Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm 

We saw a number of approaches to install google market on gen 8 Archos, each usually improving on the previous. So for folks who want to start with one of the top contenders rather than whatever version they run across first, let's keep track.

At the time I write this, I think the gAppsInstaller approach is pretty much the best. I mean the v5-stable (sometimes called v5-final) Froyo approach documented on xdadevelopers forum by kenyu73 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=867303 .

Quote:
*** Archos Devices Only ***

This includes only the Market, Calendar, Talk, GenieWidget and "required gSync" files. Any apps that are in the Froyo Market are NOT included. Honestly, this is better as it makes a smaller appInstaller package and its more compatible.

You can download the following from the Market -- Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps(Navigation)

SUMMARY
v5-Stable -- (recommended!)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
WARNING: If you've installed this or other gApps installers, you may have to RESET to successfully install gAppInstaller.

Note: You may get an error when you first open the Market, ignore the error. It may also take a few minutes before the Market updates from 2.09 to the current version.
-Download - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-in ... loads/list
-Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
-Use 'Files' app to locate gAppsInstaller, then execute/install it
-Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
-REBOOT!!
-Sign into Market (Google Account Login)
-Follow the Market FIX instructions below

MARKET FIX:
This will get you most missing apps from the market, except some "protect market apps" like NYTimes.
-Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
-Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')
-REBOOT again

Market Fix video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-nySib ... _embedded#!

If you do this correctly you will find most missing apps like 'Copilot Live USA' in the Market. However, some apps require certain features (like a GPS or Cell chip) and will not show up in the Market. Basically, if you search for application "MyGPS" and "MyGPS" is coded to REQUIRE a GPS chip, then the Android market will NOT show this app in the Market for our Archos Device because is lacks a GPS chip.

MARKET LANGUAGE FIX (unverified):
Once you install the Market, it will probably be in English only. You may be able to fix this by putting your device into English via Settings menu, then put the device back into whatever other language you require.

RESET DEVICE:
Follow these instructions to reset your Archos Gen8: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=42437&start=0

Comments:
-You only need to download the v5 apk, not the zips.
-You should do the "market fix" procedure twice or could miss a few apps
-The final mention of reset device isn't a final step but rather a footnote of how you do it first (if needed). I just used "reset android" under settings, although it does clobber some customizations that you may have to rebuild.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Viking, do you personally recommend installing the v5 final hack if someone has already installed a previous version? (v4 in my case).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 pm 

I can't remember all the reasons some of us v4 folks reluctantly felt obligated to upgrade to v5. But one thing was for new version of market - do you have version 2.2.11 if you go into settings/applications/app mgt/market?

There is another reason to do a settings/repair/android reset with the new archos firmware, which is supposed to then be able to do more memory swaps to relieve the famous bottleneck. Now that allenP's "newbie tips" sticky thread explains how to use appmonster to backup and restore apps, maybe a rebuild is even in my near future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have Market version 1.82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I find ArcTools works really well. You can get it from the AppsLib Market.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

biggest problem I have with gAppsInstaller_v5-final.apk is the fact that apps I need don't appear even after doing the Market Fix as described above.

Apps that will not appear in Market even after doing hack multiple times:
Google Maps
Google Voice
Swiftkey
Zeam

If I can't get these apps, the v5-final hack is useless to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I took the plunge and reset my device, installed the v5 final, performed the market fix (a couple of times) and everything worked flawlessly except for one thing. I had 5gb of music, 20 gb of pictures and 80 gb of videos before resetting and after resetting all that was left was the music and pictures (the videos were gone). Not a major deal but weird nonetheless.

Last edited by axdavies on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Viking: Thanks for posting this thread (yet again). It made my reformat yesterday SUPER SIMPLE. Thanks, again!!

Chinmas: I'm (still) having the problem of getting Maps/Navigation from the new Market but I just dowloaded the zip file from above to get it. You might want to do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The same for me, Zeam not present after applying marketplace fix on a freshly updated firmware v2.1.2. Maybe the yesterday firmware update breaks the marketplace fix?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

usersky007 wrote:
The same for me, Zeam not present after applying marketplace fix on a freshly updated firmware v2.1.2. Maybe the yesterday firmware update breaks the marketplace fix?

Try looking for it @ 4shared.com

Pretty sure the last update (it's not supported now) was 2.8.7.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm 

chinmas wrote:
Apps that will not appear in Market even after doing hack multiple times:
Google Maps
Google Voice
Swiftkey
Zeam

I just checked and I could find all these. Dunno what to say, but maybe over some time or reboots...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Viking: Can you find Kayak (the travel app) on the Market?

I get 9 others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm 

I do find kayak on my google market 2.2.11. Furthermore, on appslib I get kayak, google voice, and swiftkey. Google maps used to be on appslib, but it was backlevel and maybe they removed it.

I must admit that yesterday I couldn't find voice search, but did another market fix and then found it. Maybe I just overlooked it, or maybe there are temporary dropouts. I saw some thread where someone described a way of half-doing the market fix to find some stuff, then finishing the market fix to find the rest, but I didn't understand it.

Edit=> the search within google market is quite poor, and may bury the thing you are looking for many pages down. This doesn't make much sense, because it can put weirdly named stuff ahead of what you typed in. Also the app names seem to change at times, like the prefix google appearing or disappearing, or zeam vs zeam launcher. And if they are on pages lower down, the list will appear to end... then get longer if you wait for it to load.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Last night I couldn't see Google Maps on the Market. Fixed it by uninstalling the market updates and then hitting the 'clear data button'.

I used Arctools to install the market.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

viking wrote:
I do find kayak on my google market 2.2.11. Furthermore, on appslib I get kayak, google voice, and swiftkey. Google maps used to be on appslib, but it was backlevel and maybe they removed it.

I must admit that yesterday I couldn't find voice search, but did another market fix and then found it. Maybe I just overlooked it, or maybe there are temporary dropouts. I saw some thread where someone described a way of half-doing the market fix to find some stuff, then finishing the market fix to find the rest, but I didn't understand it.

Edit=> the search within google market is quite poor, and may bury the thing you are looking for many pages down. This doesn't make much sense, because it can put weirdly named stuff ahead of what you typed in. Also the app names seem to change at times, like the prefix google appearing or disappearing, or zeam vs zeam launcher. And if they are on pages lower down, the list will appear to end... then get longer if you wait for it to load.

Ahhhh, yes, Appslib...the ugly stepchild. :lol: I forgot.

As for "the search within google market is quite poor..." It's almost inexcusable. It comes from Google, the Internet search giant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

What should I do if when i follow the steps listed above, when i boot my device i get a location agreement prompt and then the market crashes and wont open?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is a great thread. Just a thought, I'd recommend de-stickying the gapps post by m4rk3t.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can someone please post the download link for latest gApp4Archos? I installed gApp4Archos2 couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

skumar wrote:
can someone please post the download link for latest gApp4Archos? I installed gApp4Archos2 couple of months ago.

Look @ the first post of this thread. Click on the Google Code link.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 am 

skumar wrote:

The original reason for this thread was to avoid blind use of the old gApp4Archos approach by new users. People were being lured in by an old sticky thread about it which I have unstickied, although it can still be found. It was a wonderful help in it's time (and could be in the future), but I think xda (and possibly arctools) has explicitly evolved to a higher level.

It would be fair for someone to present an informed argument that gApp4 is somehow among the best. Or it would be fair for you to stick with it to avoid transition involving an android reset. But for now I think it is widely agreed that the kenyu73 xda approach saves problems that keep popping up from gApp4 users in this forum.