

Always try the simple way before giving up, and don't get distracted by the misnomer sdcard. For historical reasons it often means your 8gig area and not a physical sdcard. Your 8gig area actually has sdcard in the directory name, and a real sdcard is something like blah/sdcard/sdcard!

Yeah! This is working. Thank you. The storage message went away and I see now where they are being stored on the 8GB (Android/data/com.google.android.apps.books/files/volumes/).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

antwonw wrote:
System storage

Nah, It can't be because of that. I only have like 10 apps install. Viking is spot-on on this one.

Eh?

You have 9.55MB left out of 300MB and don't expect to get a low memory warning?

Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
antwonw wrote:
System storage

Eh?

You have 9.55MB left out of 300MB and don't expect to get a low memory warning?

Good luck with that.

No, because like Viking said, I was telling Google Books to put all my books on the system storage. So that is why I only had 9.55MB out of 300MB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:30 am 

viking wrote:
don't get distracted by the misnomer sdcard. For historical reasons it often means your 8gig area and not a physical sdcard. Your 8gig area actually has sdcard in the directory name, and a real sdcard is something like blah/sdcard/sdcard!

I forgot how my claims can't be verified with the stock file browser. But on es file explorer, if you do a long press on any file on the root, and press properties... it shows your path is sdcard/. So everything you can access is a virtual sdcard to apps that access it that way. Go into any file on a physical sdcard, long press, and properties shows a path of sdcard/sdcard/!

Whew, this exercise motivated me to do more battle with google books reader and it's awful human factors. By exploring every obscure setting I made readibility half way tolerable, and sure got a huge world of books - especially 80+ year old freebies out of copyright. There is supposed to be a way google can provide epub formats to aldiko for easier reading, but that appears to be for paid ones only?

EDIT> At first I found it hard to search free books on google books app, until I found if you do a magnify lense search it will pop up a "free" button on upper right which you can click. Then you get out of the mode where it only shows you essentially the same free books as aldiko does, and can find a gazillion on any obscure subject. But I can't seem to narrow it down to languange type like the pc version of google book search.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

where did you download the google books application?

I can not find it in the market (the fix/unfix issue) and can't even install it from web (incompatible carrier)
I have an Archos 101 IT

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

greggie wrote:
where did you download the google books application?

DId you go here and download the Archos Apps Installer? (http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/)

greggie wrote:
I can not find it in the market (the fix/unfix issue) and can't even install it from web (incompatible carrier)

Did you follow these steps exactly from the issues tab in Archos Apps Installer (http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-in ... etail?id=2)?

Code:
Go to your Application settings > Manage Applications > Running Tab
Find Market > Force Stop then Clear Cache (Do NOT press clear data)
Find Google Services > Clear Data then Force Stop
If you try to run Market now you will get a data connection error.
Reboot

Here's a youtube link, its for another tablet but the steps
to do the Market fix also fix the Market on our Archos.