Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep, my A101 s/n is under the kickstand, and also in letters I can actually read, on the box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That's great! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
Yep, my A101 s/n is under the kickstand, and also in letters I can actually read, on the box.

OMG the box! I did not even THINK to look there...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Allen,
Thanks for this information. I've been setting up my A70 for the past couple of days and this info was very handy.
I'm actually using my A9 right now though. It feels HUGE but solid. Well, back to the A70 setup. Might add the Google market seeing as I have a gmail account now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You guys (and gals) all rock, you know that? I've had my Archos 70 for a whole week now and thanks to you, I have been able to fix a few of the bugs. It is so nice to have Flash working! I'm currently working through Allen's list (thanks, Allen!). I'm a major newbie to anything Android as my cell phone and plan are the very limited/basic type (so limited that I only pay $20/month!).

Of course, since I'm a newbie, I have a couple questions:

1) Does anybody know how to change the name of a new folder when it's made? I made two new folders to organize my home screen but can't find a way for them to say something besides "Folder". I couldn't find the answer in the manual, either.

2) What I've found on the forums for attaching a USB device is to use these two adapters together:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Adapter ... XIKFMBD4SS
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Micro-AB-Ad ... XIKFMBD4SS

Is that correct?

3) Has anybody tried to use these China made devices for either USB or HDMI?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Are they even the right cables?

4) What do you think of these battery pack chargers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AA-Battery-Pack-Cha ... 0720284789

5) Last but not least (for the moment), is the Archos 70 250gb model the same outer size as the 8gb model? I know that may sound like a silly question, but I'm looking at sleeves and don't want to spend the money if it is going to be the wrong size.

Thanks again to all of you who continually spend your time and energy to make this forum so great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All. Please help me. When I first started my Archos 70, I did not install the 3rd party apps in the startup wizard. I updated to the 2.2.1 Froyo, but I cannot install these apps, when I choose "Install" in the startup wizard, this message appears: "Sorry, found no application to install".

I downloaded the newest AOS 2.0.71 from Archos site and I installed this new firmware using complete reset (buttons volume + power start, copying AOS from tPC to Archos), but still the same message.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Sandra,

Welcome to our forum :)

See my replies in RED.

SandraB wrote:
You guys (and gals) all rock, you know that? I've had my Archos 70 for a whole week now and thanks to you, I have been able to fix a few of the bugs. It is so nice to have Flash working! I'm currently working through Allen's list (thanks, Allen!). I'm a major newbie to anything Android as my cell phone and plan are the very limited/basic type (so limited that I only pay $20/month!).

Of course, since I'm a newbie, I have a couple questions:

1) Does anybody know how to change the name of a new folder when it's made? I made two new folders to organize my home screen but can't find a way for them to say something besides "Folder". I couldn't find the answer in the manual, either.

Open the folder, then long touch the folder window title bar. This brings up a text box. You can change the name.

2) What I've found on the forums for attaching a USB device is to use these two adapters together:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Micro-Adapter ... XIKFMBD4SS
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Micro-AB-Ad ... XIKFMBD4SS

Is that correct?

Might work, but I don't like the combination.

You need a cable or adapter which is USB A female on one end and micro A USB male one the other end. I got this one:
from DigiKey. Here's a: Link.

3) Has anybody tried to use these China made devices for either USB or HDMI?

Are they even the right cables?

These look like they will work. From Amazon USA I got this:
From this: Link.

4) What do you think of these battery pack chargers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AA-Battery-Pack-Cha ... 0720284789

Too little reserve for me. I wanted something which would charge multiple devices: my BT-359 GPS receiver, my Virgin Moblle MiFi 2200, my cell phone, and my A70. So I got the New Trent IMP1000:
From Amazon this: Link.

5) Last but not least (for the moment), is the Archos 70 250gb model the same outer size as the 8gb model? I know that may sound like a silly question, but I'm looking at sleeves and don't want to spend the money if it is going to be the wrong size.

The A70H is thicker than the A70S. I'm using one I had made for my 7HT. Check to make sure the reseller says it will fit the A70H.

Thanks again to all of you who continually spend your time and energy to make this forum so great.

Good luck with your new A70.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloh Birkoff,

I would reformat and reinstall 2.0.71.

Allen
Birkoff wrote:
Hi All. Please help me. When I first started my Archos 70, I did not install the 3rd party apps in the startup wizard. I updated to the 2.2.1 Froyo, but I cannot install these apps, when I choose "Install" in the startup wizard, this message appears: "Sorry, found no application to install".

I downloaded the newest AOS 2.0.71 from Archos site and I installed this new firmware using complete reset (buttons volume + power start, copying AOS from tPC to Archos), but still the same message.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Allen, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did it. I pressed volume and power buttons, started the recovery, choosed "Format System" and "Reformat Device". Then I connected the Archos to my tPC, copied AOS there, the firmware 2.0.71 was installed and again, during the startup wizard, if I want to install the 3th party apps: "Sorry, found no application to install". :(

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Aloh Birkoff,

I would reformat and reinstall 2.0.71.

Allen
Birkoff wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You can always download the additional apps and media in one zip file from archos.

ftp://support.archos.com/A101%20HDD%20contents.zip

or for other models check the ftp site.

ftp://support.archos.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wdl1908, Thanks a lot, it works.

wdl1908 wrote:
You can always download the additional apps and media in one zip file from archos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have the 250gb model, and just got the case in that was being discussed for (originally) $3.50. It works well for what it is. The thickness difference between the 8gb and 250gb is very small, we are talking about a small fraction of an inch (2mm I think). That means that unless the case is extremely tight fitting (like a skin or shell) it is likely to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gte105u: Thanks for the info. $3.50 for your case? Great deal! I ended up picking up a case from Borders. Even though it's slightly larger than my A70H, it has a stiff lining between the outer shell and padding that will further protect my device. Also, it makes it so the protruding On button doesn't get hit. It was originally $40 but was half off and I WOULD have had a $5 Borders Bucks coupon, but spent that on a latte and carrot cake. :lol: For those interested, you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Ex-Point-Universa ... 777&sr=8-4 I'm probably still going to knit myself a tighter sleeve for when I want to carry it in my purse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Allen: Did you know that the Higher Powers have put you on this Earth just for us? Just thought you'd like to know that. :D

Okay, I've got my USB cable and screen protector ordered. I've got the HDMI cable in my cart but am having trouble justifying that $80 battery back-up. I just don't know that I have enough devices it would fit that get used on a regular-enough basis to justify it. With the battery-powered one, it can sit around for a year until it's needed (and I don't have to worry about recharging it in order to use it again). Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the tip on renaming the folders. It worked perfectly. I had tried that originally but must not have done it just right (held too long, too short or just not in the right spot).

By the way, how are you doing those hyperlinks in your notes? I tried using the "URL" button but that didn't seem to work as a hyperlink.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for this. I forgot about it and your answer was much better than my reformat answer.

Allen
wdl1908 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Thanks for this. I forgot about it and your answer was much better than my reformat answer.

Allen

Hmm ...

Maybe, but it begs the question, why no apps to install?

Hmm ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hello Sandra,

SandraB wrote:
Allen: Did you know that the Higher Powers have put you on this Earth just for us? Just thought you'd like to know that. :D

We all learn from each other. Everything product I mentioned I found because of our members. So thanks go to all of us together.

Quote:
Okay, I've got my USB cable and screen protector ordered. I've got the HDMI cable in my cart but am having trouble justifying that $80 battery back-up. I just don't know that I have enough devices it would fit that get used on a regular-enough basis to justify it. With the battery-powered one, it can sit around for a year until it's needed (and I don't have to worry about recharging it in order to use it again). Decisions, decisions.

Assume the New Trent IMP1000 has a useful life of 3 years before something better comes along. Then the cost is $2.22 per month. Not much. The chargers you linked seemed underpowered to me. I've been burned before by underpowered devices. My choice seemed simple:
    1. Get an under performing charger and risk running out of juice on a trip or walkabout.
    2. Get a charger with more juice and cost and carry the additional weight
    3. Compromise with the IMP1000
I want to be able to go hiking and to the beach with my ScotteVest and its 18 pockets and my mobile internet A70 connection. Choice 3 it is.

Everyone's situation is different. I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on renaming the folders. It worked perfectly. I had tried that originally but must not have done it just right (held too long, too short or just not in the right spot).

By the way, how are you doing those hyperlinks in your notes? I tried using the "URL" button but that didn't seem to work as a hyperlink.

In words:
1. Highlight the text
2. Select the "URL" button
3. Place an "=" sign inside the first URL directive "url="
4. Paste the full hypertext address after the "=" sign.

Or show and tell:
1. Use the "Quote" button on this message
2. Look at this line for this: Link.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sweetypie wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:

Allen

Hmm ...

Maybe, but it begs the question, why no apps to install?

Hmm ...

Maybe some things are meant to be mysteries...

Anyone?

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Allen,

Android newb here, iPhone owner. As a geek, I got my archos to learn Android.

When I download the flash apk using IE on PC, it downloads as a .zip. Should I rename this to .apk?

When I download using Chrome on PC, it comes up as the sourcecode/innards of the file, which I'm guessing I can save as an .apk

When I download using Archos browser, I also get garble. Was hoping to use this option and download direct from tablet.

Also, when I email myself the .apk (renamed from garble file), it won't download from Archos browser. It does nothing when I click, was also hoping this would be an option.

JL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha JL,

I stopped DLing to my Archos a long time ago because I have more than one Archos tablet. I always DL via Firefox in Windows. If the DroidX file DLs as a .zip rename it to .apk.

I don't know about receiving it as an email attachment. Since I don't do that for my Archos tablets.

Anyone?

Allen

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next