Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: kindle app
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an Archos 7 home tablet. I can't figure out how to download the kindle app & tech support didn't seem to have a clue. Can anyone help me?

Post subject: Re: kindle app
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:26 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I looked it up and Kindle needs Android 1.6 to run. If you have the V1 with stock ROM you have 1.5.
So it will not show in the applibs or even in the Android market if you have a 1.5 custom ROM.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have Android 2.1 Eclair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just received my Archos 7 (Eclair) tablet. It's Model A70BHT, 8 GB, Firmware version 1.0.0. I managed to get the Kindle app totally by guesswork. Somehow, I got the Amazon store onto the tablet - thru the applib, I think. Then I kept typing in Kindle until I got a screen that let me download the Amazon Kindle. I've put two book on the Archos as a trial today, and it works fine.

I still don't understand how to put movies onto the tablet. Can anyone help me? As you can tell, I need the instructions to be in basic simple language - think of it as telling your great-grandmother how to do it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It sounds like we have the same one. I'm still unable to get the Kindle on mine. I have no idea what I'm doing obviously. I could be the GREAT grandmother!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ok, let me do the steps for grandmothers :D

1. Do you have a micro SD-card for you device (memory to be inserted into the slot next to to the power switch) ?

See here a micro SD-card with SD adapter.

If you have one put it in (I think it should be face to front) and push it carefully until it clicks in.
If you have none, buy one (8 to 32 GB make sense, dependend on what you would like to put on it).
It should be formattted in FAT32. You can see this by putting the card in the card-reader of your PC (take the SD adapter if necessary).

2. You can now either directly put the movie on the card from your PC or have the card inserted in your Archos and connect it to the PC. The external drives showing up in the explorer belong to the flash ram and the sd-card. First method will be easier and quicker.

3. When you reenter the card into the Archos the media library will be updated. If you now start your music/video/media-player it will list up the corresponding files. Tap to start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks. I could probably handle this movie download with your instructions - if I knew how to get them on to my home computer first???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think this is how I got the Kindle to my tablet: Amazon.com: Appstore for Android. There seems to be as hiccup every so often. I had a book on the tablet, and the next time I tried to read it, I had a message that I would have to remove it and download it again. But it does work, and I do have a book on the tablet that I downloaded from Kindle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Another hint for you two (and probably for everyone else who reads this thread :D ).

I am using a software (freeware) called Calibre.
If you happen to come across some ebooks (free or any other 8) ) as PDF-documents, you can easily transform these into the .epub-format with this software.
You can add the cover and edit all the tags that show up later in the ebook-reader.

Highly recommend even for unskilled users.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've downloaded Calibri into my home computer, moved a book from my Kindle library into the Calibri site, clicked on the "Convert E-Book" button and watched the wheel turn. To move the book to the reader, I connected the Archos7 to the computer. Nothing. Where is the "Send to Device Button" supposed to appear? (From instruction book: "Once youÔÇÖve admired the list of books you just added to your heartÔÇÖs content, youÔÇÖll probably want to actually read one. In order to do that youÔÇÖll have to convert the book to a format your reader understands. When first running calibre, the Welcome Wizard starts and it will have setup calibre for your reader device. Conversion is a breeze, just select the book you want to convert, and click the ÔÇ£Convert E-bookÔÇØ button. Ignore all the options for now and just click ÔÇ£OKÔÇØ. The little icon in the bottom right corner will start spinning. Once itÔÇÖs finished spinning, your converted book is ready. Click the ÔÇ£ViewÔÇØ button to read the book.

Now if you want to read the book on your reader, just connect it to the computer, wait till calibre detects it (10-20secs) and then click the ÔÇ£Send to deviceÔÇØ button. Once the icon stops spinning again, disconnect your reader and read away! If you didnÔÇÖt convert the book in the previous step, calibre will auto convert it to the format your reader device understands."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you are trying to use Calibre to convert an ebook purchased from Amazon, it won't work. Calibre is great at converting pretty much any format, but not if the file is DRM protected. Amazon books are DRM protected so you can only read them on Kindles or Kindle applications. The same is true for any ebook purchased from Barnes & Noble and probably every e-book vendor. However, there are tons of free books on the internet that are legally available and can be converted to pretty much any format using Calibre so you can read them on pretty much any device.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the apk file on a sd card but can't install it. It can't be installed. I have Android 2.1 eclair. Help!