Successfull Tether (finally!)
Android version: Archos 2.1.8 (Android 2.2.1)
HTC Dream (G1) Rooted
Android Version: CM 6.1.0-DS (Android 2.2.1)
*I could not
do this without the Wireless tether app (if others have please tell me how, as I have a stock G1 I'd like to test). Therefore I assume that at a minimum
you need a Rooted G1 with stock OS
*For the purpose of testing and to conserve battery I have disabled wifi on both devices, I don't know if that changes anything.
*Don't use the "open garden" wireless tether on the market, I couldn't get it to work (again if others have please tell me) instead get the tried and true wireless tether for root users
from: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-t ... 2&q=Stable
*apparently regardless of whether you select prevent device from sleeping
on the a70s it will sometimes lose the connection. I came back after 15 minutes and had to restart BT and tethering on the a70s (not the whole process). you may also have to restart tether on the G1 app. takes all of 1 minute. The length of time between disconnects varies (its been 45 minutes since I reconnected).
1) Turn on BT on a70s, start wireless tether app on G1 in BT mode (Access control enabled, Discoverable on start up enabled)
2) Tap to start tether on the G1, scan for devices on a70s
3) Pair and connect to G1 from the a70s (code 1234) and allow a70s connection from the G1 (again 1234), a70s should now read paired but not connected
4) On the a70s go to the cell phone tether menu, you should now see the HTC dream (or G1) PAN profile. Select the profile then hit next.
5) Select the Tether
checkbox in the cell phone tethering menu; you may have to back out and in to see the option
*at this point the phone should vibrate announcing the a70s tether attempt.
6) In the wireless tether app on the phone go to menu > access control. check the box next to the a70s MAC address.
7) Open the a70s browser and verify internet access. Thats it.
Looking for any help with a70s USB tether to the G1 (I know wifi=nono without root). If someone can produce USB tethering instructions that work with G1 I will post a vid on both.
Also if I posted this in the wrong thread I apologize in advance. Hope this helps!