Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Owner Reviews - 7HT V2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is a Sticky topic for Owner Reviews of the 7HT V2. Here is your one stop place to check user experiences with the 7HT V2.

Please:
1. Name Your Model - 2G or 8G
2. Name Your Country
3. Name Your Place of Purchase
4. Date You Received Your 7HT V2
4. Provide Links if you have an off-forum Review Videos or Articles
or
5. Review the 7HT V2 here with Pros and Cons

Remember you can EDIT your Review Post at any time if your experiences with the A101 changes.

Let's see those review folks!

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model: 8G
Place of Purchase: Tiger Direct
Date Received: 14 January 2011

Pros:
Works well as an ebook reader with Borders software and also the Overdrive Media Console used by the Chicago Public Library for ebook lending. It seems that Overdrive works with any Adobe protected epub.

Works well as a web browser minus Adobe Flash ability.

Works well for getting my email. I have an exchange work account, a hotmail account and a yahoo account and it works well to receive email from all 3. The first 2 I use the built-in email client and yahoo I use the yahoo app for.

usb stick works on it with a USB gender changer and the original cable.
A purchased micro USB cable works well as an additional synch cable
My microgear mini keyboard and scroll bar work well with the USB gender changer

It runs a lot of sideloaded apps with no problem. Among them are:

Titanium Backup works quite well on it as long as it has root access. z4root works well for that purpose.
As stated both Overdrive and Borders work well on it.
Facebook app and widget both work well
NPR news app. Even the radio streaming works well for me.
winamp plays my VBR encoded MP3s and my OGGs with no problem.
yahoo mail app

Cons:

The kickstand meant to keep it standing up on tables is completely useless as it does not account for the curved bottom of the device. OK, I've actually figured out that it's meant to be used in landscape formation, so then it works ok. Still flimsy though.

no Adobe Flash (the available apk does not work on this unit)

neither a USB camera nor a USB bluetooth dongle worked for me with the USB in host mode.

nook app from Barnes and Noble does not work.

Kindle app is flaky. It will spontaneously decide the books aren't readable (probably an issue with Amazon and its DRM) and even worse, when the book can be read it chops off the first line of the page because the status screen is covering it. Making the font huge helps in deciphering the top line, but it's annoying.

No google market (I know, not many tablets have it) and the built-in appslib is limited. On the other hand, slideme and freewarelovers have good selections.

Probably the most annoying: If I don't select the option under Application/Development to Stay awake while powered, the tablet will hang hard by morning. No amount of power switching on will bring it out of sleep mode. I have to use the reset hole in the back. I have a wooden toothpick stored in the tablet's case because this is such a common issue.

Last edited by amyo on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model: 8G
Place of Purchase: Webshop NL
Date Received: 13 January 2011

Why:
I was searching for a e-reader, but I saw the 7HTv2 as an opportunity to get known with Android.
I bought it when Archos said it had a capacitive touchscreen, but it's not. But for a resistive screen it works very well.

Pros:
Just installed Alkido and it works pretty nice for ebooks.
Webbrowsing is fine, as I use DolphinHD.
For email I use the standard app, with Hotmail syncin via Exchange. Works well.
AppsLib and SlideMe have the most apps for me (at the moment)

Cons:

No Flash support at this moment.
Flickering screen when brightness is at it's lowest.

Hopefully a 2.2 update will be available soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model - 8G
Netherlands
Dynabyte in store
02-01-2011

Pros

Very portable size, its great for watching movies or reading e-books (with aldiko). PDF is not a problem with a PDF reader.
Bought it for Ôé¼ 149,- and that is a really decent price to own a tablet. My gmail (email) works very well.
I use dropbox to sync some apk files ( for bigger or more files I use the USB cable). Installing is very easy and you get an error if a program can't run on the tablet.
There is enough space to install apps, not missing the apps2sd option that i have on my phone.

Cons

The CPU is too slow for HD games. You can't really play games on it, only simpel ones. Do miss flash support.
No Google Market, that would really be a great addition to the tablet.
No charging using the USB cable.

In the end I'm very happy with it and it's a good tablet to start with. Of course it is not an high end device but is does what it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model 8G
Store J&R
Date of Purchase : 12/22/2010

Actually I am very satisfied with my Archos 7 HT . Nice to watch HD videos , read books and surf the web . I watch Youtube videos trough Skyfire 2.3 but not directly . I go to youtube trough Opera and then they interact with Skyfire by themselves and I am able to watch videos directly . The only thing sometimes I loss the sound in the middle of a video , maybe because memory is not so big . Even I can watch movies trough JustinTV or live TV trough AmolaTV.com (sorry is in Spanish ) . I paid around 200 dollars including Taxes and I am satisfied . I can't get to the Android Market yet but I am testing how to do it . If anyone get more things of this Tablet please share here .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 7HT v2, 8gb

USA, California

Purchased on Amazon

Received my Archos on March 7th, 2011

INFO ON THE REVIEWIER: Because people buy these devices for various reason, I thought IÔÇÖd give you some background on my motivations for buying a tablet in the first place. I travel the world a lot and about 6 years ago I purchased what, at the time, was an amazing personal media player: The COWON A2. It held 30 gigs of memory, utilized a drag and drop scheme as opposed to Apples horrible (in my opinion) iTunes scheme, read e-text, had built in radio and recorder, and also had a battery that lasted 6 hours watching movies. It played nearly any format around at the time (again, unlike apple) and was a drag and drop scheme. It also had a <GASP> 4 inch screen which at the time was about as big as you could get it. Since I usually fly around the world, I spend upwards of 14 hours on a plane just getting from one place to another, so the A2 really fit the bill. Well, that was 6 years ago, and even though its been around the world with me three times over, it was time to upgrade due to a failing headphone jack (that a friend soldered for me a year ago when it first went out) and antiquated hardware/functionality (no wifi). I dislike Apple due to their proprietary cables and iTunes, plus I donÔÇÖt have much money to spend (I used it all on travel lol), so I was looking for something around $150.00 US dollars. I am ALSO visually impaired and therefore need at LEAST a 6 or 7 inch screen if IÔÇÖm going to be able to view the content. I decided to give the Achros 7 HTv2 a try, and have so far had a mixed reaction.

FIRST IMPRESSION: When I first turned the unit on, I was disappointed to see how basic it was: the touch screen was finicky, there werent many apps, and there was no market. I knew all of this when I bought it, but I also knew an active community of hackers and modders were diligently working on new image files, so I got what I expected. It fit nice in my hands, and the most impressive thing right of the bat that I noticed was its great display. Other units I looked at, while all displaying at DVD quality, did not compare to the Achross display. Being visually impaired, crispness in the image is very important to me, otherwise it all melds together and I cant see it. This isnt so much a problem on the home screen because thats smooth and crisp all the time.but crispness and sharpness are also important when im watching movies, and WOW did the Archos blow me out of the water when I ran one of its HD sample movies.
THE GOOD (part 1): The screen and video quality are great. ItÔÇÖs the perfect size; not too bulky, not too small either. I can fit it inside a jacket pocket, in a back pocket, or carry it around easily. The touch screen, after some tweaking (read in THE BAD section), is surprisingly nimble and smooth (well, as smooth as a resistive can get at any rate). Perhaps the best thing about the Archos 7 htv2 is the community of modders that have developed ways to make the archos 7 what it should have been from the get go. More on this later.
The Bad: Why oh why did archos decide to use a mini USB connector instead of the full sized USB that units such as the COBY Kyros utilize? There may be some perfectly reasonable explanation that is beyond my technical understanding, but this definitely counts as a BAD. In order to hook up any USB device, you have to find a female/female connector. Is this a huge deal breaker? No.but again, for someone who travels a lot and in my case cant see very well, thats just another cable to carry around (and another cable to get lost).
Appslib. Really?? Again, IÔÇÖm new to android and to Archos, so there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for why market does not appear on most tablets (including the Archos HT v2) so this is just a general gripe perhaps not specific to the Archos. However, this gripe is quickly resolved (see GOOD 2).
The heat that comes from the back of the unit is more intense than I thought it would be. It DOES get surprisingly hot. IÔÇÖm not sure if thatÔÇÖs the battery or a result of the screen. It took abiout 15 minutes turned off for the unit to return to room temperature.
Finally, although I donÔÇÖt have any other tablet to compare it to, it seems the power cord is haphazardly designed. I can easily see it breaking off inside the unit if it gets pushed or shoved the wrong way. This may be a standard design on tablets, but IÔÇÖd love to see a different design, perhaps an L shaped power cord that fits flush against the unit as opposed to jutting out like the current power cord does.

GOOD (part 2): Ok, back to the good, because most of my gripes specific to the Archos are resolved through utilizing images created by the community found right here in these forums. First off, a BIG THANK YOU to all the folks diligently working on improving the archos, and for that matter sharing your work with the rest of the world at no charge. Because of you folks:
I now have froyo running on my rooted Archos, which includes Marketplace.
Flash, youtube, etc. are now accessible to me.
Maybe itÔÇÖ my imagination, but after upgrading to froyo (also did the arhocs update as well)my touch screen is super smooth
Its relatively difficult to brick. I know some folks might disagree with me, and I myself was stuck trying to get my computer to recognize the unit after I toyed with it.but it still worked even though it wasnt recognized and once I figured out what was wrong and realized how simple the solution was, I felt much more confident in playing with it further. I have yet to stumble across a post on this forum of someone who has truly bricked their Archos (Im talking about the average or novice user like myself.people who are actually writing their own code and images may have a different experience than what I am talking about). On the other hand, my wife has bricked her iPod and Ive stumbled across numerous posts where iPod users have done the same.
CONCLUSION: I really like my Archos now that I have rooted custom firmware installed that gives me access to everything the Archos really should have provided in the first place. Keeping in mind that its one of the cheaper tablets out there, I think now that its froyod and completely customizable, it is COMPLETELY worth the money I spent on it(and then some), and a GREAT unit. BUTfor those who have no technical savvy or who dont like to mess with devices, Im not sure I would recommend this to them at all. In fact, if it wasnt for the community here, I probably would have returned this unit for something more customizable and functional.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks thepurplem0nkey For The Review.
I Was Thinking of buy one can u tell me how much did u pay for the same or any link of the same..
Thanks
Randy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Shouldn't this thread (and lot more)be moved by moderators to the "Archos 7 Home Tablet v2" section of this board?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Randy. I bought my ARCHOS off of amazon.com, I think I paid $140.00 US dollars BEFORE tax/shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Name Your Model - 8G
Name Your Country - Canada
Name Your Place of Purchase - Shopping channel, $169cad + tax but free shipping..and able to do 6 payments. ;)
Date You Received - Mon March 14th

Review:

Pros

Nice size and does everything I want it to. Had no trouble adding things like the skyfire browser and flash support. Everything seems to be pretty good so far. The audio quality has been good for its size and the video is perfect to watch movies and youtube at work. ;) I charge it up and take it to work. Last night I watched 1 movie,browsed the net,listened to the radio and the music I loaded all night for almost 6 hours. Also a couple hours before I left home and right now the battery is at about 25%,not bad since I have been using it almost none stop from 8pm till 4.30am now. The vendor also included aprox $198 worth of software for it that they provided a link for. I got the link with a password to download from a company called me too software:

Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite..
Syncables 360 Home Network Edition,
Syncables Mobile Premium,
Syncables LivePlay (1 year subscription),
and the kindle app..

I have downloaded it all and it works good. Have transfered almost 400 songs from my computer and a couple movies for use at work since I work nights and there are some lulls overnight. The couple extra apps I have added including tune in and energy radio have been nice.

Cons:

Can get hot at times and the wifi sometimes goes low but usually have good amount of bars on it. The touch screen has been a bit annoying at times but overall the responsiveness has been better than expected(so not really a con then I guess,lol) Has frozen up on me a couple times but nothing major.

When they were talking about it on the shopping channel I went to the net and researched everything it did and its limitations and overall find its good for the price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ive almost pulled the trigger on buying another one of these for the video playback compatibility alone. But quality of the unit sucks and I can't justify burning money on a potential cool gadget. After returning 2 due to separate screen issues Amazon wouldn't allow me to purchase a third and gave me a refund instead.

Name Your Model - 8G
Name Your Country - US
Name Your Place of Purchase - 149.99 Amazon.com +free shipping
Date You Received - March 12

Pros

Nice video playback, good colors, and wide range of formats play including 720p.
Customizable
Pretty decent battery life
Light and compact, and can almost fit in a large loose pocket
Price is low.

Cons

WiFi antenna is absolutely atrocious. If you aren't right next to a router you will have little or no signal. My old PSP is better.
Touch screen is resistive and plastic so its extra resistive and unresponsive.
Scrolling web pages or even the tablet itself is a huge headache. Constantly activate a link or an app when scrolling.
Using a stylus is mandatory when browsing or scrolling or you'll lose your mind.
Even with stripped down custom firmware upgrades its still glitchy and unpredictable. (an Archos standard)
Can play almost no games. Not even simple ones. Graphics absolutely suck even after killing all other running apps.
Some android market apps work, others don't. Some worked at first like Pandora, but then ceased to work. Pandora doesn't work with stock firmware.
Low quality all around. Low quality build, low quality software integration, low quality customer service and repair.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Maybe I'm not with you lot having purchased a archos in everything but name. It has eclair 2.1 and its pas terrible, as the french say.

Name Your Model - 4G
Name Your Country - France
Name Your Place of Purchase - Carrefour 129 Euros (major supermarket in europe
Date You Received - March 12

Its called a Touch Tablet with the Carrefour mark. No mkt. no you tube, and nobody knows it so no firmwares. Cannot find info anywhere and shes goin! back tout suite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
Its called a Touch Tablet with the Carrefour mark. No mkt. no you tube, and nobody knows it so no firmwares. Cannot find info anywhere and shes goin! back tout suite

There's an impulse buy. I have a problem buying cheap stuff too. That's why I ended up in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Model - 8G
Germany
Amazon - 109 EUR
In September

I bought the Archos as a media player to replace my beloved, but elderly Cowon A2 (Hello thepurplem0nkey! ;) ). I travel a lot and I am a TV addict, so I needed a device that would enable me to watch videos for longer than 5, 6 hours. The rest I really didn't care that much about.

Considering the tablet's price, I pretty much expected junk, and even though it's by no means perfect, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Cons
One of the two major cons is the very mediocre WiFi antenna. Being two rooms away from our WiFi point I only have one or max. two bars, but I can still access Appslib and download apps. I don't recommend it for surfing the web, though- I still prefer my laptop for that. So it's maybe not great, but not atrocious either. I guee everyone who wants to surf extensively should buy Archos' Internet Tablet instead. The second con is the touchscreen- extremely annoying at first if you're used to capacitive screens such as iPod etc.! But I thought of the price and eventually got used to it, and with a stylus it actually works pretty well. However, scrolling through menus isn't fun- I keep activating files or apps. I guess even with a resistive screen Archos could've done better.

Pros
BUT everything else works perfectly for me, and that's why I'm really happy with the device. It played all my videos (even DivX) and the battery lasted the promised 7 hours (WiFi turned off)- so it met my expectations. And it exceeded them when I found out I actually enjoyed using the HT as an eBook reader (I use FBReaderJ, available on Appslib) and as a -simple- gaming device. Appslib turned out to be a little confusing, but I found everything I needed. There are a few free games I got off Appslib that actually help to kill time on the train or plane- nothing fancy (the bad touchscreen alone would make playing more complicated games a nightmare), but simple yet addictive stuff such as solitaire and minesweeper. So far, I don't see the need to upgrade it to Froyo (when it comes to gadgets, I firmly believe in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"), but it's good to know that I could thanks to this great community! :)

Considering the price, the Archos 7 HT v2 does exactly what the package promises and turned out to be the perfect choice for me. :D