Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bbm wrote:
My Archos 70 seems to have a BUG: after charging for 14 hours the green led does not blink to show that the battery is fully charged.

Mine did that also but I fixed it by making sure the Powersave feature was set to like 2 minutes(I used to have it completely off). Now it works and and the green led flashes after it has charged!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello all! Little new here been reading the forums for over a year now but just finally joined the fun!

I updated my Firmware today on my 43IT and I'm still getting the Device is Charging symbol in the corner of the screen after disconnecting it. Also when it does this my Main storage becomes unmountable.
In windows it just shows up as a grayed out drive icon. I tinkered with the settings for a few hours trying to get main storage to mount but gave up and hard reset it and it worked again took another hour to get my music back on it. Not to mention I lost all my Angry Bird Saves! lol

P.s. is there any way to stop the device from updating the media library after sync or removing / swapping SD cards? I have almost 10k MP3s on it and it takes several minutes during that time the device is VERY LAGGY and I can't do anything. I hate when I'm listening to music and swap my SD card and have to wait a few minutes to play my music again. Its bad enough it won't random music in subfolders so I can't use folders to save my music for random play. lol Still a fun device beats my old 5IT so much lighter and smaller!

<Edit>Spelling</Edit>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:01 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Someone posted on this:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=39785&hilit=scan+media+files

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Audio output threw the headphone jacks sucks and crackles..major concern. And in HD camcorder mode the 720P option has a yellow tint at the bottom(im thinking its lighting problem)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

wyattr.hicks wrote:
Audio output threw the headphone jacks sucks and crackles..major concern. And in HD camcorder mode the 720P option has a yellow tint at the bottom(im thinking its lighting problem)

Yea the static that plays is concerning, thinking about returning mine. It was meant to replace my zune....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I agree..but im really like the device and dont want to return it...do you think they can fix this stuff in a patch or upgrade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Two black stripes appear on the scrren sides

I have a thread here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40590

I have just realized that there are 2 black stripes at the end of the right and left side of my screen. Each has a width of about half that of the notification bar. It means that the real screen view has shrunk. They appear from the start up screen and does not change later when I rotate the device. The problem seems new.

I did Reformat Device:
power off
press vol and power to go into recovery
down to format system press power
press reformat device

It does NOT help. The real view area is still smaller than the physical screen during all the formatting process and later after restarting. :(

I remember that the first time I turn the on after receiving it, it has some kind of screen calibrating process with 4 crosses at 4 screen angles. This time, it does not have that process.

What should I do to bring it back to the state before I turn it on the first time?

This must be a BUG, because if I reformat the device and install the firmware, normally things should go back to the factory setting. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bbm wrote:
Two black stripes appear on the scrren sides

I have a thread here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40590

I have just realized that there are 2 black stripes at the end of the right and left side of my screen. Each has a width of about half that of the notification bar. It means that the real screen view has shrunk. They appear from the start up screen and does not change later when I rotate the device. The problem seems new.

I did Reformat Device:
power off
press vol and power to go into recovery
down to format system press power
press reformat device

It does NOT help. The real view area is still smaller than the physical screen during all the formatting process and later after restarting. :(

I remember that the first time I turn the on after receiving it, it has some kind of screen calibrating process with 4 crosses at 4 screen angles. This time, it does not have that process.

What should I do to bring it back to the state before I turn it on the first time?

This must be a BUG, because if I reformat the device and install the firmware, normally things should go back to the factory setting. :(

Some people here also have this problem http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=40590&p=274284#p274284
After checking some A70 unboxing videos, it seems that all or many of us have this problem.

It is very clear here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuCNqbxRVg
5:04: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6HlJSwPpEI
12:08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojqPZs8WUc

This BUG makes the screen looks a bit ugly and reduces about 0.25 inch of the screen real estate. I hope that the BUG will be considered in the coming firmwares.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:48 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

manormortal wrote:
Dejavus wrote:
N23 wrote:
you can change this behaviour for every wifi network in the wifi settings tab or at creation time of it - so it's a feature!

Can you tell where to go to change this? I have been to the settings tab and their isnt an option to change it.

when you first connect to a network and enter the password there is a option to disable powersave, i think this should stop the wifi from disconnecting when the screen is off

I tried this ... but it still loses connection to my network when the screen shuts off. So maybe the tablet overrides my WiFi power settings??

edit: It seems to me that the option to 'Disable powersave' is not saved. When I check the option and save, and then reopen the connection, the option is no longer checked. Might be a bug in the firmware??

Last edited by TempestDK on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The Wifi can not work steadily.

I use TPLink WR841N wireless router,which support 802.11 b/g/n
At first I choose the bgn mixed mode on my router,which works fine with my IBM T60,but the ARCHOS 70 disconnect from the wifi now an then,I mean the icon on the right corner always show and hide.
Then I choose the bg mixed mode,the ARCHOS 80 works better.But one day later,I found although the ARCHOS 70 seems on line with wifi,but the device can not access internet,after the reopen of the wifi ,it works for some time,but later...bug occurs again.

Is it the hardware problem or the firmware?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

highland wrote:
The Wifi can not work steadily.

I use TPLink WR841N wireless router,which support 802.11 b/g/n
At first I choose the bgn mixed mode on my router,which works fine with my IBM T60,but the ARCHOS 70 disconnect from the wifi now an then,I mean the icon on the right corner always show and hide.
Then I choose the bg mixed mode,the ARCHOS 80 works better.But one day later,I found although the ARCHOS 70 seems on line with wifi,but the device can not access internet,after the reopen of the wifi ,it works for some time,but later...bug occurs again.

Is it the hardware problem or the firmware?

I think it doesn't like mixed/hybrid modes. I had the same problems on mine, until I lowered my max speed on the wireless network to 54Mbps. Now it has no connectivity problems. Hopefully this will get fixed in a firmware upgrade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In case it's of any use, my experience of the A5IT was this.

My Wireless N router has a max connection speed of 300Mbps. Before my A5IT purchase, I had the router set to Auto channel width 20/40MHz. When I connected my Archos to the router I had difficulty with maintaining a connection for extended periods. The A5IT still showd the Wifi "connected" icon, but in fact there was no internet connection. When I changed it to 20MHz it gave a solid internet connection.

In both cases, the A5IT only ever connected at a max of 54Mbps, although, using the 20/40MHz setting I got a 300Mbps connection to my PCs. When I set the router to 20MHz my max connection to my PCs went down to 130Mbps, but the Archos was stable.

Worth a try.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Huh, interesting info.

I have an Apple Time Capsule that is providing 802.11G and N on dual radios. My PCs get 162Mbit consistently on N, occasionally bursting to 300mbit but never remaining there.

My A70 never connects at anything greater than 54Mbit. I assume that once froYo comes out, the N will work properly. That was the case for my HTC Evo.

That said, I seem to have good and consistent connectivity from my A70. Sometimes I need to go and reconnect the WiFi after many sleep/wake cycles.

I also get good sound quality streaming Pandora. If the screen lag issues are resolved by FroYo, I'll be quite pleased with the A70.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

WiFi

Our A70 has trouble connecting to my wireless network (linksys wrt54g, tomato firmware, b/g).

I have to go into the wifi settings and select my network to get it to connect.
Sometimes it will connect after the first try, more often I have to try multiple times before it connects.
After the screen goes black the connection is terminated (a setting I read somewhere).
When the connection is lost it will not connect automatically I have go back to wifi settings.
Only one time it managed to connect automatically.

Our A7Home Tablet connects without any trouble, and so does our (ubuntu 10.04) netbook.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Some issues regarding video playback on A70

I have a collection of 3gp files taken on a Samsung Galaxy S which play without any problems at all. However 3gp files taken on a HTC Desire either don't play at all or the same file sometimes plays video but no sound. Get the "Cannot play video! Media server error" message.

Also when on beebplayer app, mPlayer app & UK live tv streaming site www.m.tvcatchup.com when I click on a video to watch I get the same Cannot play video! Media server error message. No such problems using my cheapo Android phone Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:31 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Softbuttons - not a bug, but a design error

I find the softbuttons more and more frustrating
Tried several games now, where navigation button for the game are located in the buttom corners and therefore in the buttom right corner are overlayed by the softbuttons, making the game very difficult or sometimes even impossible to play

Archos, please find a way to have the softbuttons dissapear during apps where they are not needed.
For instance you could assign the on/off button to turn off/on the soft buttons when an app is running and this way let the user manually deside if/when they are needed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

spawn wrote:
Softbuttons - not a bug, but a design error

I find the softbuttons more and more frustrating
Tried several games now, where navigation button for the game are located in the buttom corners and therefore in the buttom right corner are overlayed by the softbuttons, making the game very difficult or sometimes even impossible to play

Archos, please find a way to have the softbuttons dissapear during apps where they are not needed.
For instance you could assign the on/off button to turn off/on the soft buttons when an app is running and this way let the user manually deside if/when they are needed

AGREED! They need to get rid of the button bar and move the buttons to the notifcation bar like most android devices without physcal buttons are doing. Then there are a couple of designs to bring them back in full screen apps. it's not perfect but most apps can deal with the notification bar properly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
most android devices without physcal buttons are doing

:shock: there are other companies which used that design?

moving all the buttons to notification area sounds like a horrible idea :|

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi guys,
I'm new here ;)
bought the archos internet tablet,10.1 inch model in singapore,day before yesterday.
Got info that archos is bringing out froyo on dec 12th. =D>
Lets wait and watch :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Srirama wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm new here ;)
bought the archos internet tablet,10.1 inch model in singapore,day before yesterday.
Got info that archos is bringing out froyo on dec 12th. =D>
Lets wait and watch :)

That's what we do here.

:)