Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alcatel One Touch is one of the makers of cheap Android Smartphones such as the Alcatel OT-980 which is sold for only £99 on pre-paid plans in the UK. Alcatel One Touch is a brand of TCL Corporation, a $16.7 Billion valued Chinese consumer electronics company.

Alcatel One Touch's partnership with Archos would enable an easy sharing of data from a low cost Android Smartphone using a ÔÇÿÔÇÖOne Touch ConnectÔÇÖÔÇÖ button to share the 3G data automatically with the Archos tablet over a mobile WiFi hotspot. This may be a one-click process, and the carrier may be able to limit access of that WiFi hotspot only to the Archos tablet through Mac address filtering and not as a totally open or encrypted WiFi hotspot for use with other devices.

The idea is that one affordable subscription plan include the voice and data through the low cost Android smartphone as well as the low cost yet high-end Android tablet. This way, consumers don't need to subscribe to more than one package. I think it can be expected that Alcatel One Touch will present a new range of cheap Android Smartphones with this One Touch Connect mobile hotspot functionality built-in.

Here is a pricing model which I think would make this kind of offer a sure hit:

Pre-paid only, no contract: $299 for the basic 3.5" capacitive Alcatel-OT Smartphone and the latest Archos 7" capacitive tablet, both are on pre-paid and no contracts are needed, pricing for pre-paid should be below $30 per month for something like 300 minutes or unlimited use of voice and 3GB to 5GB of data per month to be used on the Tablet and the Smartphone. The 3GB monthly data hotspot may be open for other devices as well if the carrier wants to allow it. For example $10 to $20 extra per month it could open up the mobile hotspot to any other device and increase monthly limit to something like 10GB per month.

Phone alone on pre-paid no contract should be $149. Tablet alone no contract needed would be $249.

6-month contract, then pre-pay: $249 for the Smartphone+Tablet package, $30/month for unlimited voice/data to use on both devices or more. $50 early termination fee, lowered $5 each month.

12-month contract, then pre-pay: $199 for the Smartphone+Tablet package, $30/month for unlimited voice/data to use on both devices or more. $100 early termination fee, lowered $5 each month.

18-month contract, then pre-pay: $149 for the Smartphone+Tablet package, $30/month for unlimited voice/data to use on both devices or more, $150 early termination fee, lowered $5 each month.

24-month contract, then pre-pay: $99 for the Smartphone+Tablet package, $30/month for unlimited voice/data to use on both devices or more. $200 early termination fee, lowered $5 each month.

What do you think of the idea to use a cheap Smartphone mostly for voice and basic apps and tether it with a larger screen Tablet, use all on one same low cost voice+data plan, and even have this work for pre-paid plans?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax, I'm sort of confused, do you know if this tablet being described is a new device or a current device oriented around tethering to an Alcatel phone?

It sounds like a combo of a basic One Touch and a 7HT (the pricing doesn't make sense for a 70, that's $25 for the phone at current prices) but neither the 70 or the 7HT have 3G components of any kind. 70 can tether, but the 7HT doesn't have Blutooth and can't do that connectivity, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I guess I answered part of my own question:

official PressWIRE release wrote:
The proposition fits with the recently unveiled strategy of telecom operators to offer a single subscription for multiple connected devices by mid 2011. Using the ''One Touch Connect" feature, this bundle lets users share the 3G connection of their smartphone with their ARCHOS internet tablet via the built in WiFi hotspot available in android version 2.2 (Froyo).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think now's the right time. Since I bought my Archos 5IT, my Nokia N97 has been way over specified for what I need to dovetail with my Tablet.

I said pretty much this about a year ago. Given that the multimedia and storage capability of the Archos (32GB SSD) is almost an exact duplication of that of the N97, the phone has the telcom capability, and the Archos has the big screen. The rest is duplication. Including cost duplication.

So what I really need is either, telcom capability built in to the Archos (a la Dell Streak), or a stripped down smartphone with only telcoms, not multimedia capability.

Sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Charbax wrote:
low cost yet high-end Android tablet.

me like the description here :)