PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Updated.

Thanks, fessor. =D>

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond I think that the Which custom ROM to take - table should become a sticky , a quick reference without reading down through the forum and not knowing which thread to read,,just a suggestion.
and it wont take any one here to long before they are not a noob any more..lol.. great ,,no the best help and all the info you could possibly require to figure your Archos out...

" You will never truly Know or understand unless you do it for yourself.
Reading by it's self is just not enough, Make do with what you got, don't
have all the parts you need, make them,,don't have the tools to make the
parts,,make the tools first..and never give up.."

The Mad Pro Fessor 2011

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Folks,

Good news!
One of the drawbacks of the best (IMHO) firmware you have here (archospapyo 2.2 update 1 with 314 MB, aka "7HTv1_2.2b1update.img", size 56594436) is gone.
It is possible to get one of two drives available in Windows.
Please update the summary table in the beginning of the thread.

Details:
- Only SD card is accessible. Main 7Gb storage is still not recognized, Windows cannot even format it ("there is no disk in drive"). Though, no big deal for me.
- Seen with Windows Vista 32bit, did not check XP, but expect the same.
- This may be related to some or all of:
1) disabling USB debugging,
2) enabling non-market applications,
3) killing all applications with Advanced Task Killer before plugging the USB cable.
The "enable USB storage" window did not show up after boot, but it started to appear after I did all 3 things listed above. Rebooted (full power cycle) several times, reproduction stable :)

Oher glitches and workouts on the same image:
- WLAN is OFF after reflash and every power cycle, and it is not possible to enable it ("error" when I tried to enable in Wireless Settings). Workaround: from power-off menu (one that appears after sliging power/standby button to the left) select "Airplane mode ON" so all wireless is disabled, then go to main settings, enable it from there. Only worked this way for me.
- MAC address is shown as "Unavailable" in Wireless Advanced properties. Hopefully, some Unix guru can look into it.
- SD card sometimes not recognized after reboot or standby/wakeup. Workaround: remove the card, wait for some seconds until 2 messages appear in notification area: "SD card unexpectedly removed" and "SD card is now safe to remove". After that, insert the card back and wait for "preparing SD card" message, sometimes "update media library". If you don't see any, remove card and try again.
- The "USB storage in use" window change to "USB connected" when I turn off USB sharing (as expected), but does not change or close when I unplug the USB and the icon disappears from the notification area. No big deal for me, but it may be somehow related to this "Drives available in Windows" ex-problem. If someone will work on this image to straighten it up, have a look there.
- Browser crashes when finish drawing the start page, maybe when processing the location. Workaround: stop loading this page, go to settings, enter "about:blank" as a home page. Hope it disappears after I setup locations, google maps, etc - I need this feature...
- The list of sounds for ringtones, notifications, etc. is empty: there is only "Silent" in all lists. Not the deal breaker, but would be great to know if I can fix it myself.
- After installing a bunch of apps, I cannot make portrait screen orientation persisitent: it changes but immediately returns back to landscape. Same question: where to start from???
- Looking into storage section in system options, seems the main 7Gb section is not listed anywhere... not mounted? not formatted? Same question.
- Skype installs and launches, but cannot connect. Sad... It must be something in network configuration. I wish I knew more about unixes or hope there is some support thread for this image.

With all the above said, I absolutely LOVE this firmware and will continue struggling for make it doing what I need. Whoever contributed to it availability - MEGA respect!!!
Thanks guys, it all made my weekend =D>

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK ready to change my firmware but having a little problem:
Currently using one of the custom firmwares here: 7HTv1_2.1b6_mem230mb.img

when I upgraded it all I had to do was rename the img file to update.img and drop it into the root of my tablets memory. This worked perfectly for me.

Now I am trying to revert to factory and I cannot. The above method doesn't work. I tried using the RKAndroid program and it doesn't see the Archos 7HT (vesrion 1). I tried installing adb drivers and windows 7 wouldn't recognize them... a little help would be great... just would like to go back to stock.

Windows does see the 7HT as two drives... internal memory and the mini-sd card.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

photodude wrote:
OK ready to change my firmware but having a little problem:
Currently using one of the custom firmwares here: 7HTv1_2.1b6_mem230mb.img

when I upgraded it all I had to do was rename the img file to update.img and drop it into the root of my tablets memory. This worked perfectly for me.

Now I am trying to revert to factory and I cannot. The above method doesn't work. I tried using the RKAndroid program and it doesn't see the Archos 7HT (vesrion 1). I tried installing adb drivers and windows 7 wouldn't recognize them... a little help would be great... just would like to go back to stock.

Windows does see the 7HT as two drives... internal memory and the mini-sd card.

Follow my tutorial.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I have my archos 7 now for half a year, and am sorry to say I'm not using it.

I was hoping to sit back and have fun with this device.

It's not so smooth on the Internet and I can't see page's using flash.

The other problem is watching movies from an SD card or using streaming.

I did read a lot, but I can't figure out what to do.

I like to see this internet this page (the graphics)
http://zonnepanelen.info.tm/maandoverzicht.php
on my archos, what can I do or must I change on the firmware (what firmware is the best for this) and application.

And is than still possible to play a movie on the archos using streaming or using an microSD card.

I was stupid bying it because they told me that I could surf with the archos 7, but they did not tell me that a lot of page don't work.
And playing youtube is also not possible, I was thinking that also was a part of surfing, playing movies.

Any advice is welcome, If I could monitor the internetpage that would be great start and somtime a movie that is than perfect.

But now I think that none of this is gone work.

TXS

W.f.r.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi Peter,

for flash you need at least the Android 2.1. But with this firmware you will not be able to watch youtube, not yet.

If you want it all, you will have to do what I did. Sell the HT on Ebay and buy a IT. Of course that's a bit more money but in my opinion it was worth it.
While thinking about it you could try the last 2.1 version (beta 6) and install flash to see if it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I posted this in another forum but in regards to the video issues, has anyone tried using other alternate video players?

I understand the reason that Android versions greater than 1.5 don't have access to the video hardware because Archos has encrypted it and will not release the code to access it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond,

TXS for the info.

WFR

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed the specailb 2.1 beta6. everything works great with the exception of video (of course)
Using it mostly as a MID and MP3 player
It is really nice being able to browse the market and send apps to the device

I've used other custom ROMs (mostly knightdominion ) but most apps are for 1.6 and up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can you add the yar's maybe and also idk if the cyanogen is working with flash, and i want a cyanogen with bells and whistles + old market? is that possibble requesT?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you soooooooooooo very much for this thread. I just got my A70HB and it has 2.1 Eclair already installed. Firmware 1.0.15 and kernel 2.6.25. I'd like a 1.6 to 2.1 rom with Market,video,and more interal RAM. 1.6 would be better as I want to install Amazon Kindle. My question is can you put the rom on a sd card directly from a link? My device I bought lacks a usb cord.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond wrote:

If anyone is interested in testing more items than the listed ones please append your requests below in a post.

(Or if any of them are obviously wrong please tell me)

Asgarond thanks. I had to quote this post.
I am gonna try Speciallb's 2.1 beta 5 rom.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate a lot your effort, comparing different firmwares takes soooooo long!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you decide to take one of the rom's that does not have (all) the google apps you would want, there is a relative easy way to get them all.

You will notice you can't download the missing apps from the market by default. But luckily the vendors of the hardware do need to publish the firmwares. They are not easy to find, but for example HTC does offer the images for most android releases. This are 'full' releases, all features included. As the google apps are not part of the kernel, but are installed on first power-on they are included as APK in the image.

'just' download the image for your release (firmware version) and extract the image (using unjaffy), so the APK's are available (they are in the 'system'-image). Put the APK on a SD and start it. Soon after you have working maps, calendar and gmail operational. Sometimes you will have to check what add-on modules are needed if these are not present on your device, like the calendar helper service.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After reading this topic i realize there is no good working ROM for A70HB.
Anny suggestions which rom is better?
thanks in advance
regards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hello folkes,

I will not be able to update this thread anymore since I sold my A7HT in change for the A70 IT.
So if anyone of you wants to keep up the testing, I could send the Excel file I generated to get the table for reference.

So long

Asgarond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello, does anyone still have a copy of the rom "archospapyo (Beta 6 with 230 MB)"?

I would really need a 2.1 rom that is rooted.

Thanks,
-Bloc97

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also need this file: 7HTv1_2.1b6_mem230mb.img please !
all links are dead !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i need too "archospapyo (Beta 6 with 230 MB)". someone have find it?