Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

KNell8084 wrote:
wow sweetypie
You have an admirable post amount :D So I imagine you must know quite a bit about these machines. My further question is....it sounds like you meant that I could just download the new firmware over the older one, and the older one will not interfere with the set up. Am I correct in my understanding?
My only other experience with android is with my samsung Vibrant, so I have a lot to learn.
Can anybody answer my question above?

My "admirable" post amount is entirely due to the fact that I talk too much.

I can see "cross purposes" beginning here.

The question I answered related to your "Update to FW (FirmWare) 2.0.71", not "downloading" files. I assumed you wanted to know the implications of your actions AFTER you had downloaded the FW update file. I was trying to say that you don't have to "uninstall" old firmware on the Archos before you "Install" new firmware.

Now that we've wandered onto the subject of how best to "download" files in the first place, you should note that every firmware update file will have exactly the same name as the previous ones. So, and this is Allen's point, to distinguish between versions, you should download each one into a separate folder, each one named according to the version number.

See? I told you I talk too much ...

:badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you everyone for responding to my question. I have downloaded the newest firmware and it is waiting on my pc until my Archos 70 arrives. Once it arrives I will follow the steps outlined and described in Allen's setup. Good to Go :o !!
Wish me luck with my new machine, and thanks everyone
And sweetypie, you don't talk too much, you just have a lot of good stuff to say!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have just installed the latest market update but I cant find it on my A70. The instructions to install it are below but after I rebooted, I cant find where to open the app to sign in. Anyone able to help?

Download - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list
Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
Use 'Files' app to locate gAppsInstaller, then execute/install it
Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
REBOOT!!
Sign into Market (Google Account Login)
Follow the Market FIX instructions below

Mod Edit to fix DL URL...Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jaydh wrote:
I have just installed the latest market update but I cant find it on my A70. The instructions to install it are below but after I rebooted, I cant find where to open the app to sign in. Anyone able to help?

Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
REBOOT!!

Look in the "download" folder.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

OK got my 101 a couple of days ago and done all the steps on here, Flash works but You Tube is very jerky, is this something I've done or do we have to wait for the optimised version from Archos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've found the best results using the YouTube App from the Market.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21 am 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
jaydh wrote:

REBOOT!!

Look in the "download" folder.

Allen

I looked there and its not there. I also installed the app task manager which opened up after install but when i went to open it again i couldn't find it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mod Edit to repair broken link...Allen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try looking in the 'All installed apps' page (tap the little 4x4 matrix symbol on the right of the desktop) as apps do not automatically get placed on the desktop.

You then long-press the app to move it to a desktop page.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just want to point out that Farsquidge is correct, I think Allen is having a "Senior" moment. Jaydh is not looking for the downloaded gappsinstaller file (that link is broken, by the way). He's already downloaded and installed the app. He can't find where the installed app is located.

It'll be located by using the app drawer, as Farsquidge says.

One thing I've noticed recently, about the app drawer (maybe it's because I use ADW.Launcher?). When I downloaded and installed an app from the Market, it wouldn't show up in the app drawer until I rebooted. If I wanted to open a recently installed app, without rebooting, I had to go back to the Market, display the app, and hit "Open". Then, when I rebooted it appeared in the app drawer, and I could copy it to a homescreen.

However, it seems to be ok now - I only mentioned it for anyone with the same problem.

EDIT: No it's not ok now, it's still the same. I just installed another app from the Market, and it didnt show in the app drawer until I rebooted.

Last edited by sweetypie on Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Farsquidge wrote:
Try looking in the 'All installed apps' page (tap the little 4x4 matrix symbol on the right of the desktop) as apps do not automatically get placed on the desktop.

You then long-press the app to move it to a desktop page.

Thanks, I cant find it in there though, what is the android market app icon called once installed?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Market.

Can you let us know what you see when you go to the app drawer... (I previously used a simple term of All apps to help you, not to be condecending, I hope you understand.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The app draw has loads of stuff in it, it would take me ages to list it all, 'market' isnt there though. Maybe it didnt install properly but it did come up with the 'open' and 'done' buttons at the end of installation?

No offence taken.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Good stuff. :D

Did you register the device with Archos?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I know it may seem a pain but it sounds as if it would be best for you to got to...

Menu (on the soft buttons)
Settings/Repair & Formatting/Reset Android

Try installing your stuff from this point...

If you still have the same problem then go...
Settings/Repair & Formatting/Full reinitialisation (as your last resort as you will be back to latest firmware on a blank device).

See how you go with the first option. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I reset the android market, all ok now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Brill. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I repaired the broken link in jaydh's post and where his post was quoted.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Like I said above there are many "right" ways to set up a base configuration for the A101. This is mine. I'm sure I will make changes to it as time goes on.
Allen

Excellent post Allen. Thanks for the tips, it certainly helped when I got my A101 in December.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next