Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Rty Q wrote:
first i am dutch and 14 so bad english

but can somebody post some screenshots i would like to see what 2.2 looks like
(maby stupid but for 2.1 cant we just edit the v2 oficial rom?)

Don't worry about your English. I think we've had worse. ;)
As long as we are able to get what you mean this will be no problem.
For hard cases it is possible to use the Google translator, if you don't mind speaking English like Yoda :lol: . (Resetting the device you must.)

I would have loved to enter some screenshots of my A7 in the threads but this required the installation of the developing environment on the PC.
With my A70 IT 2.2.1 I now have an item in the settings (Applications/Development) where I can set the power button to take screenshots.

There must be a program .... Screenshot works only on rooted devices. Same with ShootMe.

But as the 2.2 is rooted this should be no problem. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

no one have problems with wifi?!? o0
for me it is not working so good like 2.1beta6s wifi. It is very flacky. i just give it 5or6 from 10 points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Location: Most popular lie on internet - "I searched and I could not find."
MrMSGMAIL wrote:
no one have problems with wifi?!? o0
for me it is not working so good like 2.1beta6s wifi. It is very flacky. i just give it 5or6 from 10 points

No problem with WiFi here.
Try to set WiFi chanell on the router less than 10 a quess, maybe 6 ?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all, and thanks for posting this ROM. I am still trying it out. But I was able to install and still trying to test mobo player. The one avi (divx or xvid) video I had on the SD card must have too high of a frame rate because the audio lags a lot. So I'm trying to test it with other video, but haven't been able to figure out how to connect it to the PC. The PC recognizes it as Archos 7, and I don't know how to change that to a generic USB mass storage. Can anyone walk me through that part? I have Windows 7 64 bit. I can connect to the network wirelessly but it is very slow trying to transfer files that way.

I was able to test Slacker Radio, it works well (though only tested for a few minutes, and I may have installed an older version.) So for those looking for Pandora, that might work also, but I just prefer Slacker, so I haven't tried to test Pandora.
Kindle app also seems to work ok. (Also a very short test).
I haven't done much testing in the browser yet.
I am also experiencing the screen wake up every few minutes again (maybe 30 minutes or so?). I'm not sure if this is related to some software I installed or it's the Archos itself.

Right now my biggest issue is connecting to the PC. If someone could help me through that, I would appreciate it. Thanks again for this ROM!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi kisrita.
Try the following. One thing is to draw down the notification bar and press "Enable USB" or similar, after you connected to the PC.
This would release the flash memory and the sd-card to be read/written by the PC.

If this does not work please take a look at the Windows Explorer if the you have "changeable media" available but can't access it/them. Please format in FAT32. Save your data from the sd-card first.

Last edited by asgarond on Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

shoutcast on winamp don't work.
soutcast on xiiaLive works but xiia and some other apps are not in fullscreen.

for the wi-fi problem:

@May: i tryed what you said but i found the problem:
Wifi settings have a hidden settings. Go to >wireless and network settings > wi-fi settings and use the soft manu-button go to >advanced settings, so now there is a wi-fi sleep policy and it is standard on "when screen turns off" then turn off wi-fi i changed it to never.
But i still dont understand why i cant connect back to the wifi after the connect is brocken. i have still the same password for my wi-fi it must be possible to dissconnect wi-fi and connect again or use the wi-fi sleep policy.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks asgarond, I didn't know the notification bar would act different when usb is plugged in. I think that would do the trick. Except I messed up something in Windows drivers, so I have to fix that now before I can connect.

But I did want to share that Appbrain, Amazon Appstore and Orb mobile work on this version. Orb mobile only sort of works. It's laggy and not all of my videos play. And those that play have pictures that isn't so great, which is not unexpected transmitting over the internet. But it's getting closer to where I need to be! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok - managed to connect the sd card to the PC, it stll won't see the Archos drive though.

I copied a couple more divx or xvid videos, both with framerates under 25, and they play, and the audio stays more or less in synch. The quality is watchable, but not as good as the original. I may just have to play around with the settings? The picture doesn't seem as smooth as it could be. It may be good enough for long flights though, I will have to try some more and see. I'm just happy I can have both the Kindle and some videos on the same device! :) Great job on getting this out there!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also have the issue with the wifi-connection.

When checking the wifi-stations in the settings i see that the device is connecting in a loop, but fails. If you hit the connection when it is in 'disconnected' state you can select the manual connect, and then the connection is succesfull...

It just is the auto-connect...

I also have another issue: Market...
I noticed that most applications i used before are no longer available. I liked tunein for example and most tools (wifiscanner, keep-my-screenon, etc) are missing as well.

But i still love the version!Best there is atm...

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

theike wrote:
I also have the issue with the wifi-connection.

When checking the wifi-stations in the settings i see that the device is connecting in a loop, but fails. If you hit the connection when it is in 'disconnected' state you can select the manual connect, and then the connection is succesfull...

It just is the auto-connect...

I also have another issue: Market...
I noticed that most applications i used before are no longer available. I liked tunein for example and most tools (wifiscanner, keep-my-screenon, etc) are missing as well.

But i still love the version!Best there is atm...

i have the same wifi issue???
Market issue: check the 1st post , archospapyo have the instruction to help you to show all the apps in market , and it work to me :D

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The most annoying thing is, that you loose your 8gb internal memory.

the /flash is the same folder than the sdcard. All other firmware mount the sdcard by mapping it as a folder in the /flash/sdcard - folder.

this firmware directs the /flash directly to the sdcard, resulting in loosing the full 8gb.

Another thing i have to add is, that it is really the same if you have 40mb or 230mb or 350mb app-space. YOu will never be able to install many bigger apps (for example txtr, aldiko and kindle together), because there is another yet unresolved counter or memory space, resulting in the "memory full" error.

However the 2.2 seems very promising and would be the best if the problems mentioned above could be solved. Being no programmer / hacker / geek i don't have the knowledge to change anything by myself. So i'm just reporting and hoping.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One more excited Archos 7 V1 user reports here, reflashed this version yesterday.
WHOA!!!

Minor glitches I stumbled across and my workouts for them:
- WLAN is OFF after reflash and every power cycle, and is not getting enabled ("error" when I tried to enable in Wireless Settings).
Workaround: from power-off menu (one that appears after sliging power/standby button to the left) select "Airplane mode ON" so all wireless is disabled, then go to main settings, enable it from there. It only worked this way for me.
- MAC address is shown as "Unavailable" in Wireless Advanced properties. Hopefully, some Unix guru can look into it.
Workaround: record it while you on the original firmware. A little bit of pain, but no problem.
- SD card sometimes not recognized after reboot or standby/wakeup. Workaround: remove the card, wait for some seconds until 2 messages appear in notification area: "SD card unexpectedly removed" and "SD card is now safe to remove". After that, insert the card back and wait for "preparing SD card" message, sometimes "update media library". If you don't see any, remove card and try again.
- The "USB storage in use" window changes to "USB connected" when I turn off USB sharing (as expected), but does not change or close when I unplug the USB and the icon disappears from the notification area. No big deal for me, but maybe it is somehow related to the USB availability issue? When someone works on this image to straighten it up, have a look in this direction.
- Browser crashes when finish drawing the start page, maybe when processing the location.
Workaround: stop loading this page, go to settings, enter "about:blank" as a home page. Did not disappear after I set up locations, google maps, etc.
- The list of sounds for ringtones, notifications, etc. is empty: there is only "Silent" in all lists. Not the deal breaker for me, but would be great to know what to do with it. The sounds and paths are listed in System Info reports (OGG files), so they are not shown in the list for some other reason. OGG codec misconfigured? Related to no volume buttons?
- Skype installs and launches, but cannot connect. Sad... It must be something in network configuration. I wish I knew more about unixes or hope there is some support thread for this image.
- Google Voice launches, goes through setup, connects, but cannot make calls, reports "audio problem" error (Flash is audible, though). Who managed it to work, can you share some experience?
- MoboPlayer displays black window if codec is installed, and unplayable slow if uses software rendering. Does anyone have different experience?

Question. What are the pros and cons between 1) flashing with driver and 2) putting the image to the root of sd card? The process displays different messages so there must be some difference. In which case the "2" is better than "1" ???

With all the above said, I absolutely LOVE this firmware and will continue struggling for make it more usable. Whoever contributed to it availability - MEGA respect!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For have a button physical "HOME" go to Spare parts- End button behavior and click "Goto home

kinda noob in rooting here & i have a question,

in installation, it says "flash original update.img archos (with RKANDROID)and install." do i have to revert my archos back to its original firmware? cause my archos is already rooted with knightdominion's.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Agree with Robert. It┬┤s a shame to loose the 8Gb internal memory. It┬┤s a lot of space to waste. :cry:
And some of my favourite apps are not running (like catch, for instance).

But if that┬┤s the price to pay for this huge advance on the Achos tablet. That┬┤s OK.

If someone could correct, or find a workaround for this problems (mainly tne internal memory issue). This ROM will be just perfect!

Thaks to all you guys that woked on this update

Mauricio

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As I understood from what was mentioned earlier, there is a /flash folder, which you can see with file manager, and it supposed to be linked to that missed space (now should be about 7.7 instead of 8Gb, as 315Mb was added to applications area). But instead it shows the contents of SD card.
It looks like configuration issue to me, related to mounting points or folder redirect, so I think if somebody very good with Linux checks all config files, the reason will be found. It may be either just /flash pointing to SDcard by some mistake (easier case), or because of all these changes in size of application area (apprx.32Mb in standard firmware ->315 Mb in this one), which will be harder to fix.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of Linux ends here :oops:, but I believe the issue will be resolved as soon as some guru finds time to look into it, so stay tuned to this thread!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

any help with my previous post? thanks, don't want to brick my archos

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wakatsik wrote:
any help with my previous post? thanks, don't want to brick my archos

as asgarond said, u need flash the original rom & format the sd card, it will make the sd card mode work on his rom :D
but it not work for me :P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@chriscsh

didn't work on you? could you please elaborate on this, did your archos got bricked?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wakatsik wrote:
@chriscsh

didn't work on you? could you please elaborate on this, did your archos got bricked?

not bricked my device :D
and everything work great, only the problem is i can't mount the device to my pc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What do you mean by "mount my device" - the main memory part (7Gb), or the SD card (size depends on what you inderted into card slot)?
For this firmware, the 7Gb part shows up as drive letter on a Windows PC, but this drive is not accessible ("no disk in drive" message), and this is a known issue, not resolved yet.
The SD card will show the same way, but when you find the "USB connected..." message in status bar on the device and click it, you will get to a full-screen dialog where you can click the "Enable USB disk access..." button (all messages are not exact wordings, just the general sense). Then the contents of SD card becomesvisible on PC under a different drive letter than main storage. This is how it works for me.
Sometimes the message about connected USB does not show up. If it happens, check if File Manager can see the card on the device (it disappears sometimes on my one). You may need to shutdown and restart the tablet, or reinsert the card, or reconnect the cable, or do it all - at some moment you will notice this message.
Hope this helps.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next