Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had absolutley no problems with the OTA Update on my Archos 70. Everything runs fine, even after a reset of the device to get the 64mb swap everything is still working. Also installed the Market again, no problems there.

I must say the update was really good, it feels like the standard browser is faster now. At all a very good work in my opinion and i am very happy with my archos.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

OTA update worked on my A70, however, it does require that you use the DC adapter to update.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
xbs wrote:
absolutnick wrote:
What are the advantages of ext3 ? Should i do it? Btw congratz archos! Good job!

>4GB file support
Not windows compatible

Actually YES Windows compatible, if you install an ext driver in Windows:

Not Win 7
http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

Yes Win 7:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Thanks for posting that. I was looking for that awhile back but didn't get the right one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

lhanson wrote:

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with a OTA firmware update?

NZ:

Is this to be expected for an OTA, if not, what would you guess may have happened?

Probably that your wifi timed out during the download, so now you have a half baked Firmware. I never update firmware over wifi for this very reason, cable will always be more stable, but as has been said, download to PC, reboot with power button + volume key down then follow the instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

fabp1306 wrote:
nz wrote:
after you install this firmware, 32MB of swap will be used. If you decide to reformat, some of the storage space in the NAND flash get reorganized and 64MB of swap will be used...

On a A70H where will the swap be located (HDD or internal system flash (btw is it 512MB?))?
On a A70S where will the swap be located (Internal flash or MicroSD)?
I am concerned about using flash memory as swap because of write wear with flash.
Thanks.

nz, could you please get back to us on this?
Writting over and over on a NAND flash is know to be a problem and will potentially leave the NAND non usable.
Is the swap only going to be used as a last resort thing when memory cannot be freed up hence avoiding a crash?
Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

we need spaces for apps.264MB is really not enough. :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I think that the update is downloaded and after that validated and only then installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm updating OTA right now. Hoping it fixes some of the homescreen lag when it's stock. If not, not sure how much longer Iw ill hold onto this device. Might ditch it for a Xoom if they don't make this a bunch faster.

Edit: So far so good. Seems speedy now. If they fixed the battery drain issue overnight then I think I can live with the rest. I don't seem to have the Wifi problem that others have, my connection never drops. Streaming tv right now with the Slingplayer and it's working beautifully.

Last edited by ruinah on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
Barron22 wrote:
anybody else have issuing with the wifi since updating i havent been able to hold a connection for more than a minute

Try re-installing it, while you're in the mood. Sometimes an install isn't perfect.

I have the same problem, had it also on every previous firmware. Wifi doesn't work after a while...

Flash by the way works great and when my wifi works I do have the feeling internet pages load faster (i have an wifi n router).

If only archos could fix my wifi connection problem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jerry101 wrote:
we need spaces for apps.264MB is really not enough. :cry: :cry:

+1

I find myself holding back on purchasing apps because I've run out of space and don't want to remove stuff that I use on a daily basis :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ruinah wrote:
I'm updating OTA right now. Hoping it fixes some of the homescreen lag when it's stock. If not, not sure how much longer Iw ill hold onto this device. Might ditch it for a Xoom if they don't make this a bunch faster.

Are you using a task killer? I was using auto memory manager and I found out that Auto Memory Manager was continuously killing the home screen, so each time that I pressed the home key it would reload all my gadgets, making it slow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

sweetypie wrote:
"USB keyboard: fix external directional keys layout when rotating the device"

I had encountered this too. Using my external BT keyboard (iGo Stowaway), with the A101 in landscape mode, the up and down arrows moved left and right, while the laft and right arrows moved up and down - very confusing.

I was excited to try this fix, but, of course, was unable to because of the dismal performance of the Archos with regard to any kind of Bluetooth scanning.

I've just tried to see if this fix works as I was having the same issue with the messed up directional keys working on my RII mini bluetooth keyboard and it's working great now. No issues connecting either.

I hope you can find a solution to your bluetooth scanning issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Antitoon wrote:
ruinah wrote:

Are you using a task killer? I was using auto memory manager and I found out that Auto Memory Manager was continuously killing the home screen, so each time that I pressed the home key it would reload all my gadgets, making it slow.

no, never used a task killer. My Archos is stock, no replaced launcher. I don't really want to deal with a different one. I think the stock one should work and should be smooth. It's still laggy at times (even in overdrive).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ruinah wrote:
Antitoon wrote:
ruinah wrote:

no, never used a task killer. My Archos is stock, no replaced launcher. I don't really want to deal with a different one. I think the stock one should work and should be smooth. It's still laggy at times (even in overdrive).

Yep, stock is still laggy for me.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Yep, stock is still laggy for me.

Allen

anyone have good experience with replacement launchers?

what are some of the recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Mine was not getting prompted for the OTA update, like the last 2 updates. I ended up downloading it manually from the archos website and reformating my device and installing the new firmware (so I can get the 64MB swap). Seems to be running nice and smooth. Have not had it lock up on me yet.
It still will not let me sync my Facebook contacts, I have not been able to sync Facebook contacts since Eclair. The rest of the Facebook app works great.
I also installed Zeam launcher back on it. I really enjoy Zeam, it's fast and has a nice dock. Still has the issue where it home screen is not always centered, but a quick swipe left or right or setting default home screen to 1 seems to fix that still.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Good news!!!

With FW 2.1.02 SketchBook Mobile (SBM) now works. I think it's working because Archos added the Android Id as nz said they would. Before SBM never got to the Google Terms accept requestor. SBM now comes up clean.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, when it says reset or full device reformat, I did the full reinitialization and all I'm seeing is 32MB swap, did I do something wrong here?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Whats the advantage of doing a 64MB swap?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OTA upgrade to 2.1.02 did not work on my Archos 70. Remains in boot logo screen after upgrade, resets itself over and over.

Reset/reformatted and did a rescue install via image transferred over usb. Still nogo.

Now I'm back to 2.0.71 :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next