Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

***updated 16.05.2011***

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and spent a lot of time reading since I bought an Archos 7 HT last week on ebay.
Before betting I read on the Archos site about the device (800 MHz, Android 2.1 Eclair) realising too late that my one was Cupcake 1.5.
But when I came to this page I saw that there is a big community with the V1 and that most of the custom ROM just deal with the old one.

On the other hand, creeping through all the threads (at least of the first 4 pages) I realised that there is a huge variety of ROMs and coders and I found it very difficult to make a decision which one to take. A couple of people started to create custom ROMs with many different Android SDks. But I read a lot of "alpha" and "beta" and "just for the curious user". With the expression "at your own risk" I can live but it should not be a russian roulette.
So please forgive me if I put a list in this thread that will hopefully help me and possibly any other newcomer. Please correct me, if I messed something up.

Android-Version - Coder (latest edition)

1.5 Original Archos ROM 1.0.15 (Build 0728)

1.5 Cupcake - Himself (V 0.28), VDelf, KnightDominion (V 03)

1.6 Donut - chriscsh (beta 1)

2.1 Eclair - speciallb (Beta 3), may (230mb app space), speciallb (Beta 5 with 230 MB), archospapyo (Beta 6 with 230 MB)

2.2 Froyo - theplague (2.2 alpha), archospapyo (2.2 update 1 with 314 MB)

2.3 Gingerbread - Kornyone (2.3 alpha 2), may (cyanogen 7)

I skipped sean and his 2.1. What he said seemed to be very professional, but as he is off the forum either he was not telling the truth or his company told him not to spread anything on the net they have paid for.

So the question for me is, which if the versions (except Himself's V0.28) are stable and quick enough for my purpose?
My former intention was to use it as an ebook-reader, but some other widgets would be fine too. watching movies will not be fun, which version I would ever take I think. That's the 600MHz processor.
But using Flash on the internet and being able to rotate the screen would be benefits. And of course the big application memory will be a must.
So perhaps I should generate a table with the custom ROM versus the original ROM showing the benfits of each version (like the table from Archos comparing the HT and the IT).

Flashing the ROM
For flashing the ROM just copy it into the root directory of your flash card when being connected in Windows or use the following guide with RKAndroid.

/Edit 09.03.2011
Meanwhile I installed the Himself V 0.28 and it seems to be a bit smoother than the original. Big application memory is fantastic (thanks Himself), but the music player has some drop-outs in-between. Nothing you can relax with hearing music. Will it be better if I load it directly from the internal memory instead of the SD-card ?
E-book reader Aldiko 1.2.13 works fine and thanks to "Calibre" it is possible to transfer simple PDF-books to the epub-format.

/Edit 17.03.2011
After all the flashing I went back to speciallb's Beta 3. Although it does not assist video it serves my needs best.
And I am waiting for the next update and will install lefeudedieu's flash.apk in the meantime.

/Edit 19.03.2011
Today Himself added a piece of software that makes it possible to create one's own firmware based on the original.
See here for the thread.

/Edit 23.03.2011
Today maxitron upped the 230MB version of speciallbs 2.1 Beta 5.
I updated that in the link above. Will test it this evening.
Also pay attention to the guide from RobertAsticles (three posts above) on how to proceede before applying this ROM

/Edit 01.04.2011
Today archospapyo upped a Beta 6 of the 2.1 with less errors and being rooted.
directly checked that. Looks great and seems to be a bit smoother. Fixes some errors with the sd-card.

/Edit 10.05.2011
One week ago I bought the Archos 70 8GB Internet Tablet and this is a smashing difference to the HT. It really IS like the I-Pad, though a little bit more handy. Very smooth and incredibly fast in comparison to the HT.
So please forgive me when I have to say good-bye to this forum as I am going to sell the HT on Ebay this week.
I will move on to the Archos 70 forum, but defintely will be available on archosfans.com.

Thanks to all that did a great job on the development of the custom ROMs and - keep it up !

/Edit 16.05.2011
archospapyo released a promising edition of 2.2 Froyo being rootet with market and 314 MB app space. I am not able to test it anymore as I sold my HT, but fessor did some first testing. See same thread that contains the img-files above.

Last edited by asgarond on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 39 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If anyone is interested in testing more items than the listed ones please append your requests below in a post.

(Or if any of them are obviously wrong please tell me)

Last edited by asgarond on Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also recently picked up a v1 (at office depot), and am curious as to which good/bad features are in the different custom ROM's.

I still have some more reading to do, but what I see so far is that the "Himself" ROM is probably what I would be looking for since it is based on the factory ROM, and still has all the hardware support...

Do any of the ROM's include the full Market app?
Do any of the other (2.x) ROM's have the "soft buttons" (back / menu / volume)?

A basic overview from the experience users would be appreciated, Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i am using sir dom's rom, and it works wonderfully. market works fine. i kinda would like to switch to himself's last version, because from most accounts it seems the touch screen has better drivers. but i am pretty used to this screen, and find it works pretty well. i probably won't switch, but if i was starting from scratch i'd probably switch to himself's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

As I promised here the table of the ROMs I have tried (wouldn't say tested, that would require far more work) so far.

I am going to add an evaluation later in this post.

This, of course, will be my own personal opinion. I do respect each of these programmers for doing a good job and still providing these fabulous ROMs to the community.

One opinion in advance - my favourite so far is speciallb/may's Beta 3 with 230 Megs of app space together with ADW Launcher EX.
It is a good compromise between speed and comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ADW Launcher EX ´╝ƒ´╝ƒ´╝ƒ

what is that???

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

with 2.1 beta 3 you can not play video at all?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

savage0 wrote:
ADW Launcher EX ´╝ƒ´╝ƒ´╝ƒ

what is that???

thanks

ADW Launcher is a so-called "Home-Replacement" app. With that you can tune the appearance of your Archos desktop.

The "EX" edition is the one you pay for.

Vendeta44 wrote:
with 2.1 beta 3 you can not play video at all?

With the 2.1 Beta 3 from speciallb (may with 230 MB) you cannot play video.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your research asgarond, you made my v1 Tiger still usable. :)

Can anyone out there with speciallb / may's ROM test Pandora. I start my stream, hear about 5 sec of audio and it cuts out. Although with Xiialive I can stream my favorite net radio station. So odd.

I've tested
- Google voice (works)
- Winamp (works) but seems kind of pointless
- Exchange support works great (using semi for work and play)

Now if I could get Pandora working ;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

At the moment there is no real custom FW that suites all needs.

The 2.1beta 3 is good, but strangely a lot of software doesn't run and
can't be found in market either.

It seems that there are some libs mission or the 2.1beta3 doesn't report as a real 2.1

However even Programs that work on cupcake(1.5) or donut (1.6) like fbreader, coolreader, tunein...
won't work in 2.1b3

The 1.6 FW would be the next best thing - actually it would be the best thing - because it is really fast, but there
are also problems like video not working (as with all custom FW), but there are also problems concerning audiofiles (some play, others crash player) and wifi suddenly stopped working (at least on my device).

So at the moment, the only FW that works and improves this device is YAR v0.28.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:20 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

I have created a utility for creating your own firmware from stock, see here.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Version 2.1 beta 3 will not be develloped any further at the moment as speciallb bricked his device unfortunately.
And I will start another try with Himself's V.028 as I realized there seems to be a different version with increased app space.

Are there any further requests from the community to do any checks on programs or functions in order to expand the table above ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for information, asgaround. I have installed v0.28, it works very fine. But you said, Aldiko 2.0 is running. I can't install Aldiko 2.0, so I have installed the older version - but without DRM. Is there a way to install Aldiko 2.0 on Archos 7 HT v1 with yar v028?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Installed the 2.1 beta 5 with 230 MB app memory.

Updated the testing table above.
It is looking good so far. First time I saw video on something more than 1.5.
Have to do some further testing on the videos and check if youtube is running.

/Edit
Did some testing later in the evening.
Unfortunately no root, although Universal Androot tells you so.
But Titanium Backuptold me it was no root and BusyBox couldn't be installed.

Last edited by asgarond on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

With the speciallib v2.1 beta 5 it sees the sd card as damaged. Any thoughts on this? With original FW it sees the sdcard with no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

tool4dgs wrote:
With the speciallib v2.1 beta 5 it sees the sd card as damaged. Any thoughts on this? With original FW it sees the sdcard with no issues.

I had that too. It occurs when you disconnect from USB. I just flipped out the card and put it in again.
Nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

asgarond wrote:
Version 2.1 beta 3 will not be develloped any further at the moment as speciallb bricked his device unfortunately.
And I will start another try with Himself's V.028 as I realized there seems to be a different version with increased app space.

Are there any further requests from the community to do any checks on programs or functions in order to expand the table above ?

I'd actually like to know about general useability.
Which ones flowed well?
Which ones felt good?

If they all had identical features, which ones would you prefer?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I liked the 2.1 beta 5 firmware but video support is not good. Only 240*320 QVGA.
The 1.5 firmware mods can play 480p content easily and video looks crisp and nice. Just for the video i switched back to the RK28.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:12 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Video is a good point for the 1.5. The video I saw finally in the 2.1 Beta 5 was not convincing (euphemism for rather bad ;) ). Also the YouTube did not work.

I have the ADW Launcher EX running that is assisted from 1.6 on which gives the desktop a very smooth scrolling (it is a bit of ipaddish look).

But I have not decided yet which ROM to keep int he end. I think I find it thrilling playing around with different ones, still. Maybe I get tired after some weeks setting up the Archos after every flashing again. Let's wait and see.

In the meantime I will update the table above with any results that I get.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did any of the ROMs support a USB keyboard?