Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 am 

What kind of weird app is being used when you bring up a local html file (not on the web), and how can I replace it ?

It apparently cannot zoom in any fashion, like by pinching or clicking for a menu option (has none). If you have onboard html as a manual or saved websites or an html book - it is useless on a small screen.

Somewhere there must be a setup as to what gets launched for onboard html, and it doesn't seem to be android browser. For instance if you invoke the user manual, it will bring this weird thing up... and then when you click on a line it goes on to the normal browser.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Good question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The thing can be found in Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | All

==> HTML viewer

But I don't know if there is anything you can do to get it out of the way, or to configure it however. It looks like a piece of Android, at some level. Choosing to "Clear Data" does not activate any of the other options, such as "Launch by default", "Force stop", or "Uninstall" however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hgushee wrote:
The thing can be found in Settings | Applications | Manage Applications | All

==> HTML viewer

But I don't know if there is anything you can do to get it out of the way, or to configure it however. It looks like a piece of Android, at some level. Choosing to "Clear Data" does not activate any of the other options, such as "Launch by default", "Force stop", or "Uninstall" however.

Good spot. It supports something else I was thinking. It's a (Windows-type) file association thing. Android is treating the internal .htm and .html (I know, I renamed the file, just to see) suffixes as "files" rather than "web pages". So the associated app options are only "text viewers" rather than "web browsers".

Interesting. I wonder if this is Android or Archos?

Is there any kind of app which manages File Associations, I wonder?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I think Astro File Manager will manage associations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hgushee wrote:
I think Astro File Manager will manage associations.

I had a look at that. It has an "Edit File Extensions" function, which looks promising, but it's not what I hoped for. It's subtitled "Set mime type and icon for file extensions" - less promising.

"htm" is set to "text/html".

I changed it to various other things (there doesn't seem to be a "browser" setting), but when I clicked on the file, I got the message "htm not recognised".

Good try though ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm 

For the case of frequently accessed local html files, I believe you can force the web browser to see it via file://mnt/storage/blahblah to get a zoomable viewing experience. But it is kind of a pain to figure out and type the path, which is different than archos displays to you. You can find it by files details, then bookmark it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 am 

viking wrote:
It apparently cannot zoom in any fashion, like by pinching or clicking for a menu option (has none). If you have onboard html as a manual or saved websites or an html book - it is useless on a small screen.

Hmm, now I see it can sometimes zoom depending on the content. If it has just words, you can sometimes tickle a zoom bar on lower left which works fine. If it has pictures, you can sometimes double tap for a slight zoom, although usually inadaquate on a 7 inch screen. Other times it seems to defy zooming.