Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tethers works great with Nokia N900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

IPhone 4 with iOS 4.3

Turned on mobile hotspots feature. My archos 101 connected to it without issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would like to connect my evo froyo to a hot spot with Sprint, however, they want $30. to connect. Wish I could get to tether without rooting. Tried everything. Scared to root.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Some more input for the list:

Sony-Ericsson TM506 with archos 101: yes, shows up as PAN on a101
HTC HD2 (tmobile us) running custom Elegancia rom with archos 101: yes, shows up as DUN on a101
HTC HD2 (tmobile us) running custom Energy rom with archos 101: no (tried this a hundred ways and times, but still no)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all--

First of all, thanks to all of you who have posted very informative replies. I have a question: I've spent about an hour researching it online, but haven't found a definitive answer. I'm planning to buy a Droid X and use Verizon for service. Am I correct in assuming I could Bluetooth-tether my Archos 70 to a Verizon Droid X and not have to pay for the additional tethering data plan that Verizon charges? I know from reading these forums it can be Bluetooth-tethered--I just need to know if I'll need to pay that nasty monthly fee for doing it!

Thanks much, in advance, for an answer!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

countryprof wrote:
Hi all--

First of all, thanks to all of you who have posted very informative replies. I have a question: I've spent about an hour researching it online, but haven't found a definitive answer. I'm planning to buy a Droid X and use Verizon for service. Am I correct in assuming I could Bluetooth-tether my Archos 70 to a Verizon Droid X and not have to pay for the additional tethering data plan that Verizon charges? I know from reading these forums it can be Bluetooth-tethered--I just need to know if I'll need to pay that nasty monthly fee for doing it!

Thanks much, in advance, for an answer!

I have Droid X and Verizon ... but a 101. It takes some repetitive tries, and fast fingers, but I got it to bluetooth tether PAN. Once you get it paired, it is automatic and easy from then on. I know they charge for Wifi tethering, but only that. Otherwise, no fees, and I don't see how they could determine what you do with bluetooth. Some high tech person can confirm that here, but I'm fairly confident about that.
I gotta say it's wonderful. Along with GPS tethering, it's great fun traveling. But also just say, sitting in a doctor's office ... it's nice when tethering gets you online!

Added note: to make it work, you MUST turn off WIFI on the tablet and phone. It will NOT work if they are on. You don't need wifi on phone or pad if WiFi isn't available. If it is you just go direct with Wifi and the tablet (duh).

Last edited by wmayo44 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wmayo44--

Thanks much for that--very good to hear!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sonyericsson Elm with Archos 32: works; manual APN input required.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I posted this somewhere else but I have one of the very few current-gen "feature phones" that Verizon offersÔÇöSamsung SCH-u450 "Intensity". This is the first generation and NOT the "Intensity 2".

Archos' tethering UI pretty much appears to assume GSM and has little indication that they support the Qualcomm CDMA style of tetheringÔÇöusing Bluetooth DUN to dial #777. I gather that was always a proprietary and single-vendor way to operate a cell modem, but it is nonetheless the way the vast majority of Verizon feature phones work, since they all use essentially the same Qualcomm chip.

I am not sure what Archos' tethering configurator derives from querying the phone, or how the various buttons change thingsÔÇöall I know is that it didn't work *at all*, until I installed the SDE firmware and edited the file /data/tether_start on the Android data partition from there. This is a "chat script" file for the Linux PPP daemon pppd, and if you have a desktop Linux computer the format of the file is *exactly* the same. Basically I got in there, put in the modem AT commands I needed and rebooted into Android. And it worked. Since then I have not touched the configuration GUI for the tethering featureÔÇöand this modification has survived all the firmware upgrades so far. I don't know if later versions of the firmware fixed the issues I hadÔÇöI think I first tried tethering on the first Froyo release.

From the existing tether_start script, you need to remove the odd AT initialization commands that I assume are from the GSM spec, and stick with a command sequence that should be familiar to people who remember the days of dial-up terminal software. Basically you need to issue "ATZ" to initialize and "ATDT#777" to dial. Some older phones might need "AT$QCMDR=3" in between but most newer ones don't. My guess is Qualcomm did it this way to ease compatibility with Microsoft Windows' existing modem/dial-up networking features. When this technology was new many computers still had Windows 98/2000 or maybe XP.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I knew LG-P500 Optimus One has been reported to be successfully tethered for A70IT.
However, I would like to provide some more information.

Tethering successful with A101IT firmware 2.1.08

BT tethering in DUN mode -> WiFi : success
BT tethering in DUN mode -> 3G : success
Wifi Hotspot tethering -> 3G : success

Due to bug in firmware 2.1.08 (and earier versions), A101IT/A70IT is unable to connect to WiFi network with 802.1x PEAP/MSCHAPV2 security setting. Using BT tethering to WiFi through LG-P500, I am now able to connect to those network :D .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rglick64 wrote:
Successfully tethering A70 with US Verizon Wireless Blackberry Tour 9630

Blackberry OS V 5.0.0.732

A70 Firmware 2.0.71 (also worked under 2.0.54)

APN: <10-digitphonenumber>.vzw3g.com

Tethers very reliably

Can you or someone provide step-by-step.
I can get mine paired, but never connected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

With new firmware v2.3.26 we can finally put Blackberry Bold 9700 on the supported phones list. I was able to use Bluetooth tethering today :D .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@kide: what settings did you use to get a tethering with the bold 9700. Im not able to get a working tethering, even with the new firmware. Im pretty sure that i use the correct apn. My carrier is o2 germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

zerlot wrote:
@kide: what settings did you use to get a tethering with the bold 9700. Im not able to get a working tethering, even with the new firmware. Im pretty sure that i use the correct apn. My carrier is o2 germany

I'm on AT&T. I paired 9700 with Archos and it just worked with default AT&T APN settings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Blackberry Tethering finally works now (9800 Torch, T-Mobile Germany Branding) :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am FINALLY able to connect to my Blackberry 8900 from T-Mobile now. I used the following settings:

APN (from my phone): epc.tmobile.com
Username: user
PW: user

Sometimes it doesn't connect and you have to try a few times but once it connects it is solid. After seeing someone elses post with a T-Mobile device I also tried their settings with success:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: guest
PW: guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am thinking about getting a T-Mobile G2. I really love the keyboard and the design. The only question I have is whether anyone has had any success tethering it (via WiFi or BT) to their Archos 70 or 101.

I haven't had any success with my Cliq, but it would be nice to finally be able to tether like Archos advertised.

So anyone had success with the G2?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello ppl,

I have an archos 70 8Gb and I'm trying to connect it to my Nokia N900 via bluetooth, it says: paired but not connected, i tried rebooting both devices a couple of times and also unpairing and pairing with that, but i keep getting the same message that they are paired but not connected. I did already set up an APN for tethering, but yea as long as they are not connected it's not working. Any suggestions?

Greetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

doubleyouj wrote:
Hello ppl,

I have an archos 70 8Gb and I'm trying to connect it to my Nokia N900 via bluetooth, it says: paired but not connected, i tried rebooting both devices a couple of times and also unpairing and pairing with that, but i keep getting the same message that they are paired but not connected. I did already set up an APN for tethering, but yea as long as they are not connected it's not working. Any suggestions?

Greetz

I had an N900 and tried many times to tether it to the A70. Nothing I did worked. It just doesn't give you any options. I don't think you're gonna have much luck, sorry. I think it's less the N900 and more the A70.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A101 with FW 2.3.26 works fine with Nokia 5310 xpressmusic.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next