Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Cool! =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't think I understand this
Memory: enable 32MB swap by default and increase it to 64MB after Android reset or full device reformat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
willowave wrote:
I was wondering how to install that update? I did see the update there, but no instructions for the gen 8s...I guess all I really need to know is where to put the firmware once I download it?

Download to PC
Switch off Archos
Turn on Archos by pressing Power button, while holding Volume down button, and keep it held down until you see a white screen.
(Possibly) Recovery system
Update firmware

Follow instructions.
Have a USB cable handy, and power cable.

Thanks so much for the reply :) I kind of thought that was how to do it, but I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of installing it and have a unexpected question.

Did you ever get your UrukDroid install working? If you didn't you aren't missing anything. I'm sure it will improve and I'm glad I did it, but it's too slow. It benchmarks great, around 1900, but every time I opened an app or tried to switch screens it just hung there for a few seconds. It got irritating. So I just made sure the samba works and I'm happy with stock for now as long as I can get to my network shares.
It looks as tho he's moving pretty quickly along with it tho. I'm sure it will improve and be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
willowave wrote:
I was wondering how to install that update? I did see the update there, but no instructions for the gen 8s...I guess all I really need to know is where to put the firmware once I download it?

Download to PC
Switch off Archos
Turn on Archos by pressing Power button, while holding Volume down button, and keep it held down until you see a white screen.
Update firmware

Follow instructions.

Thanks so much for the reply :) I kind of thought that was how to do it, but I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of installing it and have a unexpected question.

Did you ever get your UrukDroid install working? If you didn't you aren't missing anything. I'm sure it will improve and I'm glad I did it, but it's too slow. It benchmarks great, around 1900, but every time I opened an app or tried to switch screens it just hung there for a few seconds. It got irritating. So I just made sure the samba works and I'm happy with stock for now as long as I can get to my network shares.
It looks as tho he's moving pretty quickly along with it tho. I'm sure it will improve and be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I hope they've fixed the bug that makes the Archos crash while sleeping. That's the one thing that's kept me from using it more is the unpredictable battery life and ability to wake up. I suppose it's too soon to tell so early, but I'll test this as soon as I get the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

willowave wrote:
sweetypie wrote:
willowave wrote:

Download to PC
Switch off Archos
Update firmware

Follow instructions.

Don't mention it.
Don't mention it.

I gave up on Uruk. I decided I don't need a rooted Archos A101 in the way I first needed a rooted A5IT. The things I need to work, either work now, or won't be made to work (properly) by rooting. I'm talking about the Bluetooth "scanning" function. Everything else works fine. I don't need masses of apps, so don't need the 2nd partition. So I'm ok for now.

But this is off topic, so we can discuss it elsewhere later.

There are several ways of installing a firmware update, and they are described on the Archos website, although I just checked, and, on the download page, the instructions only go as far as the A5IT, not Gen 8, for some reason, but the method's the same.

The way I gave you is sound. I only mentioned (possibly) to "Recovery system" because I have the SDE installed. Without that you may go straight to the "Update firmware", and other options.

Last edited by sweetypie on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There is a new option in the "Power Management" menu in the settings. I think it enables the "deep sleep" mode whenever you press the power button. Might be handy for some!

EDIT : I must add that this new firmware looks a lot more smoother for me!!!

Last edited by jackojack on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This is GREAT NEWS! =D>

Has anybody checked if the mouse behaviour has been fixed? The doubleclick issue I mean (although some might regard this as a feature). This is the only serious bug left I can think of.

@locri: this problem is related to the gApps. Removing them will fix that. Try going into Settings >> Location and disable "Use wireless networks". It fixed the problem without removing the gApps for me and some other people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Antitoon wrote:
Has anybody checked if the mouse behaviour has been fixed? The doubleclick issue I mean (although some might regard this as a feature). This is the only serious bug left I can think of.

Still the same. I understand it's an Android thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

abritton76 wrote:
has anyone got the VPN working now? I can connect to it but then the browser becomes dead. Would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who has it working.

PPTP and L2TP works

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

great !

Last edited by ra7im on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

anybody else have issuing with the wifi since updating i havent been able to hold a connection for more than a minute

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did an OTA firmware update on my A70. The 2.1.02 firmware downloaded and installed successfully and then went to reboot, the problem is it has been stuck on the "Archos Enertainment Your Way" screen for 45 minutes.

Is this normal, if not what would you suggest?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Barron22 wrote:
anybody else have issuing with the wifi since updating i havent been able to hold a connection for more than a minute

Try re-installing it, while you're in the mood. Sometimes an install isn't perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

lhanson wrote:
I did an OTA firmware update on my A70. The 2.1.02 firmware downloaded and installed successfully and then went to reboot, the problem is it has been stuck on the "Archos Enertainment Your Way" screen for 45 minutes.

No, not normal. Why not download it onto your PC, then boot into Recovery mode - Press power on, while holding the Vol down button until you get a white screen. Update firmware, follow the instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

MarcusMarcus wrote:
fabp1306 wrote:
sweetypie wrote:
@willowave

I think what fabp1306 is trying to say is that the update is not yet available "over the air" directly to the Archos yet. You need to download it from the link, and run it.

No, it is available on Archos website here:
http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... g=en&#firm

That's what sweetypie was saying. sweetypie meant it is not available to the archos devices directly with "over the air" update. You can go to that site and manually download and install it.

Updating over the air as we speak, er, type.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I updated both my 70 and 101 through the device itself and it went smoothly. Great to see firmware updates coming on a regular basis. So far everything is working well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Gerke wrote:
czesiu wrote:
nz, any comments about flash? ;)

much better, all smooth now

Looks the same to me, I see no improvement at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I see it mentions Google VoiceSearch is fixed but where do I get it?

Can't find in the market or applibs?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sweetypie wrote:
lhanson wrote:

No, not normal. Why not download it onto your PC, then boot into Recovery mode - Press power on, while holding the Vol down button until you get a white screen. Update firmware, follow the instructions.

After 60 minutes of waiting I long pressed the power button to reboot it. This time it seems okay, I'm still concerned though.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with a OTA firmware update?

NZ:

Is this to be expected for an OTA, if not, what would you guess may have happened?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next