Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I did run some tests to compare gAppsInstaller to Arctools. From my tests, I concluded there's no significant difference between the two.
Approach:
1. Since Market does not give you all the apps without a key word search....after trying many keywords to find one which is giving the highest number of results, I decided on "Android" as keyword. So I used that to test how many apps I get in Market.
2. I did install V5.Final of gAppsInstaller. Run the test in both Market fixed State and Market Unfixed State
3. I did install Arctools and run the test in both Market fixed State and Market Unfixed State
4. Install Chulri SDE, Change buildprop fingerprint to Droid X Verizon, and install both gApp & Arctools versions and run both in Fixed & Unfixed states
5. Once you changed the build prop you able to see more apps since copy protected apps like Tv.com, sling player are now included in the results

Here are the tests results:

1. GAppsInstaller will stick in the Android Web Market version only if you do not apply the fix. As soon as you do it does disappear
2. Arctools will stick in the Android Web Market version in the fixed state. Mine actually disappear after a while once I unfix my Market.
3. In each of the version the fix will hide some apps (Google earth, TVU, flash Player to name a few) but will give you more apps including: Google maps, zeam launcher, ADW to name a few
4. The build.prop fix will give you much more apps in each of the version. Allows copy protected apps like Slingplayer, Tv.com, .to show up in both versions.
3. Here are the results in this order: Market-Unfixed-Buildprop-Unfixed, Market fixed-Buildprop-Unfixed, Market-Unfixed-Buildprop-Fixed, Market-Fixed-Buildprop-Fixed
gAppsV5final: 89095 ÔÇô 97208 ÔÇô 124326 ÔÇô 139598
Arctools: 89056 ÔÇô 97162 ÔÇô 124303 - 139552

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wow cool post
thanks for the comparison!
that gives a lot more clarity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Can you change the buildprop on the standard Archos firmware w/o SDE?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Very interesting process. I appreciate the good work. Did you come up with any "conclusions". Also, with apps now being available on the internet browser, is this as major of an issue as it was before? Can you download apps you can see on the browser that do not show up in the Market?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gte105u wrote:
Very interesting process. I appreciate the good work. Did you come up with any "conclusions". Also, with apps now being available on the internet browser, is this as major of an issue as it was before? Can you download apps you can see on the browser that do not show up in the Market?

I have Market via Arctools on my A101. It's "fixed", so I can't see Flash any more.

When I visit http://market.android.com and login, it shows me Flash and tells me it's "Installed". When i click on Installed, I'm offered "Choose another device on which to install". When i click on the little arrow at the end of the line, a greyed out "A101" appears. When I hover over the greyed out A101, I'm told "This item is not compatible with your device."

In My Market Account my device is clearly shown as A101IT. So, the "compatibility" shown on the website seems to reflect the "compatibility" shown on the device.

What I'm trying to say is, "No" - I can't download an app which I can see on the website, but not see on my A101.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am curious about this "compatibility" issue. Wonder if it is because we are about to get an optimized version, or if Adobe and Archos have butted heads and Google/Adobe have blocked it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gte105u wrote:

Conclusions:

1. gAppsInstaller is not different from Arctools for the number of results you get. I think the silight diffence is due to the lag time while I'm uninstalling Arctool and install gApps on the same machine. I think apps increase in google Market by hours...so for me there's no statistically significant difference between the two Markets as far as the number of apps. I did run random tests searching with gApps first, then installing Arctool and searching with it and also I got slightly more aps in Arctool....so I guess lag time plays a role
2. Fixe and unfixed is more significant since it ony takes a few minutes to undo the fix or to do it. Check my other posts for my rootine to switch back and forth...worked 100%
3. Build prop fixed or not is more significant since I used two devices: one with fixed build prop and one without.
4. You can not modifiy buildprop without installing the SDE. The only two roots which give you that are: Chulri root and Sauron's roots and both involve SDE. Archangel root on the side for me is to be avoided. The guy never hanged around. So he's not part of the team. I will never use that root. And it does not give you RW to the file system straght forward. You probably would need to include a script changing the fingerpoint at start. and set up the sript to run at boot all the time but not sure the changes will stick with squashfs stuff.
5. I love the Web Market version. It's the only tool which can show all that is available in Android Market independantly of "compatibilities" or not. At least I know such and such app exist. The Market App on your device hide stuff from you and it's hard to know even if this or that is even available. Specially with the "loose" interpretation of compatibility by google.
6. The way you set up Market on your device is a still a big deal. As Sweetypie stated anything you can not see on your device, you won't be able to install from the web. It will grayed out.
7. Apps not compatible may be due to hardware, location, carrier, android version,lack of approved google device id, ....Many of these apps would run just fine even if not 100% if they need something like gps..
8. I'm tending to prefer Arctools since it was sticking on Web Market in fixed state. But gApps was sticking on the web in Unfixed state. I slightly prefer fixed state since it gives more apps.
But this not a very big deal ---- I have used my "unfix rootine" over and over to move back and forth. And you allways may have the need to swtich between the two states
9. Seeing protected apps is a big deal from me. I have used other methods including buying another phone with the sole goal to be able to purchase or downlaod free & paid protected apps. Have also use the Android Virtual Device on my PC. But frankly both are cumbersome.
So changing the fingerprint is so easy. Now I have set up the fingerpingt to the Samsung Galaxy tab. Very easy now to get apps on your Archos even if protected. I do not care the SDE warranty issue.
10. I have to mention some people who were not able to get their device to stick in the Web Market account have reported that it does after changing the fingerprint. I would have to try this since as I said gApps version would only stick for me in unfixed state and Arctools only in fixed state.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

overflow wrote:
wow cool post

Overflow, thanks for your post. I almost thought I wasted my time to do this and that nobody cared. I appreiciate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:
overflow wrote:
wow cool post

Overflow, thanks for your post. I almost thought I wasted my time to do this and that nobody cared. I appreiciate.

My thanks too, and my apologies for not saying thanks before. I'm just too busy reading the posts with interest. I'd like to know exactly what it is under the covers which the Market picks up as an identifier for each device, to determine compatibility.

Something I find interesting is that My Market Account lists (almost, but not quite) all the apps I've downloaded, irrespective of device "state". Also, since this website has only just kicked off, to get started, it listed all the apps I had in their existing database, against my account. But all those apps were downloaded onto my A5IT over the past twelve months, not my A101, which is the only one it will (easily) list. Now it won't list apps downloaded onto my A5IT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One question about gAppsInstaller v5. After install market, etc, can I uninstall gAppsInstaller, or if I do it, market crashes and won┬┤t run?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:14 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Thanks, bhmm, very interesting. Good work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

glowcohen wrote:
Thanks, bhmm, very interesting. Good work!
you're welcome glowcohen.
dinamo wrote:
One question about gAppsInstaller v5. After install market, etc, can I uninstall gAppsInstaller, or if I do it, market crashes and
won┬┤t run?
dinamo, I removed my gAppsinstaller and the Market still works fine. it's only an installer.

Quote:
My thanks too, and my apologies for not saying thanks before. I'm just too busy reading the posts with interest. I'd like to know exactly what it is under the covers which the Market picks up as an identifier for each device, to determine compatibility.

you're welcome Sweetypie. From what I understand it use the manifest published by the device to find out all that the device capabilities. But one key thing is the fingerprint. I've used the Gtab & Droid X fingerprints to get my Market recognized as legitimate device. These fingerprints are found in the build.prop file on your device. You may try to change these on the A5IT since I believe you have root on it.

Here's the Gtab: ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/GT-P1000/GT-P1000/GT-P1000:2.2/FROYO/XXJJ3:user/release-keys
Droid X ro.build.fingerprint=ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys

This forum below discussed this change. Personally I just used RootExplorer ( no adb)

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-th ... e-mod.html

Quote:
Something I find interesting is that My Market Account lists (almost, but not quite) all the apps I've downloaded, irrespective of device "state". Also, since this website has only just kicked off, to get started, it listed all the apps I had in their existing database, against my account. But all those apps were downloaded onto my A5IT over the past twelve months, not my A101, which is the only one it will (easily) list. Now it won't list apps downloaded onto my A5IT.

For me too it listed all had purchased/downloaded on A5IT. But I no longer have and A5IT otherwise I would check it out. Let us know if the fingerprint change makes a difference for the A5IT to stick on your Web Market account. Also try a new e-mail (which may not be convenient)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks bhmm, I'll try it later. Yes, I use Root Explorer too, what a performance it is using ADB, when you've got Root Explorer.

I don't get what you mean by using a "new" email account? To test what?

As it happens, I do have another Gmail account, and I've used it to buy from the Market. I had already bought Copilot from the Market for one of my two 32GB A5ITs, and I wanted to buy another copy for my second 32GB A5IT. But I didn't want the registration at ALK (the Copilot company) to get confused because I had bought two copies from the same Gmail account, which they use to validate the purchase. So I opened another GMail account.

Then I had to wipe the gapps and market data on my second A5IT so that I could enter a new Gmail account, and buy from a whole new device. Having done that, I then wiped the gapps and market data again, to go back to my original Gmail account. That way I can still download all my "purchased" items from my first Gmail account onto both devices.

Of course, that was last June. It was easy to switch accounts then, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
When I visit http://market.android.com and login, it shows me Flash and tells me it's "Installed". When i click on Installed, I'm offered "Choose another device on which to install". When i click on the little arrow at the end of the line, a greyed out "A101" appears. When I hover over the greyed out A101, I'm told "This item is not compatible with your device."

UPDATE 1:

I changed the fingerprint to the Samsung one:

Here's the Gtab: ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/GT-P1000/GT-P1000/GT-P1000:2.2/FROYO/XXJJ3:user/release-keys

Now when I go to market.android.com, and hover over the A101 greyed out device it says:

"Your device already has this item installed", rather than "This item is not compatible with your device."

So, the website is obviously reading its own database of apps, and also reading the "fingerprint" of your Archos, live, to establish compatibility.

Now, do I keep this fingerprint? I see that Chulri has chosen this for himself, in his own installation. By the way, I installed Chulri's quick temproot solution to do this. I considered his "permroot" solution, but I chickened out. Maybe another day.

Thanks again bhmm.

:D

UPDATE 2:

I no longer know why I did this. I think people have done this to see protected apps? However, I'm back to the same situation of having to UNFIX to see Flash, and FIX to see ADW.Launcher, so ...

Should I keep this fingerprint? Maybe I'll just go back to my original Archos one, and keep these two alternative fingerprints in a text file for future use when I cannot see something I think I want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
sweetypie wrote:
Now, do I keep this fingerprint?
Thanks again bhmm.

You're very welcome. I would keep the fingerprint. It make your device legit and gives you protected apps. Just look at my numbers above:

Unfixed state-:89095 (build prop not fixed) VS 124326 (build prop fixed) --- 35231 more apps
Fixed state:97208 (build prop not fixed) VS 139598 (build prop fixed) --- 42390 more apps

About 35000 plus apps difference between a legit fingerprint..that's worth it. Since you rooted with SDE already, you have nothing to loose (warranty loss).

Quote:

I no longer know why I did this. I think people have done this to see protected apps? However, I'm back to the same situation of having to UNFIX to see Flash, and FIX to see ADW.Launcher, so ...
Should I keep this fingerprint? Maybe I'll just go back to my original Archos one, and keep these two alternative fingerprints in a text file for future use when I cannot see something I think I want.

Yes you still need FIX and Unfix...that's inherent to the Markets apps Hack apps we're using...it seems. With build prop fixed or not TVU, flash, Google Earth and others...will only be availabe in unfixed and vice versa for Google maps, Zeam, ADW, ...
But

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey Bhmm.

Ha! You missed it too - LOL.

After I wrote my last post, where I couldn't remember why I did the fingerprint thing, I went for a drive. It cleared my head.

The reason I did it was nothing to do with my A101. Check your earlier post where you invited me to do it. I should have done it on my already rooted A5IT. Duh.

Back to the drawing board ...

:oops:

Thanks for the explanation about the total numbers of apps. I'll keep the samsung fingerprint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
Hey Bhmm.

Ha! You missed it too - LOL.

After I wrote my last post, where I couldn't remember why I did the fingerprint thing, I went for a drive. It cleared my head.

The reason I did it was nothing to do with my A101. Check your earlier post where you invited me to do it. I should have done it on my already rooted A5IT. Duh.

Back to the drawing board ...

:oops:

Thanks for the explanation about the total numbers of apps. I'll keep the samsung fingerprint.

Yeah....I had that in mind to ask you why you chose to do it on A101 and A5IT.....the forgot... Lol...The age thing I guess..lol!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:
Yeah....I had that in mind to ask you why you chose to do it on A101 and A5IT.....the forgot... Lol...The age thing I guess..lol!

The age thing? How dare you? Hmph ...

Oh, you mean YOUR age. Sorry ...

[-X

Erm ...

I know you said I should do it on my A5IT, so I assumed you had done it. However, although I do have root on my A5IT, it doesn't give write access to /system, only /data. /data was the loophole Archos left us to get on with some form of rooting. Maybe we need Chulri to turn his attention to the A5IT?

So I can't edit the build.prop file on the A5IT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
bhmm wrote:

The age thing? How dare you? Hmph ...

Oh, you mean YOUR age. Sorry ...

[-X

Erm ...

I know you said I should do it on my A5IT, so I assumed you had done it. However, although I do have root on my A5IT, it doesn't give write access to /system, only /data. /data was the loophole Archos left us to get on with some form of rooting. Maybe we need Chulri to turn his attention to the A5IT?

So I can't edit the build.prop file on the A5IT.

Lol, just me....not you.... Lol......
Now guess what.......flash 10 now showing up as compatible for your 101 may not have anything to do with the fingerprint change. It 's because your Market is now in unfixed state. Flash will show incompatible in your Web and your local Market is in fixed state. Fingerprint change is not solving the fix/unfix discrepency issue with apps. It does only help with protected apps...from what I can see for now. I may have to play more with this issue.

If you do a keyword search on Android and get about 125000 you're in unfixed state but if you do get about 139000 you in fixed state. I tested this...for me flash 10 won't show up as compatible in fixed state even with Samsung "fingers" on my Archos. And flash 10 won't come up with keyword search in my local Market until I undo the fix .

....Hey the age thing I will more carefull next time lol...

Damn...that's not good about 5IT......Not sure Chrulri owns a 5IT. May we should gift him with one to thank him and help ourselves....
By the way...can you double check

Last edited by bhmm on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Double check the /system thing? I know that doesn't work - that's tha same reason for both devo's and shotokan's root methods. They are both creating su in /data instead of /system.

EDIT:

By the way, the samsung fingerprint isn't "sticking". It doesn't survive a reboot, for me at least. Each timeI reboot it goes back to Archos/g8/ ......

So the build.prop file must be created at boot time from somewhere else.