Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Version 1.2

Minor update:

• Included apktool functionality when extracting apk files, allows for code editing and .xml file changes. Save menu updated to repack from that.
  • Added in some more images for logos.
  • Add in modules menu item to copy modules into the firmware.
  • Added in aufs support, type "aufs --enable" to activate from adb or software terminal and reboot. this gives you read/write overlay on /system. Works well with Market.apk from Cletus 0.28.

Note: If you are using a partition on the sdcard, be sure to reformat it, some changes were made to sysinit and the data2ext script that might conflict with previous version. To be more phone compatible, I created a /mnt/asec mount point using a tmpfs, just somewhere you can create a dir and hang a mount off of it.

Seems to be coming along nicely, just about feature complete. I am using a firmware I created using it that has a system read/write partition using aufs, and I have 1.2GB of app space running off a 8 GB sdcard.

Download it here.

Version 1.1

Minor update:

Removed requirement to install wine, native code for repacking update.img created.

Download it here.

Version 1.0.1

Minor update:

Fix update script.

Download it here.

Version 1.0

Initial Release:

Hi,

This is a kitchen of sorts for Version 1 A7HT tablets, it allows you to root the stock firmware, apply a custom logo, and edit apk's (just images for now, xml files are signed, apk manager can be used for that). I have also implemented a version of init.d support, which runs scripts one by one at boot from /system/etc/init.d (or actually it runs them from /data/local/init.d after being copied from /system/etc/init.d, the point being you can add more after flashing). I have several example scripts, the more important one being data2ext. After flashing the firmware you create, you can enter in "data2ext --enable" from a shell, reboot and your data partition will now run from your sdcard, --disable to go back. Of course you have to format your sdcard to have a second partition in ext2 format for this to work, if you are in linux using this you just have to bring up gparted or drive utility to do that. I personally have 1GB of space for applications now, running from a class 6 sdcard that is faster than the internal memory, and I don't have to deal with bad blocks. Oh, and /data/data is no longer a limiting factor as well.

I have only tested this on ubuntu 10.10, it may or may not work in a virtual linux environment under windows. This is all shell scripts using "dialog" (curses based message box system), you can add your own scripts (for the utility) to extend it (this) further.

To use it, just click on the menu file and select run in terminal window or enter ./menu from a terminal. It will check for required files (dialog, zip, wine, cramfsprogs) and install them if necessary. From there it's a series of menu choices, pretty much in order of how you'd use them, if your tablet is connected it will copy the update.img file over and ask you if you want to flash it.

Few non obvious things, you have to extract the firmware every time, even though you may have done it before. The first time you extract an update.img, it generates all the files and creates directories from the boot.img, recovery.img, system.img files. When you select save, the folders go back to being img files. When you extract an apk file, the folder is in the system folder under app, you make your changes and when you select save, the folder is converted back into the apk file. When you select exit, the folders for the image files are deleted, any changes are lost unless you have saved them. The file select dialog for the boot logo png file is kinda half baked, cursor up, select a file in the current directory using the spacebar and hit enter. There is a sample png file included to get you started.

Todo:

• Test the update checking script more.
  • Add script to add in Google App files.
  • Change bugs I haven't found yet.
  • Make it more compatible with configurations I don't use or know about.
  • Add support for other tablets, input appreciated.

Credits:
  • xda-developers.com
  • Blayo's B7 firmware for the htc legend, I stole his init.d scripts pretty much.
  • DSIXDA's htc phone kitchen for the general inspiration for this.

Cheers!

Download it here.

Last edited by Himself on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:57 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Placeholder thread.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Are you sure?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

WOW !
Now this would be a reason for me to get aquainted with Linux.

So it is possible to root even images from custom ROMs ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

You can possibly root custom roms, it depends on what version of Android you are talking about, if it's 2.x then the su and SuperUser.apk files in the bin folder would have to be replaced with newer ones, that's about it. Makes me wonder why it isn't rooted if it's a custom rom. Also there is the assumption that busybox is installed at system/bin and contains run-parts and a few other things. My freaky firmware 0.28 etc with the partitioning and system read-write hackery won't work, the standard folder organization is changed, /etc is a link up to /.android for instance. (strangely enough, the data2ext bits are similar in nature to what I was using for system read/write, it too can possibly be added as a script in init.d to have it on the sdcard, data can for sure because it's android data and up to that point no files have been opened, so no open file handles).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Good job dude. Is nice to see people working on great projects like this ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Your such a smart arse :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It seems to work fine on my Linux server running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, my linux laptop running Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 10.10 running inside VirtualBox on my MacBookPro and it might be relatively easy to modifiy/port it to run on MacOSX as well. I examined your menu script and it can be adapted for MacOSX (= BSD).

Off course I didn't do "the proof of the pudding" by flashing my device as I don't have a V1.

Very nice piece of work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

Thanks, I will likely be looking into supporting the V2 as well, I am also curious if it would work properly on the 8" V1 tablets and the 2GB variety where having data on an sdcard makes even more sense.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hvdwolf wrote:
I examined your menu script and it can be adapted for MacOSX (= BSD).

I forgot one thing. cramfs is already very old (2002) and noone ever bothered to port it to osx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

There is not much to cramfs tools, was looking at the source yesterday, couple of files, that's it, only real dependency is zlib. We are not mounting a file system on the PC, just extracting and compressing, so it shouldn't be that difficult to port if necessary.

Cheers!

PS. Version 1.1 has a rkpack.c file that gets compiled into rkpack, the pack.exe windows executable has been removed and the menu script modified to not install wine. I did tests with both and they produced binary exact copies of each other with the latest Archos firmware. The code could use some cleaning up, but it works. I learned that the parameter file gets a crc embedded inside it, as well as the entire file, the exact same crc method used for the .img files.

EDIT: Updated 1.1 to account for folders with a space in them, also made the example png file 8 bit to make the archive smaller. Only thing of any real size left now is the adb.exe file, which isn't necessary if you have the sdk installed of course.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Status on V2 support:

Since the system.img is encrypted, I would have to add a link to a file other than the Archos site to a file containing a pull from a stock V2. Right now you can simply copy a file into the OriginalRoms folder and continue from there, but the stock one won't have the system folder extracted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very useful utility. Thanks. I played with it on the Android 2.1 versions, but suspect I'll stick with a custom 1.5 for now.

I had some problems with it functioning (installed on Linux Mint 10). I believe that the save and export scripts don't properly "pop" some directory changes (cd), which means that subsequent scripts then fail. I've attached the patches I made (in red), with a little bit of context.

Also, a useful usage note is that the image names in the OriginalRoms folder must NOT have any spaces in them.

In 95save.sh,
Code:
   res=$res"Image files updated..\n"

cd ../..                                              <-- added line

else

In 96export.sh,
Code:
                  res=$res"flashing update.img..\n"
               fi
            fi         
         fi

cd ..                                 <-- added line

fi
   fi
else

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

Glad it was of some use to somebody. :) The cd .. stuff "shouldn't" matter because the menu script cd's to the root folder after each execution.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i implemented init.d on froyo 2.2 and also have an ext2 partition on my sd-card but if i write in shell

>data2ext --enable

i get

>[: not found
>[: not found

also the same for aufs --enable

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

I replied via pm, but for anyone else reading, [ is actually a command in busybox, just do a ln -s busybox [ from system/bin.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

This scrip is amazing, thank you Himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:33 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You're welcome. :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Can a windows version of this app be made.Is it possible?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

Windows is bat file hell, you end up having a bunch of ported linux utils and hacky batch files or a linux like shell with the same. Best to just use linux in the first place.

Cheers!