Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can see this was an active forum but has tailed off recently and people who want to play with the inners of android have got themselves a nexus.

But now there is a new class of user, in the UK you can get one of these from pixmainia for about GBP60 delivered, which makes it a good possibility for a player for kids cartoons in the car etc - which is where I come in. And for me it needs to be able to browse a bit, I couldn't care less about you-tube but iplayer would be nice.

Out of the box the unit plays videos but cannot install any more apps, I don't know if it ever did or did the world moved under the device, so it needs an upgrade to get access to some apps.

I can see there are a great deal of different roms to choose from with a variety of caveats, but it is hard to make sense of them all. I went for "himself v0.28", which lets me install some apps but a lot do not work, and it still plays video, I was disappointed not to find an iplayer app.

So did I choose the right ROM, I would have liked to up the OS, but did I read rightly that Archos locked out the video acceleration hardware from later OS versions?

I saw one of the later OS roms will play videos, but without the hw does this mean is is slow or power hungry?

So if there is an old timer still around - comming in new now - to make a simple player/browser, what would you load?

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Even for £60 I could not recommend this "pad" to anyone. It has crappy hardware inside out and with no support at all from Archos the A7HT is almost useless. With himselfs ROM you should be able to get some apps from marketplace. Som videoplayers should work like mxplayer and meridian. Give them a try.