Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As I wrote in the "2.1.08 report bugs" thread, I noticed my first problem with my 16GB 101 today. 6-7 GB of video files (mostly tv-shows) disappeared from internal storage, leaving just the empty folders behind.

I can't see that I did anything wrong (followed the instructions on how to connect/disconnect to/from the computer aso), so I have no idea as to why, and how to keep it from happening again.
This is the first instance of this happening since I got the device a couple of weeks ago, and I have been adding and deleting files on the device since then with no problems up until now.

the 101 only deleted the videos (but strangely enough not the sample vids from the folder "videos" that I have not yet gotten rid of), from a folder named TV-Movies that I filled with just that (tv-shows and a few movies). It left my comics, pdf's and music (mp3) files untouched. However the music player can no longer "see" my music, I have to use "Files" to find and play them, as it says "Albums = 0" and "Artists = 0" when I start the music player. This seems to have happened at the same time (and was the first thing that alerted me that something had changed).

I added a couple of new apps today (Docs to go, and a odt reader), and moved some apps to internal storage, but I don't know if that is important at all.

Edit: I see now that all the pictures in my "Pictures" folder was deleted as well.

So my question is: is there any way to prevent this from happening?
I've been searching this forum, but the threads I've found seems to be about files being deleted from SD-card, and not from internal memory. Either way I've downloaded "nomedia manager app" and so far I haven't lost any more files, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Bonus question to those of you who have experience with this problem: where do the ".nomedia" files have to be placed? Inside every folder containing media?, in the root folder only?

Also, when I launch the video app, the missing files are still showing up in "all videos" and "recently played" menus, but they are clearly not on the 101 (no thumb image, can not play, or delete the videos). Is there any way to delete these "shortcuts" from the "recently played" list, as it is getting cluttered with files that are not actually on the 101 anymore. I've tried to clear data and force stop the video app, but that did not do anything.

Another irritation is that the 101 seems to keep on re-creating the folders the missing video files was stored in. I've tried deleting the empty folders (both by long-pressing and choosing "delete", and by connecting to my computer and deleting the folders from there), but they just seem to re-appear after a while. Could this be related to the issue above (missing files still showing up on the "all videos/recently played" list)? I'm pretty new to android, but could the Video Player be making the 101 re-create the deleted folders as it still registers the deleted videos as "being there", and how could I stop this from happening?

The new video-files that I have added since I lost the first ones does not seem to be registered by the Video Player app, they are nowhere to be found in the "all videos" or "newly added" lists, but that would make sense seeing as I added ".nomedia" files to the folders, right?

Also why does the music player not register the mp3's anymore (they are there, I can play them when selecting them through "files")?

Rune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, don't everyone jump in at once :)

A small update:
I used my girlfriends laptop to transfer a handful of pdf-books last night, and after disconnecting from the computer (by first "safely removing" the 101 on the computer, then unmounting on the 101 itself). I browsed the files (videos and pictures) and everything was still there. But when I tried to start the Dolphin Browser (by touching the "shortcut" on the home-screen) it did not start, and the message "can not find application" appears on the screen. I could not find the icon for the app among my apps neither, but when going to Settings - Apps - Manage Apps, I was able to uninstall and reinstalled it, and now it works again (but all my bookmarks are gone :()

I'll try to transfer a few files again today, and see if this happens again (loosing files, or apps missing).

Rune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had this happen with a couple games. I restarted the device, killed all running processes, including the activity launcher system process and they reappeared. This happened in one other instance as well. When i placed the 16gb sd card from my phone into the device, they reappeared when i removed it. So far I haven't had any video files do it and nothing has been permanent.

As a side note I don't disconnect my Archos from my computer untill after the library finishes updating.