Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

m_writer wrote:
There is a lot of discussion about WiFi-N and I think a short explanation of the technology is needed here:

Having WiFi-N does NOT mean that you have a radio (hardware) which is much better than WiFi-G. The issues are this:

1. A bunch of "minor" transmission changes that increase speed a little at the top end but actually help maximize transmission at lower speeds.
2. 20 MHz v. 40 MHz bandwidth which doubles the bandwidth (to about 150 Mb/sec).
3. Added RADIO CIRCUITRY which effectively give 2 radios (for 300 Mb/sec) or even 3 radios (for 450 Mb/sec).
4. 5 GHz radio band.

Any "WiFi-N" can be certified, even if it only has improvement "1 and 2" above. It does NOT have to have any of the rest of the changes ("3 or 4").

So you have to know the capabilities in the circuitry.

Lastly, "2" is going to be almost completely useless for many people because if the router detects *any* 20 MHz bandwidth activity on the 2.4 GHz band, the WiFi-N rules state that the WHOLE ROUTER will fall back to 20 GHz bandwidth.

So if it detects something transmitting 20 MHz in your neighbour's house, then it will fall back. Same if you have an old 2.4 GHz telephone, or someone is using 2.4 GHz outside for a Radio Control device. Moreover, if someone else's router falls back to 20 GHz, then *your* router could detect that and that would cause it to fall back too. So you could have a cascade effect of routers falling back, covering a neighbourhood.

If you live in or near a condominium or apartment building I doubt if you will ever get to use 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz for maybe the next 10 years.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation - question is, what is the Archos hardware actually capable of? I own a 70IT. It has never *reported* a connection speed in excess of 54Mbps, even at a reported N connection (my router reports it as such).

2 other devices I own connect at the full 300Mbps allowed by my DLink router.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another problem that seems related to a WiFi glitch holding up other processes.

USB irregularities when WiFi is on...?

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=45006

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can confirm that by my 43 int. the deep sleep is broken; it was Ok with Firmware 2.071.

After install the 2.1.03 and let my Archos to deep sleep, it never wakes up again. Long press from power button switch it off and on again, reboot and works ok again.
I make one new install by clean all information, havenÔÇÖt help.
The only additional that is broken to is the issue by download using Dolphin-mini browser, crash all the time if you need to download something. With the stock browser, works ok.
I will try to downgrade to the old Firmware.
Ciao.
Ferenc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

scottmcp432 wrote:
Do you power down your unit after plugging in to charge? In my experience, when I did this, my led charging indicator never blinked either but if I leave the device on or enable "deep sleep" the light DOES blink when charging is complete.
I used to only charge when device ist powered down, seems charging goes faster then. But i will try it next time with device powered on or in deep sleep mode. Thanks for the hint.
EDIT: You're right, when i charge the device without power off, the light blinks when 100% are reached..

viking wrote:
I noticed only one minor quirk with the last 2 releases, and that is the wifi often won't come on without a reboot. Switching it on within settings just gives the word error. It seems to occasionally happen after fresh boots now, but is more the rule when waking up from sleeps.
Looks the same to me. The problems i had with permanent wifi disconnects with 2.0.71 are gone now, but often after powering up i have to reset wifi connection with 2.1.03

Last edited by druelf on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Also having the power issues after the upgrade.
Next morning after FW update on 100% charge: Device dead as a doorknob.
Night 2: Battery level dropped 20%ish while browsing approx. 40 minutes (dropped to 80%ish)
Night 3: Battery level dropped 20%ish while browsing approx. 40 minutes (dropped to 60%ish)
Night 4: Device dead as a doorknob.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:22 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Version 2.1.4 released - February 1st, 2011

Firmware changes

Applications: fixes force close happening on applications not handling properly SecurityException (e.g. AppMonster and Dolphin)
Network shares: limit scanning to /24 subnet mask

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another firmware already. Man, Archos is really on the ball last few days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

MarcusMarcus wrote:
Another firmware already. Man, Archos is really on the ball last few days.

I just installed the 2.1.03 and now I see this. *faintz* I guess will wait for awhile before I install the 2.1.04. -___-""" Who knows 2.1.05 is already in the oven baking....hmm...we getting gingerbread. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had 03 just for a few seconds and then 04 was pushed already, keyboard works now :)

But 04 forced me to do a hard reset via power button plus volume min as the device kept rebooting. Now my archos is clean and fine, and fast!, again, so lets install google aps again:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:47 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

spawn wrote:
Version 2.1.4 released - February 1st, 2011

Firmware changes

Applications: fixes force close happening on applications not handling properly SecurityException (e.g. AppMonster and Dolphin)
Network shares: limit scanning to /24 subnet mask

That is AWESOME. Whoever said that Archos doesn't listen to their customers is crazy!! The speed with which they release firmware updates to fix these glitches is AMAZING!!!

Acer A100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I really do applaud Archos for releasing these updates so quickly. I mean how many of the bigger known companies release updates so fast. I mean really, there are some people that own tablets from other companies with issues that haven't been resolved in months. So give credit where credit is due. So, they fixed the force close issues with the dolphin browser when downloading, but not with playing flash vids?? maybe its just me, but I never had issues playing flash vids from sites like ign.com, now it force closes EVERY time....hopefully this can be fixed soon. I have tried all the versions of flashed relased, I have over 115mb available ram, and still no dice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The router switching is a big reason I run my N band on 5MGhz, there are enough other wireless in the area that I often see four or five other devices. Too bad they didn't put in a 5Ghz radio on these devices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can discuss the new 2.1.04 firmware in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=47588

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This new firmware update says 2.1.03 while the one on the Archos support shows 2.1.08
Are these both the same with only the error of spelling mistake, or are they totally different.

I've just purchased an Archos 43 . Should i update it using the link provided here or should i do the auto update??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

rawat89 wrote:
This new firmware update says 2.1.03 while the one on the Archos support shows 2.1.08
Are these both the same with only the error of spelling mistake, or are they totally different.

I've just purchased an Archos 43 . Should i update it using the link provided here or should i do the auto update??

Try autoupdate first from settings ->about device ->firmware update

Acer A100

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27