Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Aloha JL,

Welcome to our forum :)

I stopped DLing to my Archos a long time ago because I have more than one Archos tablet. I always DL via Firefox in Windows. If the DroidX file DLs as a .zip rename it to .apk.

I don't know about receiving it as an email attachment. Since I don't do that for my Archos tablets.

Anyone?

Allen

Like you Allen, I always download using Firefox in Windows (except for yesterday and today, when I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop - don't ask. Ok, ask. With all the Gen 8 "rooting" dialogue going on, I thought I'd finally install Linux somewhere, and get my old Unix books out of the loft).

I do remember that, about 12 months ago on the A5IT, when I tried to download an apk using the stock Archos browser, it downloaded and installed it immediately. I seem to remember I had to install another browser on the Archos to download apks successfully (or change a setting in Astro, or Appmonster to allow ALL files to be downloaded).

Anyhoo, if the IE download ends up with a file with a zip suffix, first make sure you have "hide file extensions for known filetypes" box unticked in Folder Options in Windows Explorer. Then you'll see if the .zip has been added to the .apk, or substituted for it, because you'll see the whole filename.

If it's been added, delete it. If it's been substituted rename it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Meant to thank you first allen for an exellent guide.

Ill just do a transfer from pc as suggested. Geeeking out is in my blood, but Really would have hoped for a more mature environment.

Experiencing some typing lag here in archoas browser

Geek on!

Posted from archos 70 8gb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I really want to thank Allen for this great thread.. i upgrade, install the market and u tube is working great!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Again, y'all are very welcome.

Remember, I built on the efforts of others on our forum and XDA-Developers. To them we should all give thanks... =D>

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've had luck doing file downloads directly to the device using Xscope browser download option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thank you Allen for all the info! I got my New 101 from NY and it was worth the trip into NY! No problems with sound or hardware. I setup everything, am on the newest froyo, got flash working fine, downloaded everything without any problems. I had to do the market fix twice before the apps like adw launcher and copilot finally showed up in the market.

MY PROBLEM is with Tango and Fring! I can't install Tango, it says unknown error 17 everytime and I rebooted too. Everytime when I try to do a video test call on Fring, it force closes!! I can't do any video calling with anyone. Any ideas? Can someone test both?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Aloha JL,

Welcome to our forum :)

I stopped DLing to my Archos a long time ago because I have more than one Archos tablet. I always DL via Firefox in Windows. If the DroidX file DLs as a .zip rename it to .apk.

I don't know about receiving it as an email attachment. Since I don't do that for my Archos tablets.

Anyone?

Allen

emailing apks in gmail works great with my 101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It appears that full video calling does not work with anything, including fring. If you'll do some research you'll find hacks to get it to work, but nothing right out of the box as Archos promised. Since I don't really need it right now, I'm waiting for a clean fix, preferably from Archos.

Bye. 8)

CandyGirlNJ wrote:
Thank you Allen for all the info! I got my New 101 from NY and it was worth the trip into NY! No problems with sound or hardware. I setup everything, am on the newest froyo, got flash working fine, downloaded everything without any problems. I had to do the market fix twice before the apps like adw launcher and copilot finally showed up in the market.

MY PROBLEM is with Tango and Fring! I can't install Tango, it says unknown error 17 everytime and I rebooted too. Everytime when I try to do a video test call on Fring, it force closes!! I can't do any video calling with anyone. Any ideas? Can someone test both?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Again, y'all are very welcome.

Remember, I built on the efforts of others on our forum and XDA-Developers. To them we should all give thanks... =D>

Allen

Well, then, thank you to all those on the forum that have contributed, but especially to Allen for compiling the info into one nice, neat list.

In my opinion, easy access to information has been the best thing that's come out of the invention of the internet. Maybe a little "too much" sometimes, but I wouldn't give it back if I could help it. :badgrin:

By the way, Allen, I decided on the IMP1000 charger. While reading the reviews for it and the IMP880, I decided it was worth the extra $20 to have the slightly recessed "On" button to keep it from turning on accidentally (with the added benefit of the longer charge, of course).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Sandra,

I hope you like the IMP1000. I like mine a lot. Sometimes I also use it to charge around the house instead of plugging into mains. With my ScotteVest Tropical Jacket/Vest it's easy to carry my other gadgets.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
I posted this in the A101 forum Newbie Tip topic. I number of people liked it and viking suggested I post it here as a sticky. My setup may apply to the other Gen8s. I don't have a 28, 32 or 43 so I don't know for sure.

5. Install Flash Plugin
Until Archos can release its Adobe certified Flash Plugin the most compatible Flash Plugin I know is the one for the Droid X. You can DL this: Here.

Again I DLed this to my tPC in the Archos/Gen8/Flash/DroidX/ folder.
Copy this to your A101 and using Files install it

Allen

How? There is nothing in there that can be installed. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AndyC812 wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:
I posted this in the A101 forum Newbie Tip topic. I number of people liked it and viking suggested I post it here as a sticky. My setup may apply to the other Gen8s. I don't have a 28, 32 or 43 so I don't know for sure.

5. Install Flash Plugin
Until Archos can release its Adobe certified Flash Plugin the most compatible Flash Plugin I know is the one for the Droid X. You can DL this: Here.

Again I DLed this to my tPC in the Archos/Gen8/Flash/DroidX/ folder.
Copy this to your A101 and using Files install it

Allen

How? There is nothing in there that can be installed. What am I missing?

Andy if you are in google chrome do a right click over the (here) link and save it in ur pc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I found the solution in the rest of the thread, just needed to change the file extension from zip to apk. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just passing by to thank Allen for all the help...

everything is working perfectly, even the Flash plugin (!!!!!!)... had a little problem with the download of the "com.adobe.flashplayer-1", but now is ok...

despite some reports around here, Youtube (not the app!) is working just fine, even with the full screen on, with no interruption and everything...

now i can finally see xvideos.com with my A70... :) :)

for those who are having the same problem (i had) with the download of "com.adobe.flashplayer-1" that Allen posted: you have to right click the link and "save file as", but before save it, you have to change the type of the file and dont forget the ".apk" after the name... if you dont change it, will be saved as .zip or .rar file type and you wont be able to install it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Typing tips for Newbies...

Long press of some keys bring up extra functions/characters.

Certain letter keys bring up foreign characters.
?123 brings up Android keyboard settings and input method.
Long press Caps lock is same as double tap.
Long press fullstop brings up common symbols.

In number mode...
Long press 1 or 2 brings up fractions.
Long press ( ) brings up other bracket symbols.
Long press Alt is same as double tap.
Long press ! shows inverted !
Long press " shows other types
Long press ? shows inverted ?
Long press go looks like it is a substitute for D-pad centre press.... Any ideas anyone?? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am expecting my Archos 70 in a few days, so I have been reading this forum in preparation. But I have do have one question (at least for now :o ). In the Allen's set instructions 2. Update to FW (FirmWare) 2.0.71 it does not mention getting rid of the previous firmware that will come preloaded on my new device. Do I have to do that, or can I just follow the directions given in Allen's instructions and everything will work out fine??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Installing new FW just overwrites old FW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wow sweetypie
You have an admirable post amount :D So I imagine you must know quite a bit about these machines. My further question is....it sounds like you meant that I could just download the new firmware over the older one, and the older one will not interfere with the set up. Am I correct in my understanding?
My only other experience with android is with my samsung Vibrant, so I have a lot to learn.
Can anybody answer my question above?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

KNell8084 wrote:
wow sweetypie
You have an admirable post amount :D So I imagine you must know quite a bit about these machines. My further question is....it sounds like you meant that I could just download the new firmware over the older one, and the older one will not interfere with the set up. Am I correct in my understanding?
My only other experience with android is with my samsung Vibrant, so I have a lot to learn.
Can anybody answer my question above?

If you read my OP then you are downloading it to your tPC and it never overwrites the existing FW file because you have a separate folder for each FW.

If you are downloading the FW to your Archos, then someone else can answer because I don't recommend or support that option.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

make sure you download the new firmware on your pc and transfer it to your A70.
Downloading it directly to your device doesn't always work well.... It temp bricked mine.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next