Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am 

Bobo2000 wrote:
Like it, but not taking the risk. I'm good with Froyo right now.

It's still FroYo.

The ARCHOS firmware version is 2.3.72, but the ANDROID version is still on FroYo, not Gingerbread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Official ARCHOS, Inc. At this time there are no updates for the 5 or plans to move to 2.3 on the 70 or 101 18 hours ago

That was posted on their facebook so it looks like to get some ginger we need to go else where.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

macgyver40 wrote:
Official ARCHOS, Inc. At this time there are no updates for the 5 or plans to move to 2.3 on the 70 or 101 18 hours ago

That was posted on their facebook so it looks like to get some ginger we need to go else where.

I wish they would have officially said this a long time ago. It would have squelched a lot of the speculation running rampant on here (including my own!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

That facebook page is blowing up with disappointment LOL, I myself posted a long message but tried to remain respectful, others though are super pissed, I wonder if the posters will be ignored or if Archos will actually do something about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

If Archos is smart they will do something about it, that many bad comments is going to get noticed by others sooner or later and its just going to spread bad news for the brand something they can't afford.

Ar hos should be worried, they have a track record they need to clean up. Promising the facebook peepes this update is sure to please and it just didn't live up to the hype.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I still don't get why everyone is fighting and requesting gingerbread and not honeycomb? There hasn't been anything released by google that says honeycomb would not run on our devices' hardware, and if the software is for tablets, isn't that what we should be asking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't know why everyone is pissed at all about not getting a version update. Archos never said that the device was going to run anything past froyo so it is foolish to get upset when that is all the device gets. If you want to be upset about something, get upset about the buggy firmware updates and such.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Agreed. You cannot get upset with someone for not giving you what they never said they would give you. I understand getting annoyed with firmware updates that break as much as they fix. I would expect Archos to keep working to give the Generation 8s everything that was promised in more or less as promised condition. Besides that everything is bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I only want Flash GPU acceleration. Archos promised.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

joelo wrote:

When did they promise any more than we have?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gte105u wrote:
joelo wrote:

at the FAQ section of archos official site:

Q: Can users download games from outside of the Appslib store to play on their device ex: FlashÔäó-based games?
A: The internet tablets currently do not play .swf format files (FlashÔäó-based games). When version 2.2 of AndroidÔäó becomes available for the ARCHOS internet tablets, this will allow you to play on-line FlashÔäó games.

Q: Why canÔÇÖt I view web sites that have FlashÔäó video or FlashÔäó games?
A: When the update to AndroidÔäó Froyo (version 2.2) is available, you can update your ARCHOS device to this version of AndroidÔäó and it will have the FlashÔäó 10.1 player included which will allow you to play FlashÔäó video content and FlashÔäó games on the web.

... and if you look at the technical specifications of Archos 101IT you can see the application framework is now officially FROYO!

Now I ask again:

Where is the "promised" official Flash support that we supposed to have when Froyo is available?

Oh, if you mean with "what we have" is the buggy and super turtle speed flash, this is definitely not the FLASH they have promised!!!

The fact is they promised Flash support but "what we have" is some crippled, weird thingy that looks like Flash.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

They promised Flash support and we now have it. They didn't say we will have Flash with GPU acceleration or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry, I mean Adobe Certified Devices. Because these will open flash GPU acceleration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

TWG wrote:
gte105u wrote:
joelo wrote:

Q: Can users download games from outside of the Appslib store to play on their device ex: FlashÔäó-based games?
A: The internet tablets currently do not play .swf format files (FlashÔäó-based games). When version 2.2 of AndroidÔäó becomes available for the ARCHOS internet tablets, this will allow you to play on-line FlashÔäó games.

A: When the update to AndroidÔäó Froyo (version 2.2) is available, you can update your ARCHOS device to this version of AndroidÔäó and it will have the FlashÔäó 10.1 player included which will allow you to play FlashÔäó video content and FlashÔäó games on the web.

... and if you look at the technical specifications of Archos 101IT you can see the application framework is now officially FROYO!

Now I ask again:

Where is the "promised" official Flash support that we supposed to have when Froyo is available?

Oh, if you mean with "what we have" is the buggy and super turtle speed flash, this is definitely not the FLASH they have promised!!!

The fact is they promised Flash support but "what we have" is some crippled, weird thingy that looks like Flash.

We have Flash, they promised Flash. Most of us have had Flash for a long time. Some waited until it was on Appslib which has been for a while as well. A few would wait until it was officially included in the most recent firmware update. At this point no one has the slightest argument that Archos has not given what they promised. You may not be happy with the quality of what we have, and likely have reasonable arguments as to why. But Archos has now formally, officially, and without question given what was promised...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

gte105u wrote:

Now I ask again:

The fact is they promised Flash support but "what we have" is some crippled, weird thingy that looks like Flash.[/quote]
We have Flash, they promised Flash. Most of us have had Flash for a long time. Some waited until it was on Appslib which has been for a while as well. A few would wait until it was officially included in the most recent firmware update. At this point no one has the slightest argument that Archos has not given what they promised. You may not be happy with the quality of what we have, and likely have reasonable arguments as to why. But Archos has now formally, officially, and without question given what was promised...[/quote]

Ah I beg to differ, web based flash games don't work and they clearly stated they would. So that would be formally, officially and without question not given what was stated. At least in the USA thats called false advertising and isn't legal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Some flash games work on my 43IT. The other don't work just because I have nothing to steer with. If I would have a BT keyboard, I am pretty sure they would work.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

macgyver40 wrote:

Ah I beg to differ, web based flash games don't work and they clearly stated they would. So that would be formally, officially and without question not given what was stated. At least in the USA thats called false advertising and isn't legal.

Why can people never admit that they are wrong? Some Flash based games work. Some do not. As the poster said before me that depends on a lot of different factors. Archos cannot guarantee full compatibility with two different products they have no control over. They promised Flash, and the ability to play Flash games. We have that. You do not have to like the quality of what they provided, and that is your right as a consumer. You can voice your complaints in whatever way you choose, including not buying their products in the future. But when people make ridiculous claims that a company has not fulfilled a promise they clearly have then those people just diminish any point they are trying to make. There are a lot of things that you have a valid complaint with when it comes to the Gen8 devices (RAM, system storage, buggy firmware released, inability to rollback updates, RMA/customer service process, quality of Flash, time it took to get official Flash after Froyo)... but saying that we did not get Flash as promised is wrong and silly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The generation 8 devices have limited RAM. There is only about 100 Meg free on my A43 with no applications running. Gingerbread or Honeycomb may reduce this even further. Maybe Archos is protecting us by not upgrading Android from the Froyo version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jinx100 wrote:
The generation 8 devices have limited RAM. There is only about 100 Meg free on my A43 with no applications running. Gingerbread or Honeycomb may reduce this even further. Maybe Archos is protecting us by not upgrading Android from the Froyo version.

Gingerbread should eat as much RAM as Froyo did, but GB is a little bit faster...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have nothing to admit. I have tried facebook flash games, and done searches on google for flash games and have not been able to get them to work in the default browser or dolphin. They might work on the 43it but they do not on my 70s. So either do to poor hardware or software my unit will not play online flash games. I don't care but my wife does, I bought this after reading it would handle flash games and play videos it only does half that but most people don't depend on there tablet for their only internet comnection like I do which is due to an accident.

So I will admit this issue could be a hardware issue but either way archos is at fault and should fix it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 19 Next