Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone tried this program in the AHT7? If it does not break anything it is an alternative to other rooted firmwares and users can still use the latest update from Archos/Rockchip. It`s from XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Going by the forum, it doesn't support Archos 5, but doesn't say whether 5IT.

Probably wouldn't support 7HT if it won't support 5IT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed Androot just for the hell of it and to my surprise it did install and presented a nice screen asking if i wanted to root my 1.5 / 1.6 device. I did it....it did it`s thing and now i have a ninja icon saying superuser permission or something like that. I am not 100% sure since i have not installed anything requiring a rooted device or tried the terminal to probe the Archos but either way it is promissing and much simpler and faster than changing the firmware. Going to check for sure tomorrow.

Ps. The Archos 5 does not seem to work but the Archos 7 is only an Archos by name and it bares more resemblance to the chinese Apad than to an in house Archos device which migh have a more restricted bootloader i guess. Seems like good news to us that bought this chinese rip off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm glad it seems to work, keep the feedback coming and can you let us know what the advantages/disadvantages are over say Himselfs 0.15FW, (eg: Himself gives us market and extra app space).

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Damn it! Tried the Better Terminal app and at the $ prompt typed su and pressed enter only to get a "su: not found". So i guess i am not rooted after all. Time to go to the XDA forum and add my info i guess maybe in a later version.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Has anyone tried this yet?

I am extremely tempted to revert back to the latest official rom and give this a go. (Am runnging himself's .15 right not)

Might try it tonight if noone has reported a success/failure by then.

Edit: Oops: Didn't see the post above.

Try titanium backup - it will not run without root rights.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As expected Titanium Backup does not work claiming it has no root access....bummer. Back to 0.15 i guess or the next version on par with the official update.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey, good news: it WORKS!!

You have to select the Soft-Root option. I got root access in connectbot using su command, and titanium backup works, too. Well, it crashes sometimes after taking backup :-)

I dont know what exactly is the difference between softroot and hardroot, but according to the install logfile, hardroot trys to remount system partition as writable. But since filesystem is a read-only-cramfs, this fails. Softroot remounts data partition, and that is ext3 so it could remount and put su somewhere into that partition. Downside is, that softroot does not survive reboot, but i can live with that very well ;-)

I am using latest archos stock rom with the excellent touchscreen fix.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was able to get this working on mine too. Is there any way to get the market working now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Absolutely sweet.

I can confirm this as well.

Can issue su from an adb shell. The program asks if superuser permissions can be given... I accepted and now I can ls /data for example.

First order of the day is to try and increase /data somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:roll: This is what i call team work....weeeeeeee apart from bigger app space and the market we can go for the latest update from Archos! Ps. Better post a rebate at XDA..... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok. Now that we have root access, lets do something with it.

As a prelim, here is some info about the partition structure that adb + root dug up:

Code:

# /system/bin/busybox df -h                                 
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  420.0k    420.0k         0 100% /
/dev/root               420.0k    420.0k         0 100% /
tmpfs                    60.9M         0     60.9M   0% /dev
tmpfs                     4.0M     44.0k      4.0M   1% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock4     61.8M     61.8M         0 100% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock7     58.1M     31.0M     24.1M  56% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock6     58.1M      4.0M     51.1M   7% /cache
/dev/block/mtdblock9     31.0M      9.3M     20.1M  32% /data/data
/dev/block/mtdblock4     61.8M     61.8M         0 100% /sqlite_stmt_journals/sys_bin_orig
tmpfs                     4.0M     44.0k      4.0M   1% /system/bin
/dev/block//vold/31:8
                          6.9G      8.4M      6.9G   0% /flash
# mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / cramfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cramfs ro 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock9 /data/data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /sqlite_stmt_journals/sys_bin_orig cramfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /system/bin tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block//vold/31:8 /flash vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0

I think the way to proceed would be to work on:

1) Get one of
a) Apps2sd on internal flash
b) Apps2sd on sd card - this might be the easiest
c) Resize /data and /data/data

2) Market access

Would be lovely if Himself or Someone who knows more could come in and give me/us some suggestions.

I'm going to continue trying to figure out how to do these things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi! One question, anyone has tried to use the apk market install provided by Himself with a stock ROM with this soft root method?

I was trying to understand how the guys in XDA got the market working for the Augen (link here http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Market+Fix)

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:47 am 
Archos User
Archos User

pmarin wrote:
Hi! One question, anyone has tried to use the apk market install provided by Himself with a stock ROM with this soft root method?

I was trying to understand how the guys in XDA got the market working for the Augen (link here http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Market+Fix)

Patrick

I thought of doing this first. But I figured increasing app space first would be a better idea as the google apps likely eat a lot of space.

I've been looking around and trying various things.

Apps2sd should work but it requires an external card - There is no way to use the internal flash unless I am mistaken.

busybox has fdisk which might be good enough to re-partition /data and /data/data

I have not been able to find a parted executable which will work on the archos 7

There is an app called rom manager floating around xda... it is supposed to be able to partition internal memory. If someone were able to give it a try and report back here that would be very useful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Also, it would rock if someone could point me at some info on how himself's rom (for example) partitions etc when installing. Some info would be helpful.

And also also. We should check if the rockchip flasher can help us somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, i tried that apk, but it does not work because the archos image misses some essential files for all google apps. Sadly some of these files have to go to /system/framework but the system partition uses cramfs-readonly-filesystem. So even root can not write there, the only way is to mod the update.img.
Good news is that the mod for getting market is not very hard, it already works on my device. Increasing app-space seems more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi!

I have some quetions, as I would like to use the new official firmware Archos is offering. Is it possible to root this, in order to use the adhoc script-files privided by taniman? This is currently the only reason why I am not updating, but still annoyed from the screen.

Answers appreciated.

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:D Yep, the latest Archos update works nicely with Androot but with the Soft Root option only. You are rooted until:
a) you decide to unroot or b) you reset or reboot your device.
For ease of use you can place the Androot widget on your "desktop" making it easier to root or unroot, a small padlock icon simplifies the action.
"in order to use the adhoc script-files privided by taniman" i have no idea if these work, sorry my time is going to see if i can find an easy way to get this el cheapo Archos to stream data from a Netgear Stora without using NFS!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

vdelf,

How did you get the market to work with the new firmware? I am more interested in the market myself than the larger app space or google apps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am able to boot into recovery mode using Quick Boot (its in appslib) but su doesn't work in that mode.

Anyone know a way around this? Essentially we need to execute the soft root in recovery mode.

Also, does anyone know how to move around and 'click' in this mode? I can't seem to figure this out since we have no hardware controls...