Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond wrote:

I will not flame anyone here, nor did I read about any threads where this happened. So just lean back, relax and watch the discussion :D .

All of these custom ROMs are, of course, to improve the abilities of the device. The standard ROM being delivered with the device (1.5) is capable of nearly everything (music, WIFI, video) but
- Google market place
- more space for applications
- apps above 1.5
- root rights

So if your stress is on video you will have to stay at the original ROM or take one of the modded 1.5s.

If you want to work with a lot of apps (over 20 MB) then you must take a custom ROM.

If you want to use apps higher than 1.5 you have to take a modded ROM higher than 1.5. But then you loose the video ability, as the dsp ddriver seems to be encrypted and has not been able to be compiled for the higher versions.

Awesome. Glad to know there are some nice people on the internet. :D

So basically I should probably just leave my Archos alone, huh? I'm not looking to instal a ton of apps. Actually the apps I have are just about all I need. I don't know what root access is or why I would need it and the Google Market place would be great but I guess I can live without it.

I guess my ultimate question then is there a ROM where I can get Flash AND Video or is that not possible?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

twopossums wrote:
I guess my ultimate question then is there a ROM where I can get Flash AND Video or is that not possible?

Flash, as I read it here in the forum, requires Android 2.1. The only 2.1 available is custom ROM which does not contain hardware assisted video - yet.
So these two options (Flash/Video) contradict each other at the moment for the V1.

The V2 comes with 2.1 from stock. So there Flash should be possible, but they also seem to have some problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah the v2 is what I have so I had some hopes. Oh well. It would be nice but not the worse thing in the world. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

But having the V2 you are in the wrong forum ;) .
Don't you dare to take one of the custom ROMs from this forum [-X .
You'll probably brick it.

Go here and have a look. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond wrote:
AkoZ wrote:
is there advantages to a newer android version or not = cyanogen is experimental but unusable too... ?

Our HT V1 only has 600 MHz. V2 is 800 MHz and the A7 IT has 1 GHz.
The 1.6 was a good alternative, but is still experimental....
The cyanogen 2.3 was also a choice. ... the "riped out" 1.5s (KnightDominion and Himself) and the "getting better and better" 2.1 on the base of speciallb (still no video).

hey thanks a lot, of course :D that's this stressed CPU i would point out .. but then ..
i've installed the 028 himself instead of dominionv03 .. and it's clear that it is a good and clean version: install has been very easy and with no hard inside..(in fact my SD card 2Go was reluctant (..??)but a min 512Mo one formatted in FAT32 has resolved..) - sleep is easy and functionnal and best : the tablet is faster, then close in seconds ! ;) (ask myself if it is due to the old google apps(maps..all) there, i've "splaffed" away ??)
i use the tablet with "tons" of app .. yep, but would like youtube or any video streaming enabled-ok i've seen the "blocked" coding of any new ver.. shame...
* an alternative app for the youtube use: but strangely not good searching is: videobox ..
i'm a bit tempted to use the specialbb, but ? if it's slower ??
* is there a compare/usability/spedd/perf/apps thread on ROMS out of this one ?
* perf compared from himself to specialbb: which is the best ?? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

AkoZ wrote:
* is there a compare/usability/spedd/perf/apps thread on ROMS out of this one ?
* perf compared from himself to specialbb: which is the best ?? ;)

I was thinking of doing something like this when I created the table on the first page.
But this, of course, will need a definite and realistic testing procedure. The impressions I uttered in the posts before are more or less subjective :^o .
As I am an engineer myself I would not offer this as a proper test. What you need is figures.

So if anyone of you in this forum has any suggestions on what to test in such a procedure, you will be welcome to tell me. :D

Last edited by asgarond on Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i supposed the first table on this thread tries to resolve some of the questions to find the good choice of ROM..
* in fact there is a broken end with the hardware video coding also the 2.1 android ver is till in "stop".
* but the new rom specialbb b6 may have some better effects ? speed ? compared to the ROM selected in 1.5 (himselfv028)
* fluidity and freezes seem important factors ... as video using too
* ... tests between some "big" app to compare easily
* some dev apps with android may be used to count times spent for optimizing apps ? no ?

* "himself 028" is for "Yet Another Root V0.28" ,then i just see on the "about" of my tablet:
** firmware version: 1.0.15 (hey the archos ver !!?)
** core ver: 2.6.25
** build n┬░: RK-1.2.9.eng.root.20100728.160408 ... why no ref about this ROM ??
** splash screen just indicate archos ref.. but ok it is similar to this shown in the forum ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

It's not a bug, it's a feature :D .

I think himself just took the base ROM from Archos and developed it without changing the information in this file.
So it displays as the same ROM version. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by asgarond on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yep seems that in the YAR (himself) thread, an other one asks ... :roll:
and on the YAR thread i can just quote:
* hippie69 said: "as much as 2.1 was nice it was really slow on these v1's going back to YAR from that made this tablet feel like it was flying. " .. also may be the answer.
* but which ROM uses the DSP for the videos ? as always is remarked about stock/software(?) of the videos...
* Youtube app from google came with the froyo (android 2.2) and not 2.1 ... !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

The packaging tool I and everyone is/was using doesn't seem to update the version when you repack the files. The version is stored in 4 bytes in the first part of the file. (1 0 0 F gives you 1.0.0.15). The rkpack.c file I did up for my custom rom utility just makes it the same, so instead of showing version 0.0, it will show the same version info as stock.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can I install GAPPs in HIMSELF v0.28?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oke, I tryed difrent firmwares, but by accident I put on 2.3 gingerbread on my archos7 home tablet v1.
Now is the problem that i can't acces the sd card and i cand acces the device by using USB cable.
If i connect the archos on my laptop with USB then I see the archos but i can't acces the harddrive and the sd card.
I tryed also to mail(internet wordks) litle programs but i get the anouncement "could not parse the download??)
I want to kick of the 2.3 but how can I connect the device to put on the right firmware??
Regards, and sorry if this is not the right place to put this question on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Don't worry. I also had the 2.3 installed and managed well to go back to any other ROM.
If you have no access to the flash and sd-card it might be useful to format them in Windows in FAT32.

The other way would be working with RKAndoid which turned out to be the simplest way once the USB-driver had been installed correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oke, thanks for now but arkanoid doesn't see the device also(sorry for bad englisch) so i gonna try again.
It seems that gingerbread locket down the device one way or another and the are no settings to de-lockking.
But i'll gona try again.
thanks for verry fast answer, super!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, works again, thanks for your help!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Glad I could help you :) . Enjoy your device.

Post subject: create a current image
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I want to try some of the other firmwares even though I'm somewhat happy where I am with my archos ATM... how can a create an img on the current state (save state) for restoring later if I need or want to.

Sorry this is probably a noob question... but searching the forums has been a daunting task looking for information on this... maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing... Thanks in advance (TIA).

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I looked for that too, when I was trying all the different ROMs.
I found a programm called ROM Manager.
Sounded perfect for my needs but unfortunately requires root.

So for every ROM that is not rooted it will not work.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

CdnBison wrote:
Currently running Himself's ROM, and am very happy with the functionality. Ideally, this will convince the Mrs. that we should get a better one, with more functionality later this summer (i.e. Gen9 ;-)

The Archos 70 IT (Gen8) is already miles away from the HT. It gives me everything I need (at the moment :D ) at a reasonable speed. Should be rooted though but with the latest update I closed that possibility.

I have added archospapyo's new edition 2.2 to my list. Still have to put it in the table.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond wrote:
CdnBison wrote:
Currently running Himself's ROM, and am very happy with the functionality. Ideally, this will convince the Mrs. that we should get a better one, with more functionality later this summer (i.e. Gen9 ;-)

The Archos 70 IT (Gen8) is already miles away from the HT. It gives me everything I need (at the moment :D ) at a reasonable speed. Should be rooted though but with the latest update I closed that possibility.

I have added archospapyo's new edition 2.2 to my list. Still have to put it in the table.

Android version 2.2
Google Market Yes
App memory 314
Flash Memory yes
Sdcard yes
Drives in windows Not yet
Video (avi/divx/mp4) Yes(with moboplayer software decoding)
Audio Drop-outs
Rooted Yes
Pre installes apps Yes and superuser
WiFI yes
Install opera mini 5 Yes
Flash 10.1 Not tested
GAPPS yes