Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Which one is better to your opinion? Is Archos 7HT V2 a better deal? Does Archos 7HT version 2 kind of give us the middle road between Gen 7 and Gen 8?

BH has the new Archos 7HT V2 for $189.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... ABLET.html

I want to hear opinions from people with Gen 8 experience. I'm thinking may be getting this cheaper one wich has eclair and the skip Gen 8 alltogether and wait for gen 9. This way I'm not stucked on Gen 7 and also wait for a better RAM on Gen 9. 256 RAm for me just is not cutting it on Gen 8. I hate to keep killing apps, tasks, ...all the time.
Also this Version 2 can still use the DVR for those who care about DVR.
I do not have any experience with the version 1. But have heard it was not very good quality as Archos 5IT.

(MOD, please do not move this post I need feedback from Gen 8 adopters. Already have A70 but not really satisfied with its RAM size)

* Multimedia Player with Internet
* Android 2.1
* 7-inch capacitive touchscreen
* standard Built-in default
* Support HD video (720p)
* 802.11b/g wifi
* 8 GB internal memory
* 800 MHz processor
* Further expandable memory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It is my understanding ( I don't own one) that the 7HT runs on Cupcake and that it has never been a stellar device. I think you will be very disappointed in this tablet if you get it.

I'm pretty sure that Allen (mod) has owned both and he can probably give you a lot more information.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the lack of bluetooth on the archos 7 v2 kills it for me, i was finally able to bt tether my touch pro 2 to my gen 8 101 and i will be using that feature a lot. if, however, ad-hoc/root was made possible on the v2, i might give that a try.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

fugazzi wrote:
the lack of bluetooth on the archos 7 v2 kills it for me, i was finally able to bt tether my touch pro 2 to my gen 8 101 and i will be using that feature a lot. if, however, ad-hoc/root was made possible on the v2, i might give that a try.

Oh no BT.....i did not realise this. Thx for pointing this. Almost was going to order it. That's a showstopper.
no audio bt or bt tethering. Too bad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Allen should chip in. Let's start with the home tablet only runs cupcake and is a tablet Archos contracted instead of designed so it's never getting any additional development. It has a slow processor and no auto rotation so if you use it as a reader... Performance wise it stinks. In a nut shell it's on sale to unload before people discover the A70.

I write software on Linux and Android. In my experience people seem to diagnose technology without knowing much about it. What is wrong with your RAM? Urban myths start when people think Android is remotely the same as a PC OS. I've yet to encounter anyone complaining about the Archos RAM size who has a coherent understanding of Android memory management.

May I suggest you try a different home screen manager and optionally set the optimization for performance on the lastest firmware under the about section. I have LauncherPro and it's much smoother.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The version 2 is different. It runs Eclair not Donut. Has capacitive screen and runs 800 faster processor. Big step from version 1. The only issue i see is Bluetooth. Going back to RAM: It's still pain. Apps keep running in the background and froyo has not been aggressive enough even with the latest firmware. I do easily get into 30 some mb left. And start seing freezes and slowdowns. I bet if i had 500 mb instead of 250 mb i would not ger into this type of situation. Try to browse the web with 70 mb or more free ram and with 30 some free ram and you will tell the difference.
Plus i doubt gen8 will get gingerbread. So thinkig downgrading to this version 2 and wait for gen 9. Buet BT lack is the showstopper.
Allen, please comment on this version 2 with your version 1 and gen 8 experiences

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:
The version 2 is different. It runs Eclair not Donut. Has capacitive screen and runs 800 faster processor. Big step from version 1. The only issue i see is Bluetooth. Going back to RAM: It's still pain. Apps keep running in the background and froyo has not been aggressive enough even with the latest firmware. I do easily get into 30 some mb left. And start seing freezes and slowdowns. I bet if i had 500 mb instead of 250 mb i would not ger into this type of situation. Try to browse the web with 70 mb or more free ram and with 30 some free ram and you will tell the difference.
Plus i doubt gen8 will get gingerbread. So thinkig downgrading to this version 2 and wait for gen 9. Buet BT lack is the showstopper.
Allen, please comment on this version 2 with your version 1 and gen 8 experiences

Guys, I looked further into this and Archos 7 won't cut it for me. It may work though for some. A lot of great features were left out of Version 1 and are still left out version 2: Bluetooth, WMV codecs, Upnp or Samba, subtitle, heavier in weight, HDMI, Wifi N, Accelerometer.... well not to count the fact that it's only Eclair so no Flash at all.
Oh no, I'm glad to pay the extra $100 to get all these features.
The DVR possibility is not a big deal for me.

Thank you all of you who've offered insight... I will stick with A70 & A101. Gen 8 is not perfect but near perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:
bhmm wrote:

Guys, I looked further into this and Archos 7 won't cut it for me. It may work though for some. A lot of great features were left out of Version 1 and are still left out version 2: Bluetooth, WMV codecs, Upnp or Samba, subtitle, heavier in weight, HDMI, Wifi N, Accelerometer.... well not to count the fact that it's only Eclair so no Flash at all.
Oh no, I'm glad to pay the extra $100 to get all these features.
The DVR possibility is not a big deal for me.

Thank you all of you who've offered insight... I will stick with A70 & A101. Gen 8 is not perfect but near perfect.

Where are you getting the specs on this? There doesn't seem to be any info on the first link other than a picture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
Where are you getting the specs on this? There doesn't seem to be any info on the first link other than a picture.

Well it's very confusing. B&H is selling it without listing the specs. The few specs known I got them for these Netherlands retailer site. You may need to use Google Translate from Dutch

http://www.tabletcenter.nl/product/1184 ... gb-v2.html

also here

https://dixons.nl/artikel/7126501/Archo ... et_V2_8_GB

Archos does not have the NEW specs listed on any of their sites. Only the OLD specs. They do not even mention Version 2. But people from the Archos 7 forum noticed a few months back that there was something new coming. But even a few days ago NZ was saying the opposite. A guy from th Archos 7 forum has even received the new version 2 into his hands. Two poeple have received it: one likes it one does not. See this link scroll all the way down.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=41873

So from the link aboves, the comments from these people and this Chart which is comparing A70 to Archos 7 version 1 (even though they hinted back then on a Version 2 Eclair) I came to my conclusions. From my readings Version is the same as versio 1 with new 8 Gb, Eclair, Faster processor. That's it. Everything else is the same as version 1. This chart is way biaised in favor of A70 and was release when gen8 came out. But it gives a good comparaison picture. They do not talk about the DVR or dock capability, AMC, ...or A7

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/_watc ... si&lang=en

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

First of all i'm a beginner, so try to take this in consideration if I posted this in the wrong forum. The day before Xmas I bouht the archos 7 HT v2. But I have some problems, which even the reset button won't solve. The problem is that the device gives the notice 'lancher (process andoid.proces.acore) has stopped, try again' at startup and that's it. The device doesn't response anymore after that. Tried the reset several times, but that didnot work. Seems to me that reinstalling the firmware should be the answer, but I do not have it. Does anyone know the a solution for this? (Besides going back to the store, which will happen ofcourse if there is no solution to be found).
Thnxs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Any news about a replacement of the 5 IT?

Johnny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Personally, I find it interesting that Archos has made no announcement of the 7HT V2 and has no information about it on its web site. In the Charbax interview no Archos employee appeared.

Also, No BT?

If so, no BT GPS, tethering, keyboard, or anything else.

And no accelerometer?

If so, no autorotation or 3D games.

Even if the V2 is a real Archos product, then I would recommend the A70 over a cheap Chinese knockoff with the Archos label on it. In the 7 months of the 7HT V1 Archos has only released one FirmWare update.

ONE update in SEVEN months. That's real Lack of Commitment to the product. Why should I expect better support from Archos for the unannounced 7HT V2?

IMO the real comparison isn't between the 7HT V2 and the A70. The real comparison is between the 7HT V2(?) and the other Chinese 7 inch Rockchip 2818 tablets.

Prove me wrong Archos. Tell us officially if the Archos 7HT V2 is truly an Archos tablet.

About the A70's ram: I still have ATM's Press To End shortcut: just in case. I just upgraded to kenyu73's gappinstaller V5 stable on both my A70S and 16G A101. I'm still testing and testing may take quite a while because of the variety of Apps and accessories I'm using on two devices.

Personally, I've been through a 7HT experience and I feel no need to go through another non-Archos "Archos labeled" product.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well said Allen...That was my conclusion after looking into this. Not worth it. At least for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ben123 wrote:
Hello,

First of all i'm a beginner, so try to take this in consideration if I posted this in the wrong forum. The day before Xmas I bouht the archos 7 HT v2. But I have some problems, which even the reset button won't solve. The problem is that the device gives the notice 'launcher (process andoid.proces.acore) has stopped, try again' at startup and that's it. The device doesn't response anymore after that. Tried the reset several times, but that did not work. Seems to me that reinstalling the firmware should be the answer, but I do not have it. Does anyone know the a solution for this? (Besides going back to the store, which will happen ofcourse if there is no solution to be found).
Thnxs

Aloha Ben,

Welcome to our forum :)

The problem you face posting here is that there is no 7HT V2 forum at ArchosFans. You might get more help in the Archos 7 and 8 Home Tablets forum, but I'm not sure. I expect you will find very little help at Archos Support for an unannounced product and very little support in any of the forums because of the very few "7HT V2s" in the wild.

Unless you love tweaking, returning it may be your best option.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for posting on this Allen. I was hoping my post would be forgotten anyway as I wondered how confused people could be and then saw a V2 A7 HT. Huh? I'm with you. I guess if there is no way you can afford an A70... I guess it's nice it's finally a little less sad. I bet anybody who sees it and buys it and then sees the A70 is going to be ill. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I own a 7V2 and it has NOT a capacitive screen. That is the big difference with the 70 from hardware point of view. It mentions free RAM 348 Mb so it must have more than the previous V1 :-) And it has Eclair but unfortunately I can not get the gapps4archos.apk running even if it is mentioning that it only runs on Eclair :-(
I'm more than happy with it as for the price Ôé¼149 it is unbeatable! The wifi is poor, probably an antenna issue. Same chip as in Ipod...
Video runs wonderful , the best ereader as it works with Android apps like Vudroid for pdf. Copying .apk via sdcard from my LG GW620 backups with Android App Manager works very well :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Friends, I'm writing this off an Archos 7 v2 clone (basically Booq Verne Plus from BQREADERS which is a "brother" of several German and other country clones) and I can only say it is very very nice. Yes its not an archos 70 so it┬┤s 100Ôé¼ cheaper.

The RK2818 (in my case it works at 650Mhz) + 550Mhz DSP (to process 3D and 720p video acceleration) + 256Mb RAM + HDMI (on my unit) is very good and compared with my Snapdragon + Froyo it processes things more or less at 1/3 of the speed which is more than fine for standard web browsing, ebook, office, messenger and facebook and casual gaming. Plus battery lasts forever and movies are perfect up to 720p!

My model (Booq Verne Plus) has the most sensible resistive screen ever and, believe it or not, the Android UI is smoother than on Archos 70, I had both side by side. It also has USB OTG and I never had to shutdown apps, I always have plenty of RAM left: after boot I have 140-150Mb RAM left; my "Froyo" phone with 256Mb RAM has.... 80Mb of free RAM "thanks" to the phone apps and bluetooth drivers! Which means IMHO that 256Mb RAM is more than enough for a mid-to-low end tablet! Of course on high end tablets (Galaxy Tab or Tegra 250 tablets which support high end 3D / flash) 512Mb RAM is a must, specially those having 3G/phone capabilities. In the end I would say those tablets without 3G/phone will shine with "just" 256Mb RAM, those with 3G/phone will need 512Mb RAM.

PROS vs Archos 70:
- 100Ôé¼ cheaper which is fine for all non-heavy 3D tasks
- battery lasts longer
- parts should be easy to find on ebay/chinese web stores
- no bluetooth/3G means (a lot) more RAM left for apps
- less worries if I lost it or if it gets stolen

MINUS vs Archos 70:
- no bluetooth
- no capacitive screen
- no high-end 3D games
- no Froyo (for the moment)

I talked with my tablet brand (Booq) and they said this kind of tablets (Rockchip 2818 + 256Mb RAM) will receive Froyo by Q1 2011 possibly with HW (550Mhz DSP) accelerated flash support which should allow up to 720p flash video, smoother than that out of a Snapdragon (I┬┤m talking of internet flash video). Lets wait and see but for what I bought it: ebooks, video playback and web browsing it behaves perfectly!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all, just received my 7V2 today, and to my opinion, it is running smooth. As previous mentioned, I do have poor Wi-Fi reception, but orientation does change when flipping the tablet. Still getting to know the tablet, but for now i'm sattisfied.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

williewortel wrote:
I own a 7V2 and it has NOT a capacitive screen. That is the big difference with the 70 from hardware point of view. It mentions free RAM 348 Mb so it must have more than the previous V1 :-) And it has Eclair but unfortunately I can not get the gapps4archos.apk running even if it is mentioning that it only runs on Eclair :-(
I'm more than happy with it as for the price Ôé¼149 it is unbeatable! The wifi is poor, probably an antenna issue. Same chip as in Ipod...
Video runs wonderful , the best ereader as it works with Android apps like Vudroid for pdf. Copying .apk via sdcard from my LG GW620 backups with Android App Manager works very well :-)

Hi just tried installing the gapps4archos.apk, and indeed the V4 (Eclair) version didn't do the trick, the supposedly Froyo version V5 however, did... so...retry.
Sorry, cried victory to soon. Nothing happens, really...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A7HTv2 would get firmware updates from Rockchip, through Archos, obviously may be less frequent than Gen8 as Archos has much more control over that.

RK2818 is a big deal in the industry, has pretty decent hardware acceleration even though it's still an ARM9 processor.

Froyo is unlikely, but maybe Google is preparing a basic version of Honeycomb for cheaper ARM9 and ARM11 devices, who knows..

I believe Archos is planning an A7HTv3 capacitive, maybe rk29 I guess, to coincide with potential A101HT release, who knows.

I think Rockchip is doing so impressive work, so fast, even Archos isn't sure what is going on.

I think HT series will continue to exist as long as they can be 100Ôé¼ cheaper than main Generation series.