Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

Is it really necessary to purchase the video cable from Archos in order to use the TV-Out feature? Can I purchase a generic TV video cable with connectors to the video and audio jacks for the A43VB from another place (ex. Circuit City)?

You see, when I tried using a video cable from a portable DVD player, the videos on my Archos did not show up on the TV screen properly. The image was black and white, and flickered vertically.

Basically, I'm trying to find out whether the cable is at fault or if there is a way to change the settings for my Archos from PAL to NTSC, so that videos play on my TV properly.

Thanks,
Marcel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One way to find out would be to purchase an additional cable from your local electronics or audio/visual store, one that isn't necessarily made specifically for your DVD player. If the problem persists with a different cable, then chances are you do need to purchase it directly from Archos. If the problem goes away, or if it changes, than it may not necessarily be that the DVD player cable is defective, it just means that it likely won't work with the Archos 43 Vision.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply.

I was also worried that if the cable and Archos are not to blame, then perhaps I need to reencode my videos so that their frame rates conform to NTSC rather than PAL.

Cheers,
Marcel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

it could be, I don't know how you would go about doing that, though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Basically, I would fiddle with the screen resolution and frame rates per second of the video encoding menu when I reencode. For example, if the original fps was 23.976, I may change it to 29.976 when I reencode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

a problem I found is that the plugs on the device are inset a bit, my senheiser headphones kept popping out as they were not in properly.
I got a belkin 3.5 jack to 3.5 jack cable for my car stereo which does the sound great, I then use a splitter for the 3.5 to phono for the tv. Then I use the yellow plug from my 3.5 to 3 phono lead from my camcorder and it works fine.

marcel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How is the image on the TV screen? Is the image flickering up and down? What are the specs of your video files? (frame rates per second, screen resolution, etc.)

Are you just playing files you downloaded from the internet, or did you have to reconvert/reencode them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

internet avi files were fine, a bit soft on a 28in crt tv screen but more than veiwable. I had a lot of problems with other formats playing and had to put them through pinnacle studio to convert them to a format that would play. It is a pretty basic unit for vidoe codecs and drove me mad!
I think I used mpeg2, and the pixels were the screen pixels size (may have been lower), can't remember the bit rate, but was low as well, too big and they wont playback!, some of the files ednded up bigger than the originals, but they played fine.
Yes, always make sure the video is rendered for the tv country it is playing on, uk tv is 25fps, not sure what ntsc is. B&W picture may be a result of incomapatible format. If I play a ntsc vhs tape on uk video, it goes black and white and flickers.
Make sure the cable is pushed in fully, as I said the plugs are recessed ,and the belkin one is the only one I have found that has a very narrow end to fit it.

hope this helps,
marcel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I pretty much had to reencode my avis so that they didn't choke when using the player. For videos, 768 kbps, screen res of 480 X 272 and 24 fps allows for as much picture quality and maximize memory capacity. However, if the result is a file 1 GB or bigger, the player is only able to play the file partially (not the entire screen time). In that case, I had to reduce the video rate or screen res so that the file was smaller.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll try getting new cables. Otherwise, I'll try reencoding to NTSC or NTSC film or get another TV (since I am using one from 1994.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought an $8 mini-HDMI to HDMI cable from Monoprice.
It worked just fine to display video from the 43 onto my HDTV.
I found that 720p videos looked the best, I suspect the 43 doesn't have the processing capability to properly scale lower-resolution videos.

I did purchase the $14 firmware/codec pack for the built-in/supplied video-player. That really provided much better results overall on video playback and also expanded capabilities to include VOB (DVD video) files.

HDMI carries both video and audio - not sure why you'd need a separate audio cable.

I did find it kind of kludgy trying to manipulate the video player while it was on TV-mode - and I couldn't easily scroll to find all of my video-files. But once I got things setup and working - the playback was beautiful. I wouldn't use it as my daily video-display device - but for travelling and being able to take a selection of movies on micro-SD cards and be able to play them back, that's a pretty neat feature.

I don't believe NTSC or PAL is at all applicable when we're talking about digital (HDMI) video - NTSC and PAL refer to analog broadcast formats.