Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What we need is (in all my ignorance mind you) to put something like this working:
http://www.droid-den.com/phone-guides/p ... htc-desire
It means more app space and bigger cache maybe? just saw it for the first time but seems interesting. Don`t know if it is doable in the A7HT with Androot but it might...

Ps. more info:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Apps2SD
and
https://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/A2SD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Bungle wrote:
What we need is (in all my ignorance mind you) to put something like this working:
http://www.droid-den.com/phone-guides/p ... htc-desire
It means more app space nad bigger cache maybe? just saw it for the first time but seems interesting.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of these... The latest versions of apps2sd will do everything for you - they will wipe, partition the card, set up the simlinks and basically make it a one click process.

I really don't want to have to insert an extra memory card just to increase app space (and I believe removing the card leaves the device somewhat inoperable). When I have a little more spare time (read: over the weekend) I am going to take an apps2sd apart and try to replace /system/sd with /flash... that should do the trick (We'll have to be careful to point it at the right partitions on the archos too).

I've decided that this is better than just re-partitioning somehow as it will not require the use of RKandroid when flashing the official rom again (or a newer version)

Will post on progress. I'm basically learning this stuff as I go along.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

biggest problem for me is, that the /flash partition and also sdcard uses fat-format as default. That causes problems with the linux file permissions, fat does not support them. Has anyone tried to insert a ext3-formated sdcard? It would speed up testing if the 7HT mounts it. ATM i have no spare micro-sd.

Another way could be compiling loop-support for kernel and mount an ext3-image-file from sdcard or internal memory. That way we dont need to change any partition type. But i am not sure about loop-support. Does this work as a module?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

vdelf wrote:
biggest problem for me is, that the /flash partition and also sdcard uses fat-format as default. That causes problems with the linux file permissions, fat does not support them. Has anyone tried to insert a ext3-formated sdcard? It would speed up testing if the 7HT mounts it. ATM i have no spare micro-sd.

Apps2sd partitions an sd into an ext3 filesystem - thats how it works on every android device that it works on. I'm 90% sure that the Android on our Archos will mount an sd card that has an ext3/ext2 partition on it.

The linux kernel in the archos supports it for sure (/data is ext3)... but we'll have to check if there is something preventing an ext3 formatted micro-sd from being mounted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I believe one can partition the SD card so you can have a ext3 partition and probably a Fat32 one. It would be a question of pointing the device┬┤s operating system to the right places. With a 16gb or 32 gb card reserving 4gb to ext3 for use with Apps2sd+ we can operate the device quite well (except when it is out i guess). It is doable but the A7HT is a new beast of burden.

Please check out this link, this guy got busy with busybox which we already know it`s in place:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?p=3644916

And in an slightly unrelated affair:
https://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/w ... DiskFormat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yes, one can partition most USB devices (hard drives, SD cards in USB readers) to many different partition types. If you have a "standard" linux, one uses the command fdisk (or cfdisk) to create the partition and then mkfs command to create the appropriate file system (FAT32, EXT2, EXT3, etc.). I use "Linux In A Nutshell" book as a reference. It explains the process.

I can be a bit dense sometimes. I have tried Androot with the 15 Sept. 2010 image and had no success. I have been look for the softroot option with no luck. The androot application has root options, root Android 2.0/2.2, root Android 1.5/1.6, and no super user only. I tried pressing the square block (normal options bar) in the top bar with no luck. What have I missed? Thanks in advance for any help.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

JustGreg wrote:
I can be a bit dense sometimes. I have tried Androot with the 15 Sept. 2010 image and had no success. I have been look for the softroot option with no luck. The androot application has root options, root Android 2.0/2.2, root Android 1.5/1.6, and no super user only. I tried pressing the square block (normal options bar) in the top bar with no luck. What have I missed? Thanks in advance for any help.

The '1.6.2 beta 5' version has this feature - are you using this?

It looks like fdisk can't resize so much as delete and recreate a partition around data. I can probably figure out how to decrease /data but I am not sure if there is any simple way to increase it.

Will keep looking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks, charge1313. You identified my problem. I am not using the beta. I will download and try it. EDIT: Yes, that was my problem. I installed v1.6.2-beta. SU now works. Thanks again for the help

My tip for you, if you have a Linux system, then you need to use GParted to re-size an existing partition and create a new one from the space freed up. GParted will also create the appropriate file system for the new partition. GParted is a good program, it will attempt to keep you from loosing data.

There may be a version of GParted for Windows. I am not sure because I have not used Windows since 1999.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

vdelf wrote:

Another way could be compiling loop-support for kernel and mount an ext3-image-file from sdcard or internal memory. That way we dont need to change any partition type. But i am not sure about loop-support. Does this work as a module?

Hi,

There is support for up to 8 loop devices, they do work already at least for mounting. As I understand it busybox has a bug when un mounting loop devices, but it could also be an implementation bug in the kernel, there is a bug regardless, loop0 stays listed in ps and you get errors trying to mount another image using loop. I have had some luck remounting a partition using loop. I'd recommend using the sdcard for storing fs images, the internal memory is kinda FUBAR, reminds me of those 8GB mp3 players you see on Ebay.

If you want to try other busybox files, there are several over a busybox.org for arm, different versions, best to compile the latest against the Archos toolchain. I'll take a look at it sometime myself, just have to create a compile environment.

User fun over at slatedroid had a combo boot/system ext3 partition on his sdcard working, all you do is modify the parameter file to point it at the sdcard device (mmc..0p1) instead of the mtd boot partition.

BTW, you don't use fdisk with the tablet, there are no partitions like in hard disk partitions, more like dividers defined on the command line to the kernel. Only point in using fdisk is on the sdcard itself, and best done in a card reader on a PC, not from the tablet.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Himself wrote:
BTW, you don't use fdisk with the tablet, there are no partitions like in hard disk partitions, more like dividers defined on the command line to the kernel. Only point in using fdisk is on the sdcard itself, and best done in a card reader on a PC, not from the tablet.

Cheers!

I thought so. I was hoping there would be an easy way to increase /data and /data/data without needing the installation of a new rom.

I thought they might be partitions in the traditional sense... but from the looks of it... they are not.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You are certainly use loop@ in init.rk28board.rc for data to be a file on your sdcard, you just have to mount the sdcard first. Only problem I would see is the system deciding to unmount the sdcard for whatever reason, plugging in the usb cord, etc. You can use /flash instead for the files, it will work but be still as risky as having it on sdcard, when the usb cord is plugged in, your data and /data/data would be offline.

BTW, if you are going to take page cache off of /data/data, mount it elsewhere, it's extra space you can use for something and it seems to like be available to be e2fsck checked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Walmart had 2 Gigabyte microSD cards for 10 dollars. I got one. I used Gparted to resize the FAT16 partition and created an ext3 Linux partition of about 756 Megabytes. I put in my Archos 7 with vdelf modified image for Google Market (works well). I also have Anroot v1.6.2-beta, which allows Better Terminal Pro to have root privileges. With the modified microSD card in the Archos, I can see the Windows partition, but not the ext3 partition.

The lack of the ext3 partition means it is not mounted. I went looking for it under /dev/block directory. With my Puppy Linux, it would be listed as sd##. Nothing like that name. Any ideas on what the device name would be with Android?

I willing to experiment to see how App2SD works. I need some pointers on it.

Thanks for any help on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 probably

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sorry, Himself, it is not /dev/block/mmcblk02p2.

I determined the name of the device for the removable microSD card. It is /dev/block//vold/179.# I had to look at the mount command output for both my normal microSD card and the modified one along with what change in /dev/block/ directory. For the mounted file systems, there is no reference to mmcblk02**.

The value of # equals 0, 1, 2. The value of 0 is the first partition, a small 2 Megabyte unused space on my card. The value of 1 is the second partition, the normal VFAT (Windows) partition. This is the partition (179.1) that is automatically mounted at boot time. The value of 2 is the new ext3 type partition (third on
the card). It is not automatically mounted.

The ext3 partition can be mounted. I had to create a new directory as a mount point (/data/extra) You have to be "root" to create the needed directory. The partition can mounted with the following command from a root shell:
mount /dev/block//vold/179.2 /data/extra

A file manager program with root permissions will see the ext3 partition and its contents.

For Apps2SD, I was hoping that Archos Android would have a file system table (/etc/fstab) file. It does not have "/etc/fstab". If it a did have the file
system table file, then make an entry in the table would allow the partition to be mounted at boot. To make the partition be mounted at boot would require
the image file to modified, which is beyond my skills.

I hope this helps.

Postscript: I will look for an entry of mmcblk02p2 to see if there is a entry in /dev directory. The Archos Android does not use the conventional Linux names for storage devices. That name makes as much sense as the one I found. I will report the results. There is no entry of mmcblk02p2. There is an entry mmcblk0p2. Tried to mount mmcblk0p2 without any luck. It failed. It appears it is not a "real" device.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I dont know what exactly is the difference between softroot and hardroot, but according to the install logfile, hardroot trys to remount system partition as writable. But since filesystem is a read-only-cramfs, this fails. Softroot remounts data partition, and that is ext3 so it could remount and put su somewhere into that partition. Downside is, that softroot does not survive reboot, but i can live with that very well