Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Updated: 2010-12-15. Now released :)

Archos site wrote:
Special developer edition firmware

Please note that these Special Developer Edition (SDE) firmwares provided in this section consists of a proof-of-concept software intended for experienced software developers only.
It is not to be considered a commercial grade release. The goal of these releases is to open up :
- the ARCHOS Generation 8 internet tablets,
- the ARCHOS 5 Generation 7 internet tablet,
- the ARCHOS 5 and ARCHOS 7 Generation 6 Internet Media Tablets
and provide a starting point for people interested in building native applications on a standard Linux base.

For ARCHOS Generation 8 devices only:
Important notices to be acknowledged before downloading and installing the SDE firmware:

* Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
* Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty and ARCHOS declines all liability and responsibility for any issues resulting from the installation of this SDE firmware.
* ARCHOS strongly advises that only experts in embedded software development should install this firmware.
* This firmware is provided "as is" and is not supported by ARCHOS.

The SDE firmware MUST be installed using the recovery menu. The recovery is triggered by powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button (or 3 consecutive short press on the power button for the A28). In order to install the new firmware, the "Update firmware" option needs to be selected by navigating up and down the items with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons and then executing the selection with a short press on the power button. Once in this mode, the device can be connected to a PC and will act as a mass storage device where the .aos firmware file can be uploaded. Once this step is done, press on the power button again to launch the installation process.

Once the SDE firmware is installed, powering on the device while pressing the 'volume down' button will now trigger a "Boot Menu". This menu allows to select which Operating System is to be launched (Android, the newly installed Developer Edition or the Recovery System). If the device is powered on while pressing jointly the 'volume down' and the 'volume up' buttons, the Developer Edition will be launched. If the device is powered on without any other button pressed, Android will be launched.

Installing a new legacy (Android) ARCHOS firmware WILL NOT remove the SDE firmware. In order to uninstall the SDE, boot into the recovery using the Boot Menu, select "Developer Edition Menu", then "Uninstall Developer Edition".

http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... se&lang=en

openAOS has more info and screenshots http://www.openaos.org/

Last edited by inc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is the SDE. I know what it stands for, but is it an actual working FW or as a relative newby to Android with no Linux experience, is it best to forget about it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ViPaSoft wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is the SDE. I know what it stands for, but is it an actual working FW or as a relative newby to Android with no Linux experience, is it best to forget about it.

Thanks.

Well if you read the release terms it states that installing it voids the warranty.
Generally a SDK kit is used for software development platform. In this case a workbench for building android applications for 8 gen devices.
Using a development version as production purpose is never a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks jkajolin,

I had a vague idea that's what is was for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jkajolin wrote:
ViPaSoft wrote:

Thanks.

Well if you read the release terms it states that installing it voids the warranty.
Generally a SDK kit is used for software development platform. In this case a workbench for building android applications for 8 gen devices.
Using a development version as production purpose is never a good idea.

That's worse than a mixed metaphor. There is a difference between SDE and SDK. An SDK, specifically, is a software developers kit. It would include tools for building, testing and packaging software and most importantly it is very deeply integrated with key libraries. It is really essential. That is not what the SDE is at all.

If you haven't a clue then unless you want to learn how to develop software stay away. It's simple. Read what it says. Ready to void your warranty? jkajolin says it's never a good idea, but misses that when you fire it up you will find that you are missing anything proprietary from before, which means unless you are developing it's a downgrade.

What this means is that people who do want to develop software can now make gen 8 tablets run other operating systems. This would primarily mean Linux OSs and will probably mean dual boot. So the very interesting thing to watch for is someone releasing dual boot Android and MeeGo. I don't know if I want to code on this as I have enough to do but I'd sure like to be able to run this.

Go search MeeGo. It's an operating system based on the Linux kernel with a UI developed for tablets. Not only is it a captivating and intriguing UI but it also means you can run pretty much any Linux program... Which means your tablet really could replace your notebook.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And this means we definately will have Android 3 on the Gen8 devices ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Actually, if you buy from a third party you might benefit from a guarantee from the seller which can last longer than the manufacturer's own warranty and which may not be affected by installing the SDE. For instance, my 43 is on order (arriving wednesday or thursday!) from a company that offers it's own two year guarantee free of charge whereas archos only proposes a 1 year warranty. This is a seperate arrangement and so I should be covered even if i mess up my archos by installing the SDE.

You do lose the device's DRM keys though (but personally I will never have any need to play DRM files... ARRrrrrr!).

EDIT; apparently there are infact no Drm keys in gen 8 to lose (xda)

Last edited by Harfainx on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit by Harfainx - Foul language

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great! This is the good news.

http://choxe.net - Mua b├ín ├┤ t├┤, xe hãíi.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hairfainx i see that you rule with an iron fist! until now my shenanigans had gone completely unnoticed in the gen7 forums .. sniff ... ah those were the times/

[-X
aaahh non! (as the french say - they even do the wavey finger! ;- )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

will meego run fully on archos 101 ? by this i mean can i just download the meego tablet image from meego website, wack it on my archos 101 and expect everything to work ? i,e wifi, camera etc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

okz19 wrote:
will meego run fully on archos 101 ? by this i mean can i just download the meego tablet image from meego website, wack it on my archos 101 and expect everything to work ? i,e wifi, camera etc

Probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 pm 

blazingwolf wrote:
okz19 wrote:

Probably not.

Definitely not.

We should be able to get MeeGo working, but it will require hardware specific modifications. Once a custom MeeGo ROM is built, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I updated title, noticed there was a new thread already about same thing, but main site link to this thread already.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Looks like everything is upside down after starting ├àngstr├Âm :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

inc wrote:

lol yep, same problemo here :/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

EvolvedFire wrote:
inc wrote:

you are holding it wrong then...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nz wrote:
EvolvedFire wrote:
inc wrote:

you are holding it wrong then...

:lol:
maybe we need a bumper on it :badgrin:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

who cares if only the lucky and the chosen ones will be able to buy the ***Mod Edit: Profanity. Allen*** thing anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Anybody have any screenshots or feedback running that ├àngstr├Âm?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

anurbanlegend wrote:
Anybody have any screenshots or feedback running that ├àngstr├Âm?

See other thread in the 101 forum. User leijae posted a Youtube video