It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Firmware 2.1.04 - download (84Mb)
Firmware changes:
Version 2.1.4 - February 1st, 2011

* Applications: fixes force close happening on applications not handling properly SecurityException (e.g. AppMonster and Dolphin)
* Network shares: limit scanning to /24 subnet mask

Previous firmware release threads:
January 27th: Froyo Firmware 2.1.03
December 16th: Froyo Firmware 2.0.71
November 30th: Froyo Firmware 2.0.54
October 21st: Eclair Firmware 1.0.84

Post subject: Re: Firmware 2.1.04
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks for reminding , downloading now,

happy chinese new year to all

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

that's great, wonder if it works with the default browser/flash crashing too.

Hope they looked into the deep sleep/ battery draining issues many people have been noticing recently.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Fixes download problem in dolphin browser.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

blokey wrote:
that's great, wonder if it works with the default browser/flash crashing too.

Hope they looked into the deep sleep/ battery draining issues many people have been noticing recently.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Surprised there isn't a sticky on this thread yet. Have to wait until I get home to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I can confirm that they fixed the downloading in browser crash issues, but i still have issues when watching certain flash enabled sites (like IGN.com) all browsers still crash. I never had an issue with crashes prior to the most recent firmwares, and its not a memory issue on my end as i always have 100+ ram available. Other than that, everything works great now. I never had wifi or battery issues like some people appear to have (my battery easily last two days with heavy usage, my wifi connects in two or three seconds after awakening from deep sleep mode, and no signal drops whatsoever. very happy archos owner..if they can only fix the flash crash, I will be in bliss :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Unfortunately, broken USB Hosts are still broken under 2.1.04 :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

They probably are not concerned about the flash crash since they STILL have not release the official flash plug-in. Until then flash is really not supported by Archos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

HDMI output stopped working for me after this update. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@xzb6np: I guess you're right...but i just don't understand how it was working fine before, not it does not. But again, not a deal breaker for me, I really love my device now, I would never trade this in for an Ipad. besides the Ipad having better apps and a better build, i love the freedom that android gives that the Ipad simply doesn't. Also, i have no USB issues, battery issues, deep sleep etc. that others have..maybe I have a special Archos 101 eh? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yep, browser downloads don't crash anymore (tested with stock and dolphin hd). Thank a lot Archos team :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You know (and this is not in response to anyone's post- just a general observation) even though we have had problems with the 2.1.02 and .03 firmware updates, I have seen no other manufacturer of Android tablet take such an active role in attempting to provide improvements at the rate Archos has. No matter what happens good or bad, this is a HUGE plus for us the users. I work in software and understand how difficult it is to put these things together. QA testing has to be an animal with Android because although the OS has a certain baseline across the board, certain components are different from hardware platform to hardware platform and they must be constructed separately to fit each. Quite the process and headache I can imagine. So again I think once people understand what it takes behind the scenes to put something like this together, they are more thankful at getting so much support ESPECIALLY at $300.00 even if it can be frustrating as a user from time to time.

All that being said, I diverted back to 2.0.71 until the application crashes, like in Dolphin, were hammered out. I download allot and couldn't live with it not working properly. 2.1.04 seems to have resolved that. But I see someone else has said HDMI stopped working. Can others confirm?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I got mine pushed to me OTA. Pretty strange - Archos usually wait a few days before sending it out ota

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

archonoid wrote:
You know (and this is not in response to anyone's post- just a general observation) even though we have had problems with the 2.1.02 and .03 firmware updates, I have seen no other manufacturer of Android tablet take such an active role in attempting to provide improvements at the rate Archos has. No matter what happens good or bad, this is a HUGE plus for us the users. I work in software and understand how difficult it is to put these things together. QA testing has to be an animal with Android because although the OS has a certain baseline across the board, certain components are different from hardware platform to hardware platform and they must be constructed separately to fit each. Quite the process and headache I can imagine. So again I think once people understand what it takes behind the scenes to put something like this together, they are more thankful at getting so much support ESPECIALLY at $300.00 even if it can be frustrating as a user from time to time.

+1

Quote:

All that being said, I diverted back to 2.0.71 until the application crashes, like in Dolphin, were hammered out. I download allot and couldn't live with it not working properly. 2.1.04 seems to have resolved that. But I see someone else has said HDMI stopped working. Can others confirm?

BTW, how do you revert back to an older version?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well then, Flash, HDMI, and USB Host all worked well for me before these 3 recent FW updates, and they all work well now.

Just lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sazfar13 wrote:

BTW, how do you revert back to an older version?

You don't revert BACK to an older version, you go forward to an older version. Just install the older version "over" the later version.

I don't say this to be picky - there really is no "rolling back" like you might do in Windows. Your older version has been overwritten. To re-install a previous version you have to download it and install it manually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
I got mine pushed to me OTA. Pretty strange - Archos usually wait a few days before sending it out ota

Yes I got mine Via OTA as well, I have gone from 2.0.71 to 2.1.04 upto now everything is running well, in fact everything seems smoother faster, just feels right. Download went with out a hitch, just plugged in power and away it went, it rebooted a few times, it indexed photos again, then finished and working smooth. only two things I have noticed.

1) I am now getting all my emails re delivered back to my inbox, all coming in as unread, even though I had already opened them, or deleted them prior to this update. (up to 50 so far and still coming)

2) Free ram prior to update was normally 35/45mb now 55/65mb.

Also I left power connected to my A70 after the update and I can confirm green power light still flashes when fully charged.

I am holding off a reset (re swap) looks like I do not need it!! trying to balance need against 3 hours of work to get it all back together again apks layout etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i noticed that a lot of you usually state that you only have about 35-50 mb of free ram when using the Archos. I have launcherpro, wall street journal, voice search, system monitor, auto memory manager and a few widgets running and i usually have 100 mbs free. When i run any of the web browsers, and gmail, I then drop to about 80 mb, but never below 50....I am assuming that this may be because i have auto memory manager set on aggressive?? My archos runs smooth as butter, battery last about 2 days before I need a recharge etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

+1 for archos. Thanks for the frequent updates. My 101 is the first time I've really paid any attention to this company, and I like what I see so far.