Very interesting process. I appreciate the good work. Did you come up with any "conclusions". Also, with apps now being available on the internet browser, is this as major of an issue as it was before? Can you download apps you can see on the browser that do not show up in the Market?
1. gAppsInstaller is not different from Arctools for the number of results you get. I think the silight diffence is due to the lag time while I'm uninstalling Arctool and install gApps on the same machine. I think apps increase in google Market by hours...so for me there's no statistically significant difference between the two Markets as far as the number of apps. I did run random tests searching with gApps first, then installing Arctool and searching with it and also I got slightly more aps in Arctool....so I guess lag time plays a role
2. Fixe and unfixed is more significant since it ony takes a few minutes to undo the fix or to do it. Check my other posts for my rootine to switch back and forth...worked 100%
3. Build prop fixed or not is more significant since I used two devices: one with fixed build prop and one without.
4. You can not modifiy buildprop without installing the SDE. The only two roots which give you that are: Chulri root and Sauron's roots and both involve SDE. Archangel root on the side for me is to be avoided. The guy never hanged around. So he's not part of the team. I will never use that root. And it does not give you RW to the file system straght forward. You probably would need to include a script changing the fingerpoint at start. and set up the sript to run at boot all the time but not sure the changes will stick with squashfs stuff.
5. I love the Web Market version. It's the only tool which can show all that is available in Android Market independantly of "compatibilities" or not. At least I know such and such app exist. The Market App on your device hide stuff from you and it's hard to know even if this or that is even available. Specially with the "loose" interpretation of compatibility by google.
6. The way you set up Market on your device is a still a big deal. As Sweetypie stated anything you can not see on your device, you won't be able to install from the web. It will grayed out.
7. Apps not compatible may be due to hardware, location, carrier, android version,lack of approved google device id, ....Many of these apps would run just fine even if not 100% if they need something like gps..
8. I'm tending to prefer Arctools since it was sticking on Web Market in fixed state. But gApps was sticking on the web in Unfixed state. I slightly prefer fixed state since it gives more apps.
But this not a very big deal ---- I have used my "unfix rootine" over and over to move back and forth. And you allways may have the need to swtich between the two states
9. Seeing protected apps is a big deal from me. I have used other methods including buying another phone with the sole goal to be able to purchase or downlaod free & paid protected apps. Have also use the Android Virtual Device on my PC. But frankly both are cumbersome.
So changing the fingerprint is so easy. Now I have set up the fingerpingt to the Samsung Galaxy tab. Very easy now to get apps on your Archos even if protected. I do not care the SDE warranty issue.
10. I have to mention some people who were not able to get their device to stick in the Web Market account have reported that it does after changing the fingerprint. I would have to try this since as I said gApps version would only stick for me in unfixed state and Arctools only in fixed state.