Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted part 2 of my video review: http://archosfans.com/2010/10/19/review ... et-part-2/

Testing some cool features, Dolphin Browser HD multi-tabs, video-chatting, RDP, Angry Birds and Burning Tires, I just did a 37 minute VOIP call using SIP on Fring and using my $8/month 1GB/month SIM card in my Huawei Mifi and it works pretty much perfectly. For some reason audio in Skype and in Fring video-chat is still buggy, but I am sure Archos will fix this in a firmware update imminently. Also see my part 1 of this video review.

pascanu wrote:
- can you please install Dolphin Browser HD and do some tests?
* Menu -> Settings -> User Agent : iPad
* then visit the Gmail mobile site; does it display like on the iPad? http://a.fsdn.com/gc/wp-content/uploads ... 80x392.png

* Settings -> Full screen mode
* load some tabs, wait for them to fully load, pull down from the top of the page (like pulling the notification bar which is not visible); you should see all your tabs loaded; how smooth is it?

TIA.

Thanks for suggesting this, this is in the start of my new video. Dolphin Browser HD seems to be very impressive! I love navigating between tabs with the volume buttons, pure awesomeness. Archos needs to provide full full screen mode, hiding the android buttons behind a short power button press or something.

pascanu wrote:
Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
RDP = Does android RDP allow 1:1 screen emulation with windows RDP? Does it pass multitouch controls to windows 7? Does it allow real time video streaming over the RDP (Win7->Win7 video/audio is perfectly synced and runs at full FPS even when in full screen). Essentially, i'm asking if i can use this tablet as a dumb terminal.

There are several very good RDP and VNC clients for android. The best I've come across is PhoneMyPc which does an excelent job at streaming live video but unfortunately it doesn't have support for sound (it's been promised for very long, hasn't happened yet).

RDP: http://www.cyrket.com/search?q=rdp&market=android
VNC: http://www.cyrket.com/search?market=android&q=vnc

Not sure if I tried the best RDP apps. I tried Remote RDP Lite and Wyse PocketCloud, couldn't get them to work perfectly, they work, but just not the right screen res or something, but it may be customizable in settings. Also in the video I remote desktop with Kyle on the other side of the planet, not best thing for showcasing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for posting the review videos, I have been waiting on the Archos 101 for a long time and after watching the videos on the 70 Im going to go stir crazy waiting for them to come out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

i want one now... (the 101!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll re-read through the review Part 1 thread. But if you would like me to test specific features, let's try to organize a list of features to test somehow, which would be the coolest things to show in the next video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Try a game with multitouch like toonwarz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Nice video Charbax! I can't wait for my 101 :D Do you like the way the 70 feels in your hands? Is it real comfortable?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ideas for part 3 video...

1) test out some comic reader app and read though some comics (manga, marvel/DC comics, etc)

2) if possible test using stylus like the one used for iPhone and iPad (will they work with this tablet too?) and test writing using some notes app if one exists.

can't think of some more atm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

bossyman15 wrote:

1) test out some comic reader app and read though some comics (manga, marvel/DC comics, etc)

2) if possible test using stylus like the one used for iPhone and iPad (will they work with this tablet too?) and test writing using some notes app if one exists.

Well this is a capacitive touch screen... a stylus wouldn't work right?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DIdn't think I could want this thing any more than I did but there you go!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

guitarplayer1950 wrote:
bossyman15 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

but if you google capacitive touch screen stylus you will see some stylus made for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

guitarplayer1950 wrote:
bossyman15 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Resistive stylus are plastic sticks to press down on the pressure sensitive screen.

Capacitive stylus are made from a material that has the same conductivity as your hand.

A toothpick wouldn't work on a capacitive, but a hotdog would (interestingly, they're using frozen hotdogs in the winter so they can use their iphones without taking off their mittens.)

Maybe he can try to test it with a hotdog?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:39 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hahahaha that's true... they do sell capacitive styluses, but I've heard they don't always work the best... is that true?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Not sure if I tried the best RDP apps. I tried Remote RDP Lite and Wyse PocketCloud, couldn't get them to work perfectly, they work, but just not the right screen res or something, but it may be customizable in settings. Also in the video I remote desktop with Kyle on the other side of the planet, not best thing for showcasing this.

Thanks a lot. That's the issue i was concerned about and why i was asking for a 1:1 screen emulation.

The RDP server can support any window size. Dual screened 1680x1050 (Great if your client has two monitors), all the way down to 480x320 (My ipod). The thing is, these mobile devices are small, so what they do is set the screen to something like 1024x768 and just let you flick around the oversized screen like a zoomed in picture. The downside is that because of this, you can't drag since the drag action will just trigger a pan.

With a tablet big enough for 1:1 screen emulation, i was hoping the touch inputs would be sent to the server properly so we can have proper drag and multitouch.

Was also hoping that the archos would be recognized as a tablet input but it apparently didn't trigger the Windows7 virtual keyboard, guess we can also scratch off the test for windows gestures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Thanks a lot. That's the issue i was concerned about and why i was asking for a 1:1 screen emulation.

The RDP server can support any window size. Dual screened 1680x1050 (Great if your client has two monitors), all the way down to 480x320 (My ipod). The thing is, these mobile devices are small, so what they do is set the screen to something like 1024x768 and just let you flick around the oversized screen like a zoomed in picture. The downside is that because of this, you can't drag since the drag action will just trigger a pan.

With a tablet big enough for 1:1 screen emulation, i was hoping the touch inputs would be sent to the server properly so we can have proper drag and multitouch.

Was also hoping that the archos would be recognized as a tablet input but it apparently didn't trigger the Windows7 virtual keyboard, guess we can also scratch off the test for windows gestures.

We just need one tablet optimized rdp/vnc client software for Android, don't we. It's maybe already available.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

charbax, thanks alot for the part 2..

I still reallyyyy wanna see how smooth the a70 is with LauncherPro set as the homescreen, think you can make a part 3 for us all while we wait for our amazing archos tablet? =)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you can't find capacitive stylus I sow a DIY version made of that protective bags for electronic parts, like hard drives, motherboards... just cat a small part and roll it, tape it and test it.
There are those protective foam for electronic parts, stick it as a tip of regular pen... check it out here or google it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YE8rGuLCtU&feature=player_embedded

That one is ugly build but you can use metal pencil and avoid that wire part...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
Charbax wrote:

We just need one tablet optimized rdp/vnc client software for Android, don't we. It's maybe already available.

I think it's the terminal server software that needs to be updated. Either that or we need a 1280x720 table screen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:

Yeah it's more of a software thing, but atleast i now know it's there. I'll have to look into that when i get mine.

The one i'm getting is the 101. So i'll be running on 1024x600. That's the same as a netbook.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi

Couldn't you test whether/how Evernote is working on the Archos 70? That would be nice because i'm thinking of using this device for taking notes at school :)

- Mads

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax - many thanks. I am very keen to seen how it works as a PDF reader, especially for (scientific) documents with multiple columns, figures etc. Any chance ?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next